ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

digital thermometer in throttle body

clio williams, Ph1 172

There was a topic on this a while ago about fitting one of those digital thermometers into the air box to see how cold the air is entering the throttle body. Anyone done this?

You can get them from halfords cant you? have a sensor and a wire that runs to the display that could be fitted inside the car.

FROM A THREAD BY JIMBO>>................

yeah ive had a set up like this for the past 2yrs in my valver. i fed the lead thru the bulkhead and into the airbox/sealed air filter, and screwed it directly beneath the heater controls on the 19. works a treat. with induction kit, underbonnet temps can reach 50degrees on a cruise, wile sat in traffic, the temp goes off the scale. with a sealed air pipe from the frotn bumper, to the standard air box, the temp never goes above 15degrees c even during hot summer days wile driving. i have had -2 on the air temp in airbox during winter. the car shifts so much then!

I think it was a Halford one if I recall. If you do a search for it there is alot of replies on the topic paul.

Hope this helps.

Mike

how can you lower ait temp!!!

Wind chill doesnt apply to non living things!

If its 30 deg outside, lowest you cna get is 30 deg!

clio williams, Ph1 172

I know what you mean. But the temp from outsides gonna be lower than in that engine bay at least lol.

clio williams, Ph1 172

anyone else know anytthin about this? wheres the best place to thread a wire through on a 16v?

£20 will get you a wireless one from Mapplins. It comes with one sensor but you can buy up to 2 more sensors to use with it (throttle body, engine bay and external or something?!). The Halfords ones look sh*te (in typical Halfords fashion, of course).

Rhys

clio williams, Ph1 172

Cool they work without wires? they sound good. how does that work then? any idea what the maplin ones look like?

Clio 1.6 16V

Rhys mate .... how do you plan on getting the remote sensor from the Maplin model inside your throttle body? Looks to me like the remote bit is a box with batteries and not a small temp sensor probe on the end of a wire. :confused:. Im keen to set a temp sensor too as Im soon to design a heatshield/air duct for my K&N IK. Not sure if this setup will be any good? Neil

Clio 1.6 16V

Hi Paul, yep that one looks better, only problem is that product is now discontinued. Another possibility is one from RS Components .....

Part No: 427-477 @ £9-20 +VAT & del

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/search/SearchDisplay.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0786724720.1051046796@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadcidkfklgkcfngcfkmdgkldfhk.0&SearchType=quick&SearchText=427-477&quickSubmit=Gohttp://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/search/SearchDisplay.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0786724720.1051046796@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadcidkfklgkcfngcfkmdgkldfhk.0&SearchType=quick&SearchText=427-477&quickSubmit=Go

Got one of these in front of me at the mo (forgot I had it in among all me junk!). Has about 3m of cable and sensor is a small sticky backed pad about 10mm diameter. Could be a pain to get through a bulkead - may have to cut and rejoin wires. Or for temporary measurement could take the wire out between bonnet rear and bulkead and blutac the display unit temporarily on the outside of the windscreen so that yu coud read the temp as you move.

Hmm....yes, see what you mean, but I wouldnt put a sensor after the airfilter ,myself. I was going to do this a while ago but put it before the airfilter. Would be too scared to put a foreign object after the airfilter. I cant just see the smashed up engine now!

Rhys

i had one of the halfords ones in my cross over pipe on the 5 turbo engine, it only lasted about a day before the temp sensor came flying off the wire and i was getting no reading at all then.

clio williams, Ph1 172

Just been trying a thermometer out from halfords. It has an inside temp and an outside one on a wire.

I fitted it first near to the unboxed induction kit. Let the engine get to temp then took the car for a steady drive of about 50mph. The temp was at like 39 degrees C pretty much the whole time and got hotter as I slowed down obviously.

Then I put the sealed air box on with the induction kit inside and placed the sensor inside the box around the middle sort of area of the filter. I had a cold air feed running from the grille and from the bumper.

The temperature drop on the same road at the same speeds dropped to around 25 degrees C.

The ouside temp was 13 degrees C today so a pretty average day and tests were done directly after one another. and I let the engine get to full temp before testing.

I think with a scoop of some sort the temp could be reduced even lower.

I read that for every 2degrees temperature drop performance is increased by 1%. So if its nearly 15 degrees C the performance should be around 7.5 % better. Not sure how you would work that out in BHP though.

BMW 320d Sport

I just picked one up from Maplins today. A small digital readout with a 3m wire and a small probe at the end about the same size as a a banana plug. Now I just need to find where I can put it in the inlet tract so that boost pressure wont blow it out.

clio williams, Ph1 172

hehe. I havent got that problem. The one I got was £14,99. bit the silver one. looks ok, has a backlight too but works off fag lighter so think ill run a power source from somewhere else as it has a light sensor so just comes on when dark. any idea where the best place to run power from? maybe run one from the clocks so comes on when i turn dash lights on?

Lionel Richie

Paul, wire it into the back of the fag lighter, it has an illuminated part to it (blue wire on the back) also, so it will come on with your lights

Yellow/red = live

Black/Brown = -

BMW 320d Sport

if you dig out the illumination dial on your dash board, you will find an earth voltage and a varying voltage up to 12v when you move the dial (with the lights on). That voltage is the one you want to hook up to any illuminated gauge, so it will turn on and fade with the normal dashboard lights.

BMW 320d Sport

You need a multimeter really. Then you just hook up the earth line to your ignition barrel and test the voltage you want with the other probe.

clio 20v

i had he silver halfords one but mine had batteries temps could get upto 60 deg in traffic even bein 10 outside

couldnt really notice a massive diff in performance tho first startin off after it bein 60 deg was a bit sluggish but soon as u were movin it was as normal

mite get another cos was thinking of making a shield for the hillpower ind kit an see if it drops intake temps

adi

clio williams, Ph1 172

The one I got is pretty good. It takes batteries but the backlight relies on a 12v source. It has a light sensor anyway so only comes on when its dark. I just need a live that comes on when you start the car or turn the lights on.

clio 20v

prob best take it from behind ur head unit then orange is usually lights and red switched live (this is wiring on head unit btw )

a multimeter is worthwhile investment or even a 12v lamp to check will do

adi