ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dirt inside the headlight...Can I get it out anyway ?

BMW 330ci
Basically inside my passenger side headlight I seem to have loads of dirt inside there, I pressume this is down to the fact there is no covers on the back where the bulbs go.

So I was wondering if there is any way I can it out, I was thinking of taking the headlight off, along with the bulbs, and then getting a small brish e.g toothbrush, or a cotton bud inside there. But is there another way, such as taking the headlight apart, this seems a bit risky though tbh.

Pics of the headlight with the dirt inside.

6715609093_64a2019d50.png

IMG_1206 by Brad-Smith, on Flickr

6715613089_eb8294f0c0.png

IMG_1207 by Brad-Smith, on Flickr

Pics of the driver headlight with no dirt inside as a comparison (sp)

6715617767_a978248532.png

IMG_1208 by Brad-Smith, on Flickr

6715622061_2e629dc75e.png

IMG_1209 by Brad-Smith, on Flickr

Ph2 Flamer
Surely I would get a small amount of water it there ?

Yep you'll have water in there but if you put it somewhere really warm for a few hours (airing cupboard or similar) it'll evaporate away.

The alternative if you don't have time is stick it in the oven for 30mins at about 70 degrees centigrade. No where near hot enough to melt the plastics but soon dries the water out.

BMW 330ci
Surely I would get a small amount of water it there ?

Yep you'll have water in there but if you put it somewhere really warm for a few hours (airing cupboard or similar) it'll evaporate away.

The alternative if you don't have time is stick it in the oven for 30mins at about 70 degrees centigrade. No where near hot enough to melt the plastics but soon dries the water out.

Putting it in the oven for 30 mins , sure that would melt it ?

I'm thinking of maybe getting a toothbrush or cotton bud in there first

corsa D / 172 clio
i got a load of condensation in one of my xeons and did the hair-dryer trick thru one of the bulb access holes

got rid of the water but now i have water marks all over the inside of the lens!!

im going to try and get it apart when i get time!!

BMW 330ci
That was what I was thinking of doing getting the hair dryer in there. But if I end up with water marks. Sounds just as bad if not worse than my problem ATM :s

corsa D / 172 clio
do you know if your headlights have got metal clips holding it together?

the newer ones are plastic welded together but the older ones have 3 metal clips where the welds are on the newer ones (ive confused myself with that lot)

ive taken a older light apart (lens off) before but the newer ones are stuck on too tight to get off.

if yours have the metal clips i would get the hair dryer out and get the lens off mate

corsa D / 172 clio
ps you use the hair dryer to soften the black mastic sealant that seals the light and you can get a tube of the sealant from any body shop for around £6;)

Ph2 Flamer
Putting it in the oven for 30 mins , sure that would melt it ?

I'm thinking of maybe getting a toothbrush or cotton bud in there first

Put it in the oven at 70 degrees won't melt anything. If you poured boiling (100 degree) water on the lamps you wouldn't expect them to melt so if you put them in an oven at 70 for 30mins they ren't going to melt. I put my own in a few months back and it worked a treat(wouldn't have sugested it otherwise). It's just a quicker version of an airing cupboard really.

You want to use an electric oven with a decent thermostat on it though. Don't shove it in a gas oven with part of the light over the flame otherwise yes it'll probably catch fire.

I have to say the mineral water followed by a hair drier sounds a much better plan though.

I wouldn't poke anything in the light though cos if it falls in by mistake then it'd be a right ball ache or if you get fibres of cotton ball stuck to the inside of the lens that will also be annoying.

BMW 330ci
Yeah thats a good point, but I think Ive got a gas oven, so that is out the window lol.

Yeah tbf the mineral water does sound good, so just chuck some in swirl it around then get as much out the hole as I can because I need the dirt to come out.

Didn't think about if I dropped it haha, I would be even more annoyed, if I couldn't get a cotton bud out lol.

Thanks for the advise mate.

Ph2 Flamer
Yeah hair drier does seem to be the best solution. Tbh even if you just washed the dirt to the bottom of the headlight it would be very hard to spot sat along the bottom.

Another method I just thought of which I used to get a stone out of my engine is: Get a hoover and put the narrowest attachment you've got on the end. Then get a length of flexible plastic tubing about 4mm in diameter. Gaffer tape that into the hoover attachment so you've got a good seal and you've made a long thin hoover tube you can poke into your headlight and suck up the dirt. No danger of dropping anything else into the headlight and saves messing about with water and electricity.

ITB BG 182
water and hoover? I hope you aint got a xenon power pack?

How i cleaned mine out was take all the fitments off, take all the bulbs out, flush some water through it, emptied it all out then i used a form of alcohol for the last part. Emptied that out and left it in a warm area for the rest to evaporate.

BMW 330ci
water and hoover? I hope you aint got a xenon power pack?

How i cleaned mine out was take all the fitments off, take all the bulbs out, flush some water through it, emptied it all out then i used a form of alcohol for the last part. Emptied that out and left it in a warm area for the rest to evaporate.
They wouldn't be used at the same time. They are two different ideas mate.

And cool I'm going to think about which idea I'm going to use
Also, if/when you get round to this.. buy some boots so it doesn't just happen again after a week FFS ;)

Buy some boots ?

BMW 330ci
Thanks I was actually trying to think what they would be called as they are missing. Any idea where I can get some from ?

Ph2 Flamer
Think i've got a full set of the rubber covers knocking about spare if you want em. I'll bung em in a jiffy bag for the cost of the postage. Drop me a pm if you want them.