ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you get a fault code with the coil pack is on its way out?

E92 M3
hi, basically my car has 'stutted' for a couple of seconds, twice in the last few weeks. This has only happened on a morning. Well before today i was convinced it was the coil pack however i have borrowed my mates code reader and the only code i got was 'ox senser heater circuit malfunction' which i wouldn't have thought caused my car to 'stutter'

Any ideas?

Thanks
Scott

E92 M3
yes i know that is the lamba sensor but would that make my car stutter? am just surprised that my car has stutter and no code has come up?

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
a lamda can cause a quick fire stutter, as it brings the Engine management light on as the fueling is quickly changed. I know your light isnt on, but if its logged a Lamda fault, its obviously causing an issue there, and the other question u asked... yes coil packs do bring up error codes, but i did have had a seat leon misfire, that had no error codes, it was coil pack number 3 at fault. But when they give codes.... its usually something like, coil pack, Primary circuit A malfunction etc, depends which circuit goes down.

E92 M3
i did have a light on but it was only the lamba fault. if that is the case i have reset the light now i will see if the same fault comes on straight after the stutter

One of my coilpacks died yesterday, car was stuttering and juddering but had no warning light until the next morning when driving up a carrigeway, emission light straight on. Gave 'Pollutant Fault/Misfire' changed the coil and it ran fine. The code reader wouldn't clear the code and it reset after 20miles .

E92 M3
I thought if a coil pack had gone that it would bring up a misfire code but there is nothing. just one lamba code. so would you say that the coil packs are fine?

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
I thought if a coil pack had gone that it would bring up a misfire code but there is nothing. just one lamba code. so would you say that the coil packs are fine?

like i said in my above post... they dont always give a misfire code, ive only ever had one instance, as mentioned, all the rest i do are logged as a misfire.

Is it possible the pack is on it's way out and not completely dead just yet? I'm not sure how the 182s coils are, in my ph1 they're individual pencil packs so are easily removed and inspected. Can you remove and inspect yours + sparks for any obvious wear/tear/damage?

E92 M3
i believe they are just pencils on the 182 as well. do they normaly show signs of wear? i was tempted to take them out at the weekend and get them and the spark plugs a clean before replacing anything

well my second coil/spark combo was all rusted froma small bit of water getting in and the plug was black as night at the base from poor combustion. For the sake of a single torx bolt and a tug to pull it out,l you might as well see if there's anything glaring!

http://i.imgur.com/z64KU1u.jpg
gives you a look at mine - quite a hires pic!

Last edited: