ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

down on power?

ph2 172
just come back from the nurburgring and was accompanied by one of my mates who just paid 600 notes for a s plate 306 gti now on paper my 172 standard should just pull on him but i was only just keeping up, it was quite annoying really mines on 60k with rs tuner map and itg panel filter did a full service with decent oil, gboxoil change etc only thing i didnt change was the spark plugs cause they were done not so long ago (according to previous owner) i think my exhaust was blowing ever ever so slightly, my question is where do i go from here to recoup my lost power?

Lots of Alfas
Id check the previous owner fitted the correct spark plugs (ideally should be ngk pfr6e). A blowing exhaust would cause a slight power loss.

ph2 172
Are you sure it's your car? Perhaps the 306 GTI is modified or a very quick example?

could well be was lowered and had a very loud exhaust thats all i know, did him easily around the track (handling) but its was just driving there and back had numerous amounts of races from various speeds and quite often he seemed to pull on me at best we were level pegging started winding me up after a while. checked a few figures around the internet and i should of easily pulled a car length or two, i will check the plugs and sort the exhaust, could do with a rolling road really, bit of a rant really, i look after my car and he doesnt give a monkeys about his.

They'll be less than 20bhp difference between your car and his. That equates to very little in the real world.

Cheers
M

168bhp arent they, though tbh i came across one once in my old car and it wasn't a problem....

he's either telling fibs about any modifications or you exhaust is hurting you. mines blowing and i seem to have lost some torque...

Ph1
Is your timing out ? - quite a lot of folk seem to suffer this due to back street garage belt changes.

Might be worth looking into.

ph2 172
i hope the timing isnt out had belts and tensioners done at hill power was bit pricey but came highly recommended, any easy way to tell if my timing is out? when i did a search alot of people said that if the exhaust is blowing it can make a bit of difference but i wouldnt of thought that much.

Last edited:
  clio sport ph1 172
well having owned a gti-6 before the clio 172 i noticed the clio pulls slightly more untill 5th gear, but where the gti-6 has a 6th gear thats wear it pulls away ever so slightly from the ph1 172, those pugs are under estimated and are very quick in every gear even 6th gear pulls like a b*tch. but 5th in the clio is where it still pulls but its not agressive.

ph2 172
i agree with you they are v under estimated cars but it definately only had the exhaust on it everthing else was standard and on 166k and puffing out smoke when giving it the beans(valve stems), cant wait for the release of this super inlet, think im gonna sort out a decat and stealth, drop some decent plugs in it check for any wheels binding or something silly like that, then go from there just hope there is nothing wrong thats kinda terminal ie compression

Ph1
i hope the timing isnt out had belts and tensioners done at hill power was bit pricey but came highly recommended, any easy way to tell if my timing is out? when i did a search alot of people said that if the exhaust is blowing it can make a bit of difference but i wouldnt of thought that much.

Their right it can.

I had my car on the quarter twice, once with a blowing exhaust and the second time with it fixed and the difference was half a second. Dosent sound a lot but thats like 3 or 4 car lengths from point to point roughly.

Taking it to a rolling road and having a AFR check will see if theres any problems. If its down on power by a fair bit it potentially could point to the timing.

However it could be, as a lot of folk have said just a quick Pug you came up against.

Rolling road would be a good starting point if your worried about the power of your motor tho imo

ph2 172
interesting may have been my exhaust letting me down then, it seemed to be struggling to rev like it was holding back a bit after 6k, i know peak is at 6250 ish but the top end revs seemed crap, typical symptoms of exhaust? im dying to get it rolling roaded/remapped but am so tempted by the super cup inlet jobby so im waiting for its release then have the remap done. whats this afr check you speak of?

PH1 172 Sport
air fuel ratio. Maybe find someone with an RSTuner who could do some diagnostics for you.