ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

drillin air box

Clio 182
Anyone tried drilling there air box on a 182 ?
thinkin about drillin mine but dont know if i will loose bhp

Audi TT 225
pointless, its sealed for a reason, drilling it will make it sound like an open IK but it will be sucking hot air from the engine in. May as well put an open cone on and loose just as much performance...

Uprate the pannel filter, uprate CAF's or get a ph1 airbox and ITG if you can afford a BMC or Maxogen.

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
I asked this a while back, no real point apparantly. Get a BMC or ITG panel filter instead

Megane 2 GT 165
Drilling isn't worth it.

Just pull out the upper CAF (with the accoustic valve in it) Just loosen it from the air box and leave it. You will suck in hot air, but the sound will be the same as a drilled box.

Tried it myself, the sound is amazing. On a 172 it is anyway.

Clio 182
yeah thought as much have just changed the panel filter to a k+n.
just got the exhaust left to do now,gonna put a miltek sytem on apparently they are 1 of the best options to go for on a 182?

?
sorry i dont know anything lol!

its this airbox btw

Photo-0053.gif

?
Dont want IK because of insurance problems, was thinking if I could dril/modify this air box... would be just the sound im after as I know i wouldnt get any performance increase.

Audi TT 225
Drill a hole in your exhaust it will sound better than drilling your airbox ;)

p.s. dont drill anything Im joking!

?
lol thanks for the "ps" :p

But since I have a spare airbox knocking about i would like to experiment lol... without harming performance/engine though...

Audi TT 225
That mesh would be restricting airflow through the filter, consider a aftermarket filter instead of IK? Would also be hidden for insurance purpouses ;)
Also its not gonna make masses of difference to an 8v, drilled, not drilled, IK or no IK.

?
That mesh would be restricting airflow through the filter, consider a aftermarket filter instead of IK? Would also be hidden for insurance purpouses ;)
Also its not gonna make masses of difference to an 8v, drilled, not drilled, IK or no IK.

Ok thanks

Does the cold air feed have a box attached to it?

Erm no just a simple tube from the air box to near the battery

?
Might just drill a load of holes then, and just see if theres any sound difference. Its only a spare one anyway, can always put the original back in. can someone please show me where to drill on that picture i posted? thanks.

Audi TT 225
If its spare you could drill it... but its a waste of time and a perfectly good airbox imo.... about as much use as an ebay electronic turbo charger hehe

You would be better off selling the airbox and saving the pennies towards a decent IK if all you want it for is sound.

Audi TT 225
Mine was much louder when I took the CAF's off but in the 172 bay its performance suicide lol

pull the hose out, run a CAF near to the hole

As above no but in the hot weather you might. Just pull it out and rest it over the hole you pulled it out of you still get some cold air and it sounds like a open filter. I done it once and never again just thought i would try it was told by a few people