ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dual Screen n00b.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, I want to set up a dual screen for my PC. No real reason other than it looks pretty cool and useful.

I currently have a Dell 22" HD Screen, and have sourced an Identical one, so I have 2 identical monitors, But what else do I need?

My PC is a Dell Inspirion 530, and I run Windows Vista?

Thanks

1. Plug them in
2. go to control panel
3. set the correct resolution
4. Set which screen is your main screen
5. Enjoy

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Depending on how you are going to connect them, but I'm a assuming VGA?? Two VGA leads, make sure your PC has two VGA outputs. Some graphics cards have two but some PC's have one on the motherboard an a seperate one on the card. Plug them in and goto to control panel have you can fiddle about with res settings etc. Vista will run two monitors.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I want extended I guess, so its streched over 2 screen and I can those awesome wall papers that go across the 2.

Im notsure my PC has twin ports for screens though! 2 secs

You definitely wanted extended, having duplicate would be kind of special.

If you want to do the wallpapers easily, get a program called DisplayFusion, currently rocking an awesome wallpaper across all 3 of mine :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Right, My current Screen is a BLUE VGA, plugged into like a white adapter.

MY PC APPEARS to have a second port for this, IVe taken a very poor, dusty picture:

D68AF22F-5FB2-4257-ABE8-648FDEA75C11-3001-0000039C4A43A121.jpg

Im guessing if I get one of those white adapters, I Can plug a VGA in and away I go?

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Mate, the white adapters are DVI connections. They're 300% better than VGA. (VGA = analogue, DVI = digital). You need 2 DVI leads, I'm assuming your monitors have DVI input? Completely get rid of your VGA leads.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Exactly mate. You may just need to play with your settings in your GPU's personal control panel (Catalyst for ATI cards).

IIRC DVI leads are about £3 on Amazon.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Exactly mate. You may just need to play with your settings in your GPU's personal control panel (Catalyst for ATI cards).

IIRC DVI leads are about £3 on Amazon.

How can I find out what spec my PC is (ie what Componants?)

I know nothing about computers, but it was quite expensive when I bought it (although it is a Dell? lol)

182 T
Start/Run DXDIAG gives you DirectX Diagnostics

Right Click on my computer and manage then choose hardware, Control Panel/systems and security/system gives basic info, also has hardware manager.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx will also tell you if you're willing to do an install.

Everest Free will also give you spec. DXDIAG is easiest though.

Last edited:
  Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
You can't have extended wallpapers unless you have windows xp :(

Or ultramon, but it rarely works...

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
You can't have extended wallpapers unless you have windows xp :(

Or ultramon, but it rarely works...

Not true. ATI cards can with Eyefinity enabled on Catalyst.

What componant is the one that will alow me to run dual screens, The Video card?

Yes mate, also known as a GPU. Do you know the make of yours? Right click the desktop > Screen resolution > Advanced settings. It should show your make and model.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
You Have: GeForce 8600 GT

Make sense?

Yeah mate, you have an nvidia card. Still retails for about £50. http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600.html

You will be able to use Dual Monitors with that but I'm unsure if you will be able to have an extended wallpaper. More than likely you will have the same wallpaper on each monitor and will be able to drag items over from one screen to the other. (Windows start bar will only show on your main screen.)

Eg -

poker-1.jpg

(I have 2 different sized monitors, hence the size difference).

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Psh, triple screen for the win. Four, if you count my iPod (using iDisplay), which I sometimes use.

Some computers also have HDMI outputs too.

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
My laptop has a VGA and HDMI output. Monitor in the VGA, TV into the HDMI, and laptop screen stays on.

A lot of the time I'll just use the laptop and TV.

Cupra
Do you use some software for that? My past three laptops have not been able to run three screens, in spite of having dual DVI or display ports etc. I've always got a windows error message to tell me it's not possible to have three active at the same time.

I got a Matrox box in the end!

For the millionth time YOU CAN HAVE AN EXTENDED WALLPAPER.

Use DisplayFusion, it does it all for you, you just supply the image.

And some laptops/graphics cards cannot run three due to how the ports are setup.

For example on my card I have 2x DVi, 1 HDMI and 1 MiniDisplayPort. The HDMI and MiniDisplayPort use the same bandwidth, and therefore only one can be used for a monitor at a time, and the 2x DVI are independent so I can have 3 monitors max (which I have), from 4 connections.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Listen to Matt (addicted) he is correct. for triple monitors you require an ati card from the past few years or a recent nvidia card, the rest support 2 monitors only.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Cheers for everyones help, still some fine tuning to do, BUT heres a poor pic of my minor set up, obviously nothing compared to most, but hey!

DA30D508-40B4-46B6-82F4-B24F943A69BA-194-000000100A66D36E.jpg

Still some fine tuning to do, but the El Classico starts now So Ill have a mess later!

Cheers everyone!