ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eds ph1 172

ph1 track weapon
Re: Eds ph1 172 - The soon to be controversial project!

not a clue how low it is to be honest. rears are about 10mm up from fully down, and the fronts are about midway. handling isnt great at this ride height though, and it'll be changing tomorrow

ed

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

I'm very suprised you don't like the handling! The car was set up my Mark Fish, and most on here really rate him as one of the best guys to go to for this kind of thing.

RS 172, you seem to want to know the height of everyone's cars, get some coilovers, and then wind them up/down until you're happy.

Clio RS1

I'm very suprised you don't like the handling! The car was set up my Mark Fish, and most on here really rate him as one of the best guys to go to for this kind of thing.

RS 172, you seem to want to know the height of everyone's cars, get some coilovers, and then wind them up/down until you're happy.

Yes you're right ! I've ordered my coilovers and I should receive them the week after next ! however I don't know what size is good to get a good handling and a good look ! so when I see a RS with a beautiful lowering I ask the owner in order to get some advice.

ph1 track weapon

Rob, yep mark did indeed set them up.

The fronts are fantastic, turn in is great, and the front feels very planted, but on hard cornering the rear bounces all over the place and feels quite unstable. Kinda thinking it may be due to the rear being wound all the way down, but not sure. Hopefully tomorrow should remedy it I hope. I know Danny never took it on track, and that was where i first noticed it, so it may have been set up differently for the kind of driving he specified?

Have been noticing the exhaust knocking at the front too, and has been traced to either the dogbone or the drivers side engine mount, so will get them checked out too. It's being fully corner-weighted so should be set up to perfection when i get it back :)

Lastly, I've been talking to a few people about some 'induction' changes, so may well end up going down a certain route in the future :)

ph1 track weapon

Right, car is all done!

Raised the ride height a bit, and found the rear shocks were set up completely wrong. one side was on 10 clicks from soft, the other 23!!!! So sorted that, and also had the car corner weighted whilst I was at it. Now both are done, the car is a completely different animal, and ride quality is a million times better!!!

Also picked up some new tyres................

ph1 track weapon

Just picked up some new seats :) going to be cleaned and repaired, and the backs painted a nice bright shade of green :D

Also got my 888s ready to go on, so should be done during the week.

DSCF1237.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Sorry if i've missed it, bu why is this controversial?

ph1 track weapon

I was going to do a few stupid things with it, but kinda had a change of plan :rasp:

Think maybe i should edit the title.........

ph1 track weapon

Right,

few more updates.

today had the vibratechnics engine mounts fitted, brake fluid changed for AP 600, and some carbon fibre blanks made up for the foglights.

have decided against the seats, as moneys a little tight and gonna get something a little more special in a few months time.

pics:

IMG_7561.jpg

IMG_7560.jpg

Ly meg R26

glad your looking after it, i know how much dan loved this car ( and still does) all the best with it. its a cracking motor

ph1 track weapon

glad your looking after it, i know how much dan loved this car ( and still does) all the best with it. its a cracking motor

I'm head over heels for this car believe me, gonna be trialling some new products on it soon too :rasp:

Clio sport 2.0 16v 172ph1

great project! love the car!

Stagecoach Ticket

how much was the seat repair going to cost mate? looked at a few dead sets myself

ph1 track weapon

they were looking at about £40 to repair them

mine are still available as such as not received any payment for them yet

ph1 track weapon

been doing some 'ghetto' mods in the garden this afternoon (not sure how i'm gonna explain the paint patches to my housemates). pics to follow soon

ph1 track weapon

Right,
so for the fruits of a days work!

day started by me and my mate Nick taking his focus RS up to X-Sport to have his coilovers setup and the car cornerweighted. Turns out that the whole setup was wayyyyyy to low, and weight distribution was appalling! An hour later, and Nick left very very happy with a car thats handling has been totally transformed!
At the same time I had my TRS tow strap fitted. Thought i'd go a little different to the usual 'Si' tow eyes and run a strap. Like how it looks, especially with the lime green tow sticker (thanks Ady). in the pic you can also see the carbon fibre fog covers. Really pleased with them!

IMG_7565.jpg

Next, I decided I wanted a change from the Oz F1s that were on the car. Having already bought a set of 888s off me that she needed delivering, clio-girl almost bit my arm off when she got wind of the fact mine were for sale. I want to run some crappy wheels so i can save a few quid towards the Rota Slipstreams that i ultimately want, and turns out she had a spare set of mk1 16v wheels going, so a price was agreed, and today i drove down to Bristol to sort everything out. Tyres were fitted to the mk1 wheels, then the F1s taken off and mk1s fitted. There were a few worries about rubbing issues due to the wider offset, but all turned out to be ok. HUGE thanks to clio-girls other half , Gaz, for helping me sort everything out when i got there

Not content with silver wheels, next stop was Halfords for a few cans of satin black. Not being one for doing things properly, rather than mask the wheels, i cut a 15" circle out of a piece of carboard, laid it on the wheel and sprayed away! Now obviously wheels are far from perfect, but they were dirt cheap and are only temporary so i'm hardly fussed. Havent had a chance to use the 888s in anger as there was traffic pretty much all the way home, but theyre definitely a lot stiffer!

IMG_7566.gif

And finally, I'm off to Brands Hatch on Tuesday. Cars ready to go now, helmet on loan, all levels checked, oil changed, brake fluid changed. As some of you know, I'm mates with Matt, owner of a certain business, so I'm doing a little promo work using these rather funky plates

Cue the haters:

IMG_7564.jpg

MK1 monster

Great stuff Ed, wheels looked great in silver when first fitted, look truly ghetto art work now. Tidy car, loving the Oz F1's :)

Gaz

ph1 track weapon

nick - tow strap was £11 off ebay. TRS jobby, so good quality too :)

finally got a chance to push the 888s this eve, and didnt manage to get them to break traction. can carry a scary amount more corner speed!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Nice job so far. IMO, you're a bit nuts losing the f1's as they owed you nothing, but if it's all in aid of some slip streams, then fair play.

Glad the r888's are doing you well.

ph1 track weapon

update will be coming soon, its changed a little from my last update!!!

Why blank the fog lights when they can be used for brake cooling etc?

ph1 track weapon

because in all fairness i wont be doing any more trackdays til next season now i shouldnt think, and the gains to be had from cooling ducts to the brakes is pretty minimal, so didnt see much point really.
have got a spare set of blanks i can hack up if needs be but prefer the look i have tbh

Also just thought i'd mention something that has arisen as work has been done.

the car was set up by Mark Fish a while back, yet a fair few issues have been found along the way!

- rear suspension was ALL the way down when i bought the car. surely this would mean suspension travel would be at its limits and the car would be on the bumpstops most of the time? sure, it looked good, but handling wasnt a patch on what it was once it had been raised 10-15mm

- rear dampers were set completely differently side to side. one side was 30 clicks from soft, the other 15! dont know if this was due to danny or MF, but made it corner well in one direction but not the other

- front dampers were set to stiff, meaning horrendous understeer, again something i dont know if danny would have done

Lastly, though is the slightly odd one! As far as i can tell MF were the last people to remove the suspension on the car. Danny mentioned when i bought the car that the top mounts were the only thing not to have been changed, so bought new ones to replace them with! They had been creaking a little too, so felt it was necessary

on removal of the strut we found the topmounts were UPSIDE DOWN! for how long i dont know, but its the first time i've removed anything since i owned the car, so know its not through any fault of my own.

so now its all been rectified handling has been much improved. Just a few more handling mods to do and then i'll be looking at brakes and possibly a cage

Last edited:
  ph1 track weapon

UPDATE!

Sorry for the lack of pics, but they'll be up soon!

Interior - The original interior has been stripped out and sold. Car was stripped to a pretty much bare shell, including carpets and interior plastics.
i bought a Cobra Evolution and Monaco off a user on here along with harnesses, and carbon doorcards from an ebay seller (keep your eyes peeled for a group buy soon). stereo and speakers also removed and replaced with a carbon fibre blank
Having seen the mk1 dash conversion done on a certain track car i'm really tempted to do the same thing in the future
Other plans for the interior include sorting out some sort of custom dash situation and also welding in a harness bar across the rear struts

Handling - since having the car corner weighted its just been a case of setting the damping levels really. fronts are now spot on, rears i still cant quite get right so tempted by replacing them with some revalved konis to get the rear handling i want.
Further to this I now have a spare rear beam that i'm slowly but surely building up with spherical bearings, camber shims (proper ones) and having it fully strengthened. i'm also working on a custom ARB that should aid the rear end even more

Engine - having found the silenced ktec centre section a little too quiet, i went and swapped it for an unsilenced one, and combined with the decat gives a much raspier and louder sound, exactly what i was after to be honest. although for some reason i cant get it to stop knocking no matter what i try!!!! otherwise i need to get a silicone elbow and breather and clean my filter out. happy with the performance so not bothering ploughing money into it

Bodywork - again nothing really happened. Am looking at a carbon hatch but cant justify the cost right now, same goes for a cage, but taking some inspiration from a fairly well known golf i'm tempted to go with the satin black approach
Also acquired a skoda splitter. looks v nice but catches on EVERYTHING!!!!

pics up soon as well as some build pics of the rear beam

as always comments and criticisms appreciated

CLIO PH1 172

sound good mate need to see some pics of how its getting on (why will it soon be controversial ?)

ph1 track weapon

the whole controversial thing was due to some silly ideas i had, and its just turning into a very much track orientated car now

Maybe a 172 Cup..

Can you change thread title Ed, I'm sure it's now getting on your tits people asking 'what is' or 'when is it gonna be controversial'.......

ph1 track weapon

i've PM/d asking but no response :(

few pics done by a mate. he was messing around with HDR

outside.jpg

Interior1.jpg

boot1.jpg

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Just out of interest, but why have you mounted the harnesses there? Surely that would be dangerous in the event of a rear-ender?

Whats wrong with the standard combo of rear seat belt mount and/or isofix point :)

CLIO PH1 172

really like this allot i need to get my front carpet out and the door cards off for some carbon ones !

cool photos to buddy

ph1 track weapon

Just out of interest, but why have you mounted the harnesses there? Surely that would be dangerous in the event of a rear-ender?

Whats wrong with the standard combo of rear seat belt mount and/or isofix point :)

its only short term dave, as i'm getting a harness bar welded in on tuesday. even at their tightest there still seems to be way too much slack in the harnesses (i can move a good foot from the seat) when on the isofix point so i put them there for the time being

adam, cheers, to get the carpet out properly seats need to come out which is a pain :( should have something up regarding those doorcards later

cheers

CLIO PH1 172

should have something up regarding those doorcards later

i take it you have spoke to them then :D

and yes im guessing its a seat out jobby o'well only 8 nuts :D

should be doing this very soon!

ph1 track weapon
So i'm at a stage where all the easy to remove stuff is out! apart from the tar sound deadening, but i know that needs doing!

so whats next? what else can be removed on the cheap/free whilst i save for the A/C removal bits

CLIO PH1 172
what does your dash look like ? as you can remove loads of that plus thers loads behind it that can also go !

Last edited: