ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eds ph1 172

ph1 track weapon
nick , take a look in the Group buy section. got one going on in there for the cards i have!

yeah think dash butchering is next on the list for me. posibly a job for tomorrow

ph1 track weapon
Having done a fair bit of research into it, and realising its a damn cheap way of getting into racing, i've decided that i'm going to enter the MSV Trackday Trophy for 2011 or 2012.

always wanted to go racing and can do so in a totally road legal car, so am starting on the prep:

shopping list will be as follows:

- kill switches
- full MSA spec cage
- MSA aprroved drivers seat and harness
- helmet
- race suit

and any other little bits that need doing!

ph1 track weapon
dave, have a look at their regs list, its fairly relaxed, and little needs doing in terms of prep. agreed that if someone goes into the side of me it could end in tears, but am hoping to get some small-time sponsorship that should hopefully cover the costs for the season.

Nick, i think the TT is basically a trackday where you can race, if that makes sense. cars are still totally road legal, classes based on BHP/ton, and a lot of the car has to stay standard (full dash, no body mods, ride height regs). not looked at the tintops spec but i think its a little more advanced with further modifications allowable (ITBs etc)

its a £50 registration fee, then £299 a round, 4 rounds, 30 mins qualifying with a 45 min race, mandatory pitstop for a driver change.

Just had a look into it...

• Meet the basic MSA standards for safety (check out our Guide to MSA Scrutineering Requirements)
No more than 200 bhp per ton• Minimum weight of 750kg
• Standard exterior floor
• Wheels no wider than 1 inch more than the standard wheel (tyre width, not diameter)
• Slick tyres are not permitted
• Turbo cars must be fitted with a restrictor plate as per the MSA Rally Car regulations. This is to ensure boost consistency throughout the race

That will stuff quite a few people up on here if they decide to do it.

The pricings pretty extreme also, £299 for Brands indy, that gives you a 30 minute practice/qualifying then a 45 minute race. Not knowing how much a normal seasons racing is I'd assume that this trackday trophy rather expensive!

Also the requirements for doing the trophy (cage/plumbed in fire extinguisher/cut off switches) are the same as whats needed to the Tintops that Burpspeed are doing.

Last edited:
  ph1 track weapon
it appears to be the cheapest way to get into the sport though from what i can see. the investment needed to go into the tintops is a lot higher than the TT. i dont have the budget for ASTs or custom ITB setups like the burpspeed car, so this is kinda my path in, and if things went well, to progress on to the tintop series.

i'm going down to the final round at brands to check out some of the cars and see how competitve it is, and based on that i'll then be making my decision i think

True fair point I guess, you seen the teams that are in the series? There's a couple of 172's, and supposedly the bhp on there cars are only 140 and 141bhp. I'm guessing that there 200bhp per tonne limit is at the wheels instead of at the flywheel. Might pop down to the Brands Hatch round also to have a look...

182, 172 Track Shed
Loving it so far mate, our PH1 172 is a little behind yours in terms of getting it track orientated (slowed down by the fact the immobiliser kicked in and is now permanently on grrrrr) but most of the stuff you’ve done/got planned are the same as we have in mind

Been to XSport a few times and got talking to the guys there as well as Matt about his car and some of the potential plans for yours

All looking good bud!

Joe

ph1 track weapon
Yeah, I'm hoping the x-sport guys should be able to really help me out, both with car setup and possibly a few driving tips.

Dash being stripped out today!

535d / t5 caravelle
did you ever find out why all your suspension components where all set up differently, and things on the wrong way? was it mf who left it like that? i thought he was the man with suspension?

ph1 track weapon
theres no way to find out exactly why they were the way they were to be honest. i dont know if anyone touched or changed anything after it was set up, but when i took it to be set up again they were far from impressed with the way things had been done

as i dont know mark and havent had any work done by him i dont want to comment as to whether it was him or not, but initial set up was done by him yes

david hodson

ClioSport Club Member
When a unnamed company fitted my suspension they managed to put the top mount bearing in upside down
it failed and made a grinding sound,had to sort it myself :(

ph1 track weapon
without removing the bumper i dont mate no.

i welded it on to the bottom of the tow hook mount, nick172cup screwed his in i think..

mine definitely works tho. we towed it a good 1/4 mile behind a transit to test it!

i'll see if i can do one tho. pm me your number and i'll just text it over

CLIO PH1 172
lol ok so im guessing u cut the bumper?

just i want to fit mine but dont really want to cut the bumper up thanks anyway though

ph1 track weapon
yeah ever so slightly cut it yeah but its not at all noticeable. do it carefully and nobody will ever know

ph1 track weapon
more bits been done, namely more weight saving and some carbon bits being added.

rear axle currently being built up, should be ready in time for Haynes on the 30th October!

ph1 track weapon
Slight change of plan.........

having started to get a little bored of the clio, driving it a lot, and finding it too stiff and just not me, i had decided to move onto pastures new

A change in work means i now get to drive another car the majority of the time, and so when i get back in the clio i find it cracking fun again! So I'm thinking it's gonna stay for the time being, well the next 6 months at least.

i'm still gonna use it on track a bit but am gonna make a few changes.

Carpet and interior are going back in, mainly due to winter coming, and a bare car is fcuking cold! and also from a reslae point of view in the new year.

will also be going for a wheel change. The speedlines will be stay and be used for track, but for everyday/weekends I'm going down the 'stanced' route. Not sure what wheels to g for really. BBS RSs are way too expensive, and dont want any of the usual clio wheels. Liking the Cades Eros like Pasty had on his car for a bit, but also got a few others in mind. Any suggestions would be welcome though!

ed

CLIO PH1 172
I'm going down the 'stanced' route.

ed

damn you lol!! have a look at my project thread im also having the same thoughts ( well im pretty much past thinking im now doing the stanced look) i have also been looking at different wheels and atm im leening towords some d90s but not 100% yet :S

ph1 track weapon
I'll be going a bit more special than that!!! I'll ave a look next time I'm in front f a pc

CLIO PH1 172
haha niiice this is my problem i want special/different/unique buuuut have a tight budget so its hard to find anything really, will be intrested to see how this turn out ..

CLIO PH1 172
you ordered some ?? what you getting what you getting what you getting what you getting what you getting?

ph1 track weapon
It's a secret. Offset of 20, in a 15, black with polished lip. Not sure on tyres yet, gonna be lowwwww

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
People with these track car's are forever changing their mind's with them!!!

Looking forward to the "special" wheels though, I do like clio's on something different.

ph1 track weapon
Tell me about it rob. I was tempted to change as have a few quid saved up but kinda thought I may as well save a little extra for mods too

New wheels have been seen v briefly on another users car but nobodies run them properly yet

ph1 track weapon
couple of teaser pics. the wider offset isnt manly enough it seems so its gonna be spacer time soon, probabaly 5mm, but need to see what fitments gonna be like with tyres on first. Oh nad before anyone says anything, theyre not Fox Wheels

IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8339.jpg