ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eggy smell on start up....

Clio 182 FF
Morning all,

Within the last week or so on start up for 2-3 minutes my car stinks of an eggy smell (no dietry jokes). Its the same Cat Sulphur smell you get. Does anyone else get this? After running a few searches i have heard it could be mould in the air vents but it defo smells sulphury rather than a stale smell. Seems to go after 3 mins or so??

Any advice would be appreciated

Steve.

Clio 182ff
Where do you fill up? could be low grade or sub-standard fuel...if the fuel has an above average sulpher content then it is not absorbed quickly enough by the CAT, settles and is then blown out as an eggy smell on startup. (This can be made chemically worse in warmer weather).

happens a lot if you have an after market zorst as they need the right fuel mix, because the gases pass quickly thru the sports CAT.

I would wait until you have burn't the fuel off currently in your tank - if it keeps happening then it is mostly likely a sign that yer CAT is on its way out (costly).

wait it out and see pal. :)

Clio 182 FF
Hi guys,

From your mixed predictions it seems it isn't an obvious answer. Just to clarify its in the car with no aircon on or fans. Literally start up a horrible smell then down the road its all gone. I have the standard exhaust on there at the moment.
The gas i use is the Tesco 99 i always use so wouldnt guess that. I'll see if it persists. In the meantime i have one of those comma ac cleaners and i'll look to replace the pollen filter.
But all the same very annoying.

Thanks for you help

Steve.

S23

The Cleee-O
I had an eggy sort of smell in mine after a few months of first owning it, it was the AC for me (cause I didn't touch it and preferred to have the windows down). I just started up the car, put the AC on, fully on cold, opened all the windows and put it on full for about 4/5 minutes. Seemed to cure it for me. Hope this helps :).