ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electric light and stalling

renault clio 1.2 16v
OK after the electric light issue problem came on again I checked for a fault code. ( None recorded as no check engine light )

I then checked for possible vacuum leaks and all that was fine.

I have already swapped out the cranckshaft sensor, a new coil pack and replaced spark plugs due to the issue mentioned in the title. I have also used redex and carb cleaner but still got the light coming on.

I then jumped in the car and put my foot down on the throttle and got a rar rar rar up and down as I was applying my foot to the pedal and holding it on rev.

When the light finally went off I checked it again and I got a steady rev only real issue there was a laps as I initially pressed the pedal so now it's seeming more than likely that its a throttle issue maybe the throttle itself or an electrical issue going to it.

Any thoughts as I'm going to take it in tho the garage to go on test which hopefully confirms my suspicions.

Cheers Bill

renault clio 1.2 16v
As it's an intermittent issue I didn't have a phone or video camera in order to best explain or show.

Lovely language though Is it Hungerian?:cool:.

I guess I'll pop round to see a mechanic and explain it to them before it goes on the diagnostic.

Cheers

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It hits the rev limiter at 6250prm and you've got a couple of lights on?

Have you scanned with Clip, cheap code readers aren't always so reliable.

renault clio 1.2 16v
Have only checked it with a cheep obd2 scanner and accept it is very limited. It's a petrol engine I believe the clio shares its instrument panel with some diesel models to that's why it originally had me baffled as I was thinking aye it don't have glow plugs.

I was thinking it was doing the rar rar rar as it was struggling as I don't usually over rev engines thanks for the info on that. As you see the light only goes off after I over rev if I let it idle it is uneven and will stall I have resigned myself to having to get it on a test.

The only issue i had was that this light is rather ambiguous and reading threads elsewhere diagnostics have been unable to identify the issue if the light is not on at point of testing so got this clip to show the garage so they don't think i've gone crazy :) For my own mind i'm just trying to reason the problem out to either a true electrical issue or a fuel issue?

Cheers guys

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I literally have no idea what's going on?

A guy has a fault with his car so decided to bounce it off the limiter?

You know hitting the rev limiter is not over revving?

renault clio 1.2 16v
I have read so many posts on so many different forums all advising different solutions to replacing throttle body hard revving the engine replacing coil pack crank sensor spark plugs. One guy even replaced his radio in one thread. As there is no engine management light if the issue is not happening on test it seems the garages can't find the exact cause for this which I believe is very common with the clio's

Don't worry about having no idea whats going on here I have only seen one thread that the issue was tracked down to the Map sensor so that's another area to look at I suppose. :)

clio 172 phase 2
This light used to come on, on my wifes old 1.2. Found out that the earth strap from them gear box to the body was breaking. As it snapped one day and wouldnt start. Light never came back on ever since i fitted a new strap.
Worth looking at.

renault clio 1.2 16v
Cheers Steve_b9 will check that. I also checked the loom to the ECU yesterday and all wires are fine with no fraying but have wrapped a load of insulating tape round the wires for added protection. As a MAP sensor is fairly cheep I have ordered another to eliminate that as the issue. I have noticed the car seems to get the red light showing when the engine has been sat for some time I.E over night it will drive then the light will suddenly come on so it's all a matter of elimination.

renault clio 1.2 16v
Well after the chase around with this car I finally decided to stop chucking parts in to still be no further forwards.

Not to say I was begrudging but there comes the time when you have to throw your hands up and admit you have done all you can.

I had tried everything other than removing the throttle housing, but what was the point going to all that extra trouble to discover the same issue after?

So off she went to the local garage he agreed that I had done all I could without a diagnostic so off I trotted leaving the headache with him.

A few hours went by and the phone went. Hi I've had the car on diagnostic and found the problem ( The air heat sensor ) You know it. Under the rocker with the throttle body . 😢😢😢

The mechanic gave me two options do the repair myself or leave it with them?

After all the messing about I decided to take a hit and left it with them £90 later and shes running sweet with a temperature reading now of 20ish degrees.

Darn that pesky red electrical issue light.

Cheers to the mechanic.

renault clio 1.2 16v
Sod it two days no issues and red light back on same issue total joke and £90 out of pocket. Auto electrician next and if still no luck i'm getting rid.

Also went to change the Map Sensor as I bought a replacement which stated categorically that it was for the D4F engine and the TAWT don't fit am just wasting my money with this bag of siht.

Last edited: