ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Enamel paint wrinkling

Clio 197
Right guys so I set about painting front and rear nearside calipers and they came out great, or so I thought. Calipers were cleaned with brake cleaner, scotchbrite pad was used so the paint would adhere better and gloves worn so I didn't get any oil on any surfaces. Light coats were painted every 30 mins as the temperature was 20 degrees. The paint looked fine for the first couple of days and had cured fine, however a week later it's crinkled on the front (around and on top of the pistons) yet the rear caliper is fine.

Just been out to take a few photos and the paint on the front caliper has gone soft. I'm guessing the heat resistance of the paint is the issue, but would be grateful for any advice.

Before:
EwwYa0BKpNmVr-7MrgkHjJvAKY5fHUOYO50LZN3MDQQ

rT9T3RGWBk-34HtUElODNaEamyv0xD8x1snKOgp4Bvg

After:
z_bwXF0fz_PPZvp1c8bDxkd2L0g9yq0rXrl1EynhujQ

SswXqzD_uzCXzOVluvxwlSS5QZD55VOdkPPjhLh-nVI

Last edited:
  Clio 197
So after some research it turns out that I most likely didn't leave enough time between coats. I'll probably just be rubbing the affected areas with a scotchbrite pad and painting over them again, but with at least an hour between coats. Hopefully end up with a decent finish to which I can apply the brembo decal on top of. As much as i'd like a perfect finish, I haven't got the skill nor patience and it's not bad for a £6 tin of paint. I'll keep the thread updated for anyone else who may manage to mess up something so simple, like I have!

RB Clio 182
What was the weather like when you did your spraying and what environment did you spray in?

Did you leave the paint to harden long enough before you drove it?

I have never had this problem, smooth hammerite ftw:)

Clio 197
It was cloudy during the first two coats, but then sunny afterwards. It was a little windy but any contamination introduced by the wind would have come up as small bubbles, and there's none of those. I left the paint to cure for near enough 36 hours. It said 24 on the tin but I just wanted to be sure. I guess that'll teach me to buy paint of ebay eh! :D Although I should mentioned I applied the paint with a brush.

I've still got the offside calipers to paint tomorrow, fingers crossed they come out a little better.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
That's something called orange peel.
It's where you have put too much on too quickly.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Yeah sometimes the heat and humidity also affects it.

Had to spend a year in RAF training learning how to paint aircraft and parts. Orange peel is just one of those things.

Clio 197
Yeah sometimes the heat and humidity also affects it.

Had to spend a year in RAF training learning how to paint aircraft and parts. Orange peel is just one of those things.
Was there any anti radar paint applied too to aircraft in the RAF or is it mostly an american thing?

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
No the Anti Radar paint you are thinking of is only for the F117 and the B2. It is called Radar absorbent Material and has to have a special hanger and process to apply it. The make up of it is still highly secret. If you are ever at RAF Fairford and see the brown clam like hangers they are the special paint bays for it.

We had something called Infra Red Reflective paint that was applied to the vehicles and aircraft or solar heat reflective paint. But never that RAM stuff.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
5c48a7c8f78f8d6b9682437549743ca3.jpg

The hangers look like that. They are special B2 servicing hangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
What you need to do when repainting the brakes is wait until the surface is tacky but the paint does not stick to your finger. Then you know that it is ready for the next coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk