ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ending Clio Ownership.

306 GTI-6
Think its time i bought a car that doesnt fall apart every month.

Since buying it in May 2007, it has needed the following done:

New external temp sensor
4 ignition coils, which I was forced to buy from Renault as needed the car running to get to work, didnt have time to wait for Ebay jobs.
New nearside driveshaft,a s Renault told me they couldnt get ABs reluctor rings seperately.

Now, the drivers side ABS ring is cracked.

F**king nightmare, all that on top of the 36 K service and belts changed.

Going to have to sell my OZ alloys to afford the new driveshaft. Plus the windscreen got chipped by a flying stone the other week, so that needs seeing to as well.

Have therefore decided, that I am going to cut my losses and buy a cheaper more reliable car.

306 GTI-6
Add up the costs since January, I know servicing is an expected cost, but since January:

36K Service and belts changed = £515

Four new ignition coils = approx £140

Driveshaft replaced = £320

Other driveshaft to be replaced = £320

So in total = £1295 in 4 and a half months, what a bargain on a little hatchback eh? I dont f**king think so personally.

306 GTI-6
At that rate your looking at £6000 a year, take out the servicing and its still £2800 a year plus petrol, tyres, mot, tax and insurance.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I wish mine was that cheap, looks like youve been bummed for some of those prices though.

Some people have had coils, pads, driveshafts, clutches, gearbox, engines all go in less time.

Saying that though £1300 is a lot of cash in a few months.

306 GTI-6
in what way?
I need my car to get to work, if i dont go, i dont get paid. So like i said in original post, no time to wait for ebay specials, and everyone on here always says dont buy pattern parts, but buy renault parts.

53 Clio's & counting
i can understand having to pay that high amount mate,but for example my head gasket went on one of the sides of my scooby not long after and cost me 1300 quid, then again my clio has cost me 400 quid to keep on the road in 19k miles and 18 months,def could have got those prices cheaper too

306 GTI-6
i can understand having to pay that high amount mate,but for example my head gasket went on one of the sides of my scooby not long after and cost me 1300 quid, then again my clio has cost me 400 quid to keep on the road in 19k miles and 18 months,def could have got those prices cheaper too

So please tell me how i could have got those prices cheaper.

306 GTI-6

Yours has cost a third of mine, in 3 times as long, and yours is a RS, mine is a Dynamique.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
To be fair i won't ever be buying a Renault not in warranty again.

53 Clio's & counting

Yours has cost a third of mine, in 3 times as long, and yours is a RS, mine is a Dynamique.

like i said matey its been a bit of bad luck for ya,a good trick is to barter with a dealer (i know i work in one lol) its amazing how much money you can get off,also try price matching the labour too,we can knock off 20% off labor sometimes to get the work

306 GTI-6
Exactly, its been an absolute mare.

A lass at work has a J reg Honda CRX, just flew through its MOT, she just keeps levels topped up, services it, tyres and brake pads etc. NOTHING has gone wrong with it in 3 years, its worth about 2.5K.

Astra VXD xp with DTUK
i think this is just bad luck mate, ive had my clio 182 just over a yr now and when i first bought it, it needed a dephaser pulley which got repaird before i picked it up but ive neva had a problem since. The only money ive spent is on mods or service parts as i do the work myself.

306 GTI-6
Think its time i bought a car that doesnt fall apart every month.

Since buying it in May 2007, it has needed the following done:

New external temp sensor
4 ignition coils, which I was forced to buy from Renault as needed the car running to get to work, didnt have time to wait for Ebay jobs.
New nearside driveshaft,a s Renault told me they couldnt get ABs reluctor rings seperately.

Now, the drivers side ABS ring is cracked.

F**king nightmare, all that on top of the 36 K service and belts changed.

Going to have to sell my OZ alloys to afford the new driveshaft. Plus the windscreen got chipped by a flying stone the other week, so that needs seeing to as well.

Have therefore decided, that I am going to cut my losses and buy a cheaper more reliable car.

Ignition coils are only £10 new online. Don't pay garage prices.

A4 Avant
I don't think clios are that expensive to run, apart from servicing and cambelt when I bought it I've spent £35 on a new battery and a bout £5 on a huge bottle of screen wash in 1 1/2 years ownership.

306 GTI-6
TBFm bad luck would be one of these things on a car that has only done 27k, all of them I would say is because it is a French pile of S**t

306 GTI-6
I don't think clios are that expensive to run, apart from servicing and cambelt when I bought it I've spent £35 on a new battery and a bout £5 on a huge bottle of screen wash.

Its not the running costs, its the fact that everything is breaking in the space of a few months.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Unlucky imo. I've owned RS clios since 2004. Had nothing major other than service items. And the get driven HARD!!!

jamescolli

ClioSport Club Member
£320 ?!?
jeez im guessing you must of gone to renault for the driveshafts
ive just had one changed on my 98 clio for £120 with new CV Joints and Gear Oil aswell