ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine/Belt help

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Just abit of help amd advice.

My engine is out and stripped of the gearbox.

Now in my ford days CVH,Zetecs , Duratecs. You time by using the crankshaft clockwise to get TDC.

Now , my day started well. I was moving the crank to align the cams so I could lock them.

However my crank will not turn any further clockwise. I don't want to over do it incase it's taking it past the point of return.

Is this the correct procedure to align the cams or is not 🙄

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Never done it myself, I'm sure other people will have advice - but this YouTube vid from Stone Automotive might be useful:

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
This was the video I was following, my cams were abit out.

I'm preparing for the worst if I'm honest of , I've bent the valves. Ti's all learning and some times the mistakes are more expensive than others.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Assume cambelt is off? If its been running should not be miles out? Are you following the workshop manual?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
What have you loosened off, crank or cams? Assume you were 180 out so trying to move it round?

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Yeah both cams are now atleast 90 out , I went for the crank but it now is locked solid.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Assuming you have not had the bar on the crank, i doubt the valves will have suffered too much.

You hve two options really.

Turn crank back and get it to where it was pre lockup, nip it all up and get it to tdc and restart procedure.

Take rocker cover off and pull cams out. Refit it all correctly.

Follow workshop manual.

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Assuming you have not had the bar on the crank, i doubt the valves will have suffered too much.

You hve two options really.

Turn crank back and get it to where it was pre lockup, nip it all up and get it to tdc and restart procedure.

Take rocker cover off and pull cams out. Refit it all correctly.

Follow workshop manual.

Yeah, massively learnt my lesson thinking I'd have it sorted in an hour.

I've had a bar on it, so I'll take the rocker off and see if I can see if I've broken anything.

Thanks for the replies.

Going to go and have a quiet word with myself for being a thick cnut.

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Slight update on this.

No damaged to the valve or pistons. Not sure why it had locked out but is all free again.

New oil pump , belt and pulleys and crank pulley fitted.

However some absolute demon, had rounded the crank pin star bolt off. To which I had to weld a nut onto it. Does anyone know what size I need to replace it ? I can reuse my frankenstein welded piece for now. But cannot seem to find anything online what it could be.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Good to hear no bent valves.

Id imagine the bolt that goes in the block is still available from renault. Failing that stick a wanted up somebody will have 2nd hand. Its shared with loads of blocks from that era.