ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Detailing

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Well are there any do's and donts with a clio engine?

its looking dirty and old (even though its only got 25k on the clock) so i want to spruce it up so it looks new!

Golf GTD Mk7
^^^ it's good, but don't spray directly into the bay when you have a french car that has crap wiring anyway. Recipe for disaster imo.

Just using damp microfibres works just as well for me.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I would use apc and a brush then mop it up with MF's like Jonny said.

Even I wouldn't PW my engine bay!

Static Low
i pressure wash engines everyday. Never had a problem

but at home..i'd just soak in apc and get into it tbh

I wouldn't go near a Renault engine bay with anything more than a light sneeze. The electrics go of their own accord, let alone jetting gallons of water at them.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I usually go around the bay with Muc-Off and a MF towel, buff the inlets with some metal polish then wipe the plastics with trim detailer :)

Think it was powerwashed once shortly after I got the car - NEVER again! Well unless the electrics were covered up first but that is going to be a ballache in that bay!

However I have rinsed the sh*t out of the nooks and crannies (mostly the back of the strut turrets) with a bare hose and a few brushes before - came up a treat :)

White clique
Obviously the first thing is the engine needs to be cold / warm. I just use a bucket, car shampoo and cloth, wash all the main large visible bits, dry it with another cloth, then run the engine for a bit. Then i use a trim dressing and all done.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
A wet plug is a dead plug :p If you putting any significant amount of moisture in the bay make sure you cover up/seal the ignitions part's

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Just power wash the bloody thing.

Engines are designed to get wet.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I also pressure wash engines daily. The only cars I haveproblems with are renaults. And occasionaly Ford Petrol engines as the plugs are right at the top.

M135i
I made the mistake of power the engine bay of one of my old clios. As said, a wet plug is a dead plug.... x4. It's ok to do, just keep the water away from the top of the engine.

I now use an adjustable attachment on the end of a hose and lightly spray agitated G101 off the bay on all my cars now.