ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ethernet to USB adapter

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Apologies for the Tard question.

I need to connect some bits (4xlittle printers) at work to some computers. I have loads of ethernet cables but one side of the connection needs to be usb.

Considering its £17 x 4 for new cables. Are the adapters reliable and where can I get some good ones from? I can't really afford for them to be hit and miss...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what you're trying to do there? Are the printers meant to be on the network, but they only come with USB ports?

You can get print servers to connect to the printer and network them that way. They used to be horrendously expensive - the HP JetDirect 500x springs to mind where it was nearly £300 alone. But these days you can't give them away - they've come way down in price.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-JetDir...K_Computing_Print_Servers&hash=item3f3fe5a3d3

If you let me know what you're trying to achieve, I'll try and help you out :)

D.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I have little printers that connect to a computer. When an order is placed they print out tiny little slips. Two of the computers on the network don't have printers attached but need them attached.

I looked at the other connected printers and they have an ethernet connection which then attaches to the pc via USB.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
That's what they did before and four people were sharing one printer which was ridiculous.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Share the printer on the machine that the printer is connected too. Then connect to the shared printer from the pc that isn't connected too it

I hate sharing printers out. No matter how many times you tell them that you can't print to Betty's printer without her PC being switched on - they still don't get it.

"But she doesn't start until 11.30. What are we supposed to do?"

ARGH!!! ;)

D.

I hate sharing printers out. No matter how many times you tell them that you can't print to Betty's printer without her PC being switched on - they still don't get it.

"But she doesn't start until 11.30. What are we supposed to do?"

ARGH!!! :wink:

D.

Haha same! We only have about 2/3 shared printers. The rest are on our print server!

Everyone here seems to leave their PC's on though, so luckily none of them have ran into that problem...yet ;)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
018b579bc994296f3a110bd6e2222f69.jpg

The printer goes to a hub/netgear box thing. Ill need to speak to IT to see how we connect the other pc's.