ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EXHAUST PROBLEMS

Right ....

Got my SS8 RAGE back box about three and a half months ago now.

Exhaust went on with no problems - looked good, sounded well mint - proper nice deep growl, not "nova-ish" at all, was well chuffed!! :D

Then ....

Three days later my CAT went :(

So ....

Got CAT replaced

The Propblem ....

No nice noise from my new back box!! "Oh its cos the CAT is new" said the guy in the garage, "give it a couple of weeks". Three months on and only a SLIGHT improvment in sound - other than seriously long journeys and then it only lasts until I switch it off again. And its not like its very loud then, was on motorway for 2 hours yesterday and girlfriend said "Im sure your exhausts getting a BIT louder now" - A BIT!!! A BIT!!! ?????? ITS BEEN THREE MONTHS!

When is it going to get loud?????! :confused:

Any ideas? - please help!

Liam(missin my noise!) :(

Surely if it was loud (as in nice noise noise not nova like!) before, then it could be nice again ? Right? :confused:

Dont really wanna go down de-cat pipe route, not after 200 bucks worth of new cat only jus gone on !

Depends. Exhausts do get quieter as they get older and build up deposits.. also, your CAT might be a little more restrictive.

So there is nothing I can do then?

Bearing in mind I was told when I bought the exhaust that it WOULD be quiet for a while then get louder - jus thought the while was taking a bit longer than normal due to new CAT ????

Dunno.. My exhaust had to be adjusted at Powerflow. I drove home and it was quiet - I was like, ok.. this is bad. I gave it some serious high revs on the way home, got it properly blown out and working well.. I fired her up later on and it was back to its normal self.

Maybe things just need time to bed in! 3 weeks does sound like a lot tho!

Three weeks?????? Ive had it for about three MONTHS!!! - if not just over!

Recon I jus start her up and plant me foot down ???!

I do drive the car quiet hard so high revs have been applied!?!

Daz - You think planting it, ie giving it some serious revs, 6000+ on idling would do it some good??

Possibly not do the car any good though!

Suzuki SV650

Wouldnt cain it at startup whilst cold. Wait for engine temp to rise a bit and make sure u go thru all the gears before booting it. My mates old (now written off heh heh) Astra sounded a bit better when it was fully warmed up.

Cat was £200?? Omg you could of had mine!!! Actually no I need mine for my MOT should I fail...

Is the car any slower?

Not slower at all - its just so quiet! Of course t does make some noise - its just its nothin compared to what it was like when it was put on.

I went out at lunch time, waited for it to warm up then trashed it a bit but no REAL difference :(

I wondering about a coment someone made about the cat being more restrictive, could this be because its new? perhaps go through puddles, clog it up a bit !!! lol!

I dunno, stuck for ideas now! :confused:

id just get a de-cat pipe fitted then it will sound better than before ;) ! soon as i got my 16v de-catted it sounded much better , the exhaust back fires and pops loads hehe

Mine did before I got the cat replaced.

Am I right in thinking that it could only of sounded like that because the CAT was knackered??

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

right ok im guessing ur cat was replaced cos it was faulty or summit meaning the stuff in side that cuts noise and fumes had all broken down, so basically u were running a broken cat which would make it sound loud, a new cat has the stuff inside it all new so it will cut the noise and also cut the fumes, if u wanted noise u should of got a decat, as every 1 that has got a bigger back box with a cat that then decats will tell u it is much louder.

MaLicE

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

*ahem* daz trying to be funny AGAIN *ahem*

no still not funny

*EDITED* now who looks stupid :p

Quote: Originally posted by MaLicE on 06 May 2003

*ahem* dax trying to be funny AGAIN *ahem*

no still not funny
hah, yea.. That "Dax" person is a fool.. wonder who he is.

**EDIT** not me, cus Im leaving it.. you cant get round it that easy mr Malice.