ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failed MOT - Rear Caliper Seized

197 Cup CC
Need a bit of guidance, the n/s rear caliper is sticking and causing car to pull to the left, is this something a dismantle, clean, rear grease would sort or is a full replacement my only option?

Thanks

Octavia VRS
Mine were stripped down and released last year for the mot and had seized up again by this years mot. I bought new calipers from Renparts which were in good condition along with some new handbrake cables. It was well worth the money as the calipers don't ever seize/stick on anymore even after using the handbrake lol.

As far as I know, the clio calipers are prone to seizing and the above problem is common.

Mine were stripped down and released last year for the mot and had seized up again by this years mot.
Did you do these yourself, or a mechanic did them for you? If it's the latter, I'd have been having a word with the garage that did the work as they clearly did a piss poor job and simply free'd the caliper to pass an MOT instead of properly rebuilding it for longevity.

OP, I would rebuild the rear caliper myself, it's the cheapest (monetarily speaking) option by far.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
It's only the carriers that need rebuilding right? I'm sure you could pick a couple up fur next to nothing from a car getting broke on here.

Then free yours up too. Depends on your skill level and budget I suppose. Some would say don't waste your time go buy new. Others will tell you to repair it

197 Cup CC
I managed to pick up new aftermarket for £60 to save the hassle and prevent it happening in near future. My mate had serious accident due to rear caliper locking up at knock hill so rather safe than sorry

Octavia VRS
Mechanic did a piss poor job on mine to free them up for the mot. They soon started to seize up again. I now have new calipers fitted and they are like new!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I dont know how you guys work out the garage did a piss poor job
It's only the carriers that need rebuilding right? I'm sure you could pick a couple up fur next to nothing from a car getting broke on here.

Then free yours up too. Depends on your skill level and budget I suppose. Some would say don't waste your time go buy new. Others will tell you to repair it

What do you mean by carriers need rebuilding exactly ? The rears are a different ball game compared to the fronts . With the fronts it's usually just the sliders on the carrier that need freeing/cleaning up and regreasing . On the rears , the piston is on a screw mechanism , it can rust inside and seize . Most people will tell you not to touch your rears as they are a right ballache to strip down and put back together .

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
What do you mean by carriers need rebuilding exactly ? The rears are a different ball game compared to the fronts . With the fronts it's usually just the sliders on the carrier that need freeing/cleaning up and regreasing . On the rears , the piston is on a screw mechanism , it can rust inside and seize . Most people will tell you not to touch your rears as they are a right ballache to strip down and put back together .

Yeah that's a good point. It's mainly when the rubber seals get damaged if I'm correct. Water gets in and corrodes the piston. And when people run their brakes too low, the piston comes so far out it can damage the rubber. Like you say people will tell you not to bother but you could if you knew what you were doing