ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fancyplates

Renault Clio
Just noticed in a really old topic someone said they ordered some standard plates from fancyplates and they came with fancyplates written at the bottom? Im waiting for mine to come and really hope that its not going to have that on it as I wanted them plain! Does anybody know?

Ph2 Clio 172
Yep. Standard legal plates must have that number thing on and the makers name and postcode.

Plain ones can be ordered, but would (should, depends how vigilant they are) fail an MOT and I think get you a fine if stopped.

Renault Clio
How come so many people have them plain then? Gutted now :(

and surely on the constructer it should show exactly how it's going to look?

Last edited:
  LY FF182
Go to halfords.. More expensive at £15 a plate but their plates have a ghost effect to the legal s**t.. Can't see it until you're up close!

Guilietta 2.0 JTDM-2
They won't have fancyplates written on them. I bought and fitted a set of standard plates from them last week and they don't have anything written on them (apart from the usual markings in the bottom RH corner)

Renault Clio
They won't have fancyplates written on them. I bought and fitted a set of standard plates from them last week and they don't have anything written on them (apart from the usual markings in the bottom RH corner)

Now I'm confused :p They say the standard plates are road legal, but people on here are saying they have to have the makers name on or else it will fail an MOT and I'll get a fine if pulled, so who's right?

Ph2 Clio 172
Fancy plates sell both. They sell blank plates and they sell fully road legal ones. Depends entirely on what you bought.

Renault Clio
Fancy plates sell both. They sell blank plates and they sell fully road legal ones. Depends entirely on what you bought.

I know that, i bought the road legal ones, but the guy above said that they are completely plain, but then others have said that completely plain plates are illegal. It can't be both. So who is right?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Did you get smaller plate on the front? If so they will be illegal anyway. I've hardly ever driven around with a legal plate one way or another lol and never had a problem from Police or MOT... talking at least 4 years worth of driving like that.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Theres a bloke on ebay who does front and rear posted to you including sticky pads for £11, they are 100% legal plates with all correct markings, the guy has his company name on the bottom middle of the plate like required by law but he puts it in a tiny font for you. This is not illegal, the reason most places put the writing in large font is purely for advertising.

Renault Clio
Nah, I got the standard ones, but im saying how can fancyplates claim they are road legal if they're completely plain?

M2 Comp
Theres a bloke on ebay who does front and rear posted to you including sticky pads for £11, they are 100% legal plates with all correct markings, the guy has his company name on the bottom middle of the plate like required by law but he puts it in a tiny font for you. This is not illegal, the reason most places put the writing in large font is purely for advertising.

Do you have a link to those mate?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Search for registration plate on ebay and filter from lowest price, he has a load of different adverts

Clio182
Did you get smaller plate on the front? If so they will be illegal anyway. I've hardly ever driven around with a legal plate one way or another lol and never had a problem from Police or MOT... talking at least 4 years worth of driving like that.

What size plates have you got both front and back mate??

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
To get totally blank you need to choose show plates. Not difficult.

Et voila...

e3ysaje9.jpg

asutytar.jpg

Renault Clio
Before...

image.jpg

image.jpg

After :) (silvervisions, number plates and RS grille)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Really pleased with the results. Stubby ariel and heko wind deflectors are on their way :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You might want to look at my post again and see what I was getting at.

Renault Clio
Those plates won't pass an MOT.

So why is there people on here saying they have the plain plates and have never had any problems with the MOT? If it fails, I'll change them. Nearly every Clio Ive seen on this site has plain plates.

also, how can fancyplates claim that they are road legal then? If they're not?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Don't go getting stroppy.

The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the following information:
the British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d);
the name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier; and the name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
And not only will they not pass an MOT but as stated earlier, if you get pulled by a traffic copper who is being very thorough you'll also get a fine.

Dems the risks you take.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed. We actually make number plates at work. If anyone knows the level of criteria you need to meet, it's me.

Not to mention needing a V5 to buy a plate now. God damn Londoners and their bank robberies!

Renault Clio
Don't go getting stroppy.

The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the following information:
the British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d);
the name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier; and the name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

Excuse me? I wasn't being stroppy, I was asking you a question, based on other replies in this same topic.

Renault Clio
Fair enough.

You can question it all you like. Won't change the fact that they're illegal though.

You're just taking everything I say the wrong way, I believe you, but people on here have said that they've passed MOTs with plain plates, so Im guessing it just depends on who is doing the MOT? And again, fancyplates say they're legal, which they shouldn't if their not. Thats all :/

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Yeah will depend on mot tester.

Fancy plates unlikely to say they're illegal because they won't sell as many.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have a 3/4 plate on the front of mine. If I get pulled ill get a fine, its not the crime of the century. Like I said, dems the risks.

Renault Clio
Yeah will depend on mot tester.

Fancy plates unlikely to say they're illegal because they won't sell as many.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have a 3/4 plate on the front of mine. If I get pulled ill get a fine, its not the crime of the century. Like I said, dems the risks.

yea lol, any idea how much the fine is? :p

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Yep £60 fine first time. Then the consequences get worse and can have your car Q plated i believe.

Just had a £60 fine couple months back, oops ha.

Renault Clio
Ouch lol, surely you must have to be pretty unlucky for them to notice though? And you'd think they'd have better things to do :rasp: