ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Few Exige Pics!

i've driven an NA VX and an S1 elise and loved them, i think i preferred the VX to the S1. But for the 10k budget I had at the time the 182 was the sensible option as I couldnt find one I was happy with for the money.

£1k insurance is a steal, nice work mate.

aye the S1 is the hardcore version, and the VX is a cracking car..

remember the exige is cheaper to insure than the elise as its a coupe.

get it on track justin!

hmm not always the case, but yeah in a way it is.. dont worry mate, got a knockhill voucher here ready to use!

well you can take the hardtop off and look like a complete fud.. but means you need to leave it at home..

Exige S1 + Honda S1
never designed to take the roof off of it, loses strength and rigidity plus any electrical faults can be blamed on leaking roof.

Elise/VX220/R26
it may cause warranty probs because the roof on the exige is functional in that it supposedly directs air into the engine bay. Dealer told my boss how to take his off though.

Whats all the is about rear view cameras. Pish! I drive about with no rear view at all (van) you dont need a mirror

Exige S1 + Honda S1
the roof vent is non functional, only there for aesthetics.

its only functional on the S1 exige and S2 exige S/cup

MY10 R35 GTR
roof vent is nonfunctional. The vent is only used on the Exiges with superchargers.

On the leaking front all lotus's leak in one way or another its one of the car characters, so if the roof did leak after id had been removed how are lotus gona know.

Removing the roof withh affect the airflow over the back of the car, but ur only gona seriously push the car to notice that on a track.

Ridigity, the Exige rides on 10% stiffer suspension setting than the Elise 111R.

The first generation Exige had wider tracks, stronger engine. Now this Exige is just an extension of the Elise range

B

Brown.

Removing an exige roof will not invalidate warranty!!!..... lotus make kits for the exige to allow softtops to be used!!.... plus its in the manual on how to remove it... nothing in there on warenty concerns...only bit of script in there is that the cars power may lack without the roof on..

B

Brown.

aye i didnt think the roof vent was in use on the NA, still looks coool! h aha

..............The roof scoop is fully funtional for a N/A.....allows heat to be removed from the engine bay through the tunnels in the lid and between the wing and body....it does have funtion!!!.... its not just for the Supercharged version...the S1 exige was not supercharged..... but still had the scoop!! just happens in has been utilized for the s2 exige s.......the new s'charged elise dosnt have a scoop, nor an intercooler!!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Beautiful mate! Top, top motor!

Any interior pics? How does it compare with the VXT cabin wise?

Beautiful mate! Top, top motor!

Any interior pics? How does it compare with the VXT cabin wise?

its much much quieter (wind noise) and a lot comfier, the probax seats are immense.. some people say its easier to get in, some say harder.. it just has a better feel about it, better built and makes a nice clunk when you close the door :)

DSC_0251.jpg

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Lol at "removing the roof invalidates warranty" :) I was gonna post all that about the roof scoof, but I see peaches beat me too it heh.

Dan

servicing is every 9k or yearly.. £300, no big services..

Tyres on the rear last roughly 6k, and cost about £150 each..

getting 40mpg in it just now on 95Ron petrol

Insurance, its GRP20, which isnt great, but you'd be surprised if you get a quote, im with elephant just now.. and not paying much more than the VX

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Peaches is very much on the ball i see!

Truth is Lotus don't really like advertising the fact you can infact do a softtop conversion on an Exige and they'd not recommend it.
The reason being it messes with the aero kit of the car, but in reality that only really makes a difference at the higher speeds you'd achieve on a track......for which you'd bolt the hard top back on anyway.
Also it kinda makes the Elise look pointless if you can have the Exige with a soft top....again something Lotus have said to us as a dealer.

The soft top conversion is very popular tho....i've done 3 or 4 in the past couple of months.

B

Brown.

Cant think who would want a roofless exige.....just looks wrong imo.... couple of pics on other forums n it just looks little off.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
It seems to be the types who aren't really going to be using the car on track or who have the money but no real knowlege of the car that go for the softtop conversion.
Its a preference thing after all.

I will always prefer an Exige with a roof because thats what the Exige should be like....enclosed and focused.
But then again i love the Elise R in the summer with the top off.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Thing to do Justin is get the soft top conversion and then just run it with the hardtop until you decide you want some roof off action.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
cant even fathom why anyone would take the roof off an exige, apart from looking s**t, might as well have saved 7k and bought a 111R

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Removing an exige roof will not invalidate warranty!!!..... lotus make kits for the exige to allow softtops to be used!!.... plus its in the manual on how to remove it... nothing in there on warenty concerns...only bit of script in there is that the cars power may lack without the roof on..

Twas not my words, i was instructed by the lotus dealer who Im sure will know what he is talking about

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well i work for a Lotus dealer and thats a new one on me, but i suppose some may be mis informed.

I can't see how it can invalidate any warranties. Its not part of the roll over protection and it will only cause a slight performance drop in terms of the aero pack not being as effective at high speed.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Yeh, why you'd take the roof off i have no idea! Looks smart! i cracked up at the rear view mirror tho!

B

Brown.

Twas not my words, i was instructed by the lotus dealer who Im sure will know what he is talking about

You are excused my friend, you lotus dealer/ dealer for your area. on the other hand has obviously not read the manual provided by lotus and his poor knoledge should not be past off as your own... let this be a lesson learnt... manuals speak louder then dealers.

Please dont take the above as me being cocky....im purely trying to explain that your dealer has miss informed you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
They have the same roof fixings as the Elise so its basically the same as an Elise hardtop, hence why you can also fit the softtop to an Exige.
Only things missing are the brace bar grommets in the bodywork above the seats.