ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Clio ever

Clio 172, Starlet GT
Wassup people, picked myself a cheap high mileage 172 up yesterday for my new daily.

I'm usually a jap car guy, but I saw this going cheap nearby and ended up buying it.

Not many plans other than a good service, gotta see if I like it enough to spend money on it yet!

These pics were after a thorough wash and a quick wax, it does look alot better in pics than in reality I won't lie

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Land Rover
It looks nice, they are good cars. After buying a cheap 1.2 for my wife l was impressed by the general quality and the fact that after 13 years/86,000 miles/six owners everything still worked and there was no rust.
So we sold it and bought a 182!!

Clio 172, Starlet GT
If I keep it, it'll be modified my way not like a forum tells me too lol, but what's better about the cup spoiler?

It's not the best example being on 137k.

It's the first Clio I've ever driven and it's a bit weird to drive, but I suppose I'm just used to other cars.

Not insured yet as I left my wallet at home so I can't swap it over yet (doh!)

Clio 172, Starlet GT
Dont get your knickers in a twist, its a forum, people have opinions, turinis cup spoiler and cooksports, got any salmon? sorted.

My knickers are truly not twisted lol

What is the cup spoiler? I haven't had a French car since my 106 in 2010!

The turinis are nice wheels but not really to my taste, no idea what cooksports are and I don't get the salmon reference aha

I know people have opinions, just hate it when people tell other people how to mod their car, one thing that's always annoyed me in forums I've been on

RB Clio 182
My knickers are truly not twisted lol

What is the cup spoiler? I haven't had a French car since my 106 in 2010!

The turinis are nice wheels but not really to my taste, no idea what cooksports are and I don't get the salmon reference aha

I know people have opinions, just hate it when people tell other people how to mod their car, one thing that's always annoyed me in forums I've been on
This is a cup spoiler, its slightly more raised than the non cup one, and turinis suit monaco perfectly imo, cooksports are lowering springs which give around 30mm drop, they are the preferred spring of choice..

0E178E50-6DEB-41B1-881C-62E3B0A6EF82.jpeg

Oh and ..

Land Rover
If you go on a forum and post pictures of your car, people are going to give their opinion on what you should do with it. After all, it’s all been done before and it’s good to get an idea of what’s good and what’s not.
If that offends you, then you are going to spend a lot of time being offended! As people will generally think that you would appreciate advice, having as you said just bought the car and being a “Jap car guy” and “never driven a Clio before” plus your thread title “First Clio ever”

Or you could go at the car yourself and (for example) spend a load of cash on new springs, only to find they are rock hard and only any use on a track day.

Last edited:
  Clio 172, Starlet GT
I do like that cup spoiler, how much do they go for?

I have a plan for wheels, just need to see if they'll fit, then I can decide how much to lower it by

Clio 172, Starlet GT
Can you elaborate on "it's a bit weird to drive"?

The driving position is really odd, feels like your on the car not in it

The steering wheel is too far away once my legs are comfortable with the pedals

This coupled with the fact I haven't owned a car without coilovers for a good few years probably doesnt help. And that my mate lent me his dc5 integra before I bought this and that was an amazing car to drive.

It has done a lot of miles but as far as I can tell it has been treated pretty well, it desperately needs a service so I'm waiting for the bits to turn up to do that, it actually came with a full set of matching conti's which is rare for a used car of this price!

It won't be remaining standard, that's for sure

The driving position is really odd, feels like your on the car not in it

The steering wheel is too far away once my legs are comfortable with the pedals

This coupled with the fact I haven't owned a car without coilovers for a good few years probably doesnt help. And that my mate lent me his dc5 integra before I bought this and that was an amazing car to drive.

It has done a lot of miles but as far as I can tell it has been treated pretty well, it desperately needs a service so I'm waiting for the bits to turn up to do that, it actually came with a full set of matching conti's which is rare for a used car of this price!

It won't be remaining standard, that's for sure

Bucket Seat
Deep Dish steering wheel (+dashboard airbag light modification)
Bushes, topmounts, engine mounts and suspension overhaul.

Sorted.

(Although there may be some issues with the MOT and modifications - there's a whole thread discussing it somewhere.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the coilovers, though - surely most cars have coilovers nowadays, in that they have coil springs around macpherson struts? (Or am I missing something?!)

You could look at upgrading to the 182 Trophy Sachs front dampers.

Having done a refresh on a Mk1 to completely standard (Williams) setup, I think Renault got it right - soft enough to be comfortable but tight enough to be controlled, and always 'fun' and 'on your side' when you're driving like a moron lol.

Clio 172, Starlet GT
Bucket Seat
Deep Dish steering wheel (+dashboard airbag light modification)
Bushes, topmounts, engine mounts and suspension overhaul.

Sorted.

(Although there may be some issues with the MOT and modifications - there's a whole thread discussing it somewhere.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the coilovers, though - surely most cars have coilovers nowadays, in that they have coil springs around macpherson struts? (Or am I missing something?!)

You could look at upgrading to the 182 Trophy Sachs front dampers.

Having done a refresh on a Mk1 to completely standard (Williams) setup, I think Renault got it right - soft enough to be comfortable but tight enough to be controlled, and always 'fun' and 'on your side' when you're driving like a moron lol.

I actually really like the standard seats, they're comfy but bolstered enough for hard cornering, I did have the ol lift off oversteer this morning, made me smile aha!

I've got a boss kit on the way, what's the airbag light mod, isn't it just a resistor or are clios different?

It's also got the slight wobble in the gear stick under load, is the an uprated rear mount you ca buy for these?

I mean like adjustable coilovers, I've always had low cars, this is like a tractor to me lol

Id rather have coilovers so I can fine tune the ride height

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome to Cliosport Dan. Monaco is such a nice colour, the standard 172 wheels suit it but more so in anthracite imo.
You're absolutely correct in regards to the driving position, seat too high and wheel needs reach adjustment. If you're planning on keeping it and going coilovers bilstein B14 are the most popular for a road car as the spring rates and damping are very well set for our bumpy roads. If you want stiffer BC's are available with spring rates of your choice. You may be best inspecting the suspension bushes, track rods, top mounts and engine mounts before buying anything else as worn parts there will obviously affect how the car handles.
All the info you need is here somewhere, just search or ask.
Oh and did anyone mention CSF yet?

Clio 172, Starlet GT
It is a nice colour, covered in swirl marks mind, but glad I didn't get a silver one, already have a silver car aha.

I do think the typical dog bone mount is on its way out.

I do like bc's I've got them on my starlet, I'd deffo prefer a softer ride for a daily car I won't lie

I don't believe so, csf to me is a parts factors in Welwyn Garden City

I actually really like the standard seats, they're comfy but bolstered enough for hard cornering, I did have the ol lift off oversteer this morning, made me smile aha!

I've got a boss kit on the way, what's the airbag light mod, isn't it just a resistor or are clios different?

It's also got the slight wobble in the gear stick under load, is the an uprated rear mount you ca buy for these?

I mean like adjustable coilovers, I've always had low cars, this is like a tractor to me lol

Id rather have coilovers so I can fine tune the ride height

I'm sure there is a thread on what lights must come on and go out for the MOT (including airbag light), as well as a thread on the warning light mod needed - have a search if you get a chance!

I always had a slight gearstick wobble in my Mk1 but the uprated dogbone mount does reduce it.

Entirely my personal opinion now, but I would suggest not lowering it - as you've already found out ;) the point of the Clio is to have FUN, and while having a car that's on the floor and sticks like s**t to a blanket is good for high-speed cornering thrills, it reduces the adjustability and ability to get the rear-end loose. In a world where we are often limited by how far we can see round that hedge and pointlessly low speed limits, I would therefore argue for leaving it standard - fun at lower speeds is a good thing :)

Listerine & Poledo
Entirely my personal opinion now, but I would suggest not lowering it - as you've already found out ;) the point of the Clio is to have FUN, and while having a car that's on the floor and sticks like s**t to a blanket is good for high-speed cornering thrills, it reduces the adjustability and ability to get the rear-end loose. In a world where we are often limited by how far we can see round that hedge and pointlessly low speed limits, I would therefore argue for leaving it standard - fun at lower speeds is a good thing :)

This post contains so much truth, that 99% of registered CS users can't handle it.

The happy post about "already got my lift off oversteer on" fills me with confidence that this one will be in an insurance category fairly soon.

Clio 172, Starlet GT
I am actually a mechanic just don't as a job anymore aha!

Yeah I had a look and it is relatively the same as the standard way, ordered myself some resistors yesterday so hopefully they'll come at the same time as the boss so I can do it all at the same time.

I see what your saying with keeping standard height, I'm not in any rush to lower it currently purely cos I cba to spend more money lol!

That and I had a test with wheels, need some different wheel bolts before I can try them on, they've also got 205s so I want to get the wheels to fit so I can see how much to lower it by so it doesn't scrub, grown way out of scrubbing tyres now

Clio 172, Starlet GT
This post contains so much truth, that 99% of registered CS users can't handle it.

The happy post about "already got my lift off oversteer on" fills me with confidence that this one will be in an insurance category fairly soon.

You trying to say I'll crash it?

You have no idea of my driving skill, or how I drive it.

is almost everyone on here a condescending know it all?

I am actually a mechanic just don't as a job anymore aha!

Yeah I had a look and it is relatively the same as the standard way, ordered myself some resistors yesterday so hopefully they'll come at the same time as the boss so I can do it all at the same time.

I see what your saying with keeping standard height, I'm not in any rush to lower it currently purely cos I cba to spend more money lol!

That and I had a test with wheels, need some different wheel bolts before I can try them on, they've also got 205s so I want to get the wheels to fit so I can see how much to lower it by so it doesn't scrub, grown way out of scrubbing tyres now

Cool - if you fancy doing a picture guide for the resistor changes, that would be excellent ;) lol

One thing I always found is that Clios are very sensitive to wheels/tyres/pressures/alignment - my Mk1 felt weirdly flat-footed on 195s, but leaving it on (standard size) 185s made it feel a lot more light on its feet, without any real difference in cornering grip.

Lighter wheels also helped, although it was a subtle change on the arse-dyno lol.

As mentioned earlier, I think a full bush and suspension overhaul does wonders, if you want to throw a bit of cash at it and then do the work yourself. :)

There was also a thread on here the other day where the chap removed the PAS and replaced it with a welded column - apparently a lot better feel, although it is a PITA to parallel park in small spaces!

RS Clio 220 Trophy
Not all of us Dan106 ....But many have good experience and advise to share on the forum
Sometimes it is good to listen to experience and advise........It can broaden the mind

Clio 172, Starlet GT
Cool - if you fancy doing a picture guide for the resistor changes, that would be excellent ;) lol

One thing I always found is that Clios are very sensitive to wheels/tyres/pressures/alignment - my Mk1 felt weirdly flat-footed on 195s, but leaving it on (standard size) 185s made it feel a lot more light on its feet, without any real difference in cornering grip.

Lighter wheels also helped, although it was a subtle change on the arse-dyno lol.

As mentioned earlier, I think a full bush and suspension overhaul does wonders, if you want to throw a bit of cash at it and then do the work yourself. :)

There was also a thread on here the other day where the chap removed the PAS and replaced it with a welded column - apparently a lot better feel, although it is a PITA to parallel park in small spaces!

It'll only get 205s cos thats what's on the wheels already

Yeah that I will look into in the furture, first things are changing all the fluids and giving the brakes a once over, oh and I need to wet sand the headlights cos they're very badly faded

I couldn't go without power steering I don't think, borrow a 106 recently without it and it was so annoying to park, surprising how easy it is to take it for granted.

Clio 172, Starlet GT
Not all of us Dan106 ....But many have good experience and advise to share on the forum
Sometimes it is good to listen to experience and advise........It can broaden the mind

Well yeah probably but if they're gonna be a wanker and think they're better everyone else then they can shove it lol

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Well yeah probably but if they're gonna be a wanker and think they're better everyone else then they can shove it lol
Not trying to stir the pot here dude. But everyone here is just trying to help with advice and their experience (being as the title states "first clio ever" , as this is what makes (this one particularly ) a good forum community.
cliosports full of banter and jokes but they're a good bunch and happy to give advice....mostly ?

Clio 172, Starlet GT
Not trying to stir the pot here dude. But everyone here is just trying to help with advice and their experience (being as the title states "first clio ever" , as this is what makes (this one particularly ) a good forum community.
cliosports full of banter and jokes but they're a good bunch and happy to give advice....mostly ?

Telling me to keep it standard and that I'm gonna crash it isn't exactly advice though is it ?

Clio 172, Starlet GT
Nice and clean. Just keep it tidy man :). Im a jap man, but my bank doesnt streach for them, and I just enjoy driving it. Legal go cart basically

I feel you there, my jap car is currently awaiting an engine rebuild, nothing's very cheap with jap cars, not even little tin can ones like mine.

God do I miss turbo sounds!

I
image.jpeg

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
I feel you there, my jap car is currently awaiting an engine rebuild, nothing's very cheap with jap cars, not even little tin can ones like mine.

God do I miss turbo sounds!

I View attachment 1374638
Damn dude, thats nice. and quite clean as well. make a change not seeing those on the ground. THAT ENGINE LOOKS PROPER JDM THO ?
**DROOL**

Always wanted a jap, but if i was ever going to get one it have to be an AE86 / Supra / Skyline
That does look nice tho ^

Clio 172, Starlet GT
Damn dude, thats nice. and quite clean as well. make a change not seeing those on the ground. THAT ENGINE LOOKS PROPER JDM THO ?
**DROOL**

Always wanted a jap, but if i was ever going to get one it have to be an AE86 / Supra / Skyline
That does look nice tho ^

I'd bloody love any of those! But having a mortage kinda puts a stop to any proper Japanese legends ?

image.jpeg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Where you from? Car looks good.
If you want to retain your standard seats, remove the antivibration washers from beneath the rail. Lowers you a little bit but stops you being able to slide the seat very easily! Worth it for the few mm IMHO.

Clio 172, Starlet GT
Where you from? Car looks good.
If you want to retain your standard seats, remove the antivibration washers from beneath the rail. Lowers you a little bit but stops you being able to slide the seat very easily! Worth it for the few mm IMHO.

Near Luton.

Ooh that sounds worth it for sure, does it make the steering wheel feel too high up?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Near Luton.

Ooh that sounds worth it for sure, does it make the steering wheel feel too high up?

It's only a few mm so no. The wheel wants to be one of your first mods however as it really does make a difference with a smaller one! I like the oem wheel but it is very bus like.

I happen to have a momo boss and Sparco Renaultsport wheel for sale ?