ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flamer ph1 track project

Here is my on going track project.

IMG_1400.PNG IMG_1401.PNG IMG_1399.PNG IMG_1477.JPG IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1302.JPG

Current spec:

197 cams
Sm inlet
Large ram air filter
EFI remap
182 style manifold
Full decat system
Roll centre kit
Strengthened rear axel
Roll cage
Single seat and harness

Plus lots of little things.

But currently off road just now due to the rusty sills and my little off on track. How it sits now
IMG_1538.JPG IMG_1537.JPG

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Like the look of this mate.
bit of a pain are those sills im sure you can get some to do a bit of fabrication.
Got all the right bits on engine side of things though. Bet it goes well indeed.

I've managed to source new sills and rear quarters for it. So will get it sorted over winter as soon as I can get into my unit.

It was the skirts that were holding it together. Toying with the idea or running without them after repairs.

Graphs as requested below

IMG_1475.JPG IMG_1476.JPG

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Front splitter = need for mine!!

It certainly looks the part this does.

I sort of refuse to look at my sills in the argument if I can't / haven't seen any rust then it's not there!! But at least you are not breaking it and keeping it going, as that annoys me loads. But it does help to push their value up!

Also your tow strap...did you have to cut a small hole in the bumper to get it through? And how flush it is to the chassis? As I went to put one on mine and it wouldn't fit trough the tow eye hole (no idea why I thought it would!) and part of the slam pannel at the front stops the tow strap mounting plate sitting flush so would rattle about behind the bolt, although I cannot see how it would come undone if this was the case.

Front splitter = need for mine!!

It certainly looks the part this does.

I sort of refuse to look at my sills in the argument if I can't / haven't seen any rust then it's not there!! But at least you are not breaking it and keeping it going, as that annoys me loads. But it does help to push their value up!

Also your tow strap...did you have to cut a small hole in the bumper to get it through? And how flush it is to the chassis? As I went to put one on mine and it wouldn't fit trough the tow eye hole (no idea why I thought it would!) and part of the slam pannel at the front stops the tow strap mounting plate sitting flush so would rattle about behind the bolt, although I cannot see how it would come undone if this was the case.

Yeah I don't want to split or scrap it as it's a flamer lol. Not many left I believe. The sills did look "ok" until I took the skirts off and then my worst fears were confirmed.

As for the tow strap. I just mounted it to the crash bar for quickness as I needed it for track. Not sure how strong or reliable it would be tbh where it is mounted but I have a proper tow hook now so really the strap isn't doing anything.

Here is where I had it coming out

IMG_1265.PNG IMG_1263.PNG

But have this now

IMG_1335.JPG

Not sure if that helps answer your question though lol

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Shed 😂

Na be good to see it all back together an get more track time together next year. Might be seeing you in the unit aswel :up:

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Which is odd as the earlier one has slightly smaller, shorter runners and a slightly smaller plenum volume

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Here is my on going track project.

View attachment 170176 View attachment 170177 View attachment 170178 View attachment 170179 View attachment 170180 View attachment 170181

Current spec:

197 cams
Sm inlet
Large ram air filter
EFI remap
182 style manifold
Full decat system
Roll centre kit
Strengthened rear axel
Roll cage
Single seat and harness

Plus lots of little things.

But currently off road just now due to the rusty sills and my little off on track. How it sits now
View attachment 170182 View attachment 170183
Bloody hell. How do you 'recover' those cills? Aren't they too far gone for fabrication?

Looks awesome otherwise. :up:

dan's cast offs.
Suppose power figures depend on other mods too.

I'm happy with it just now and drives so well

will have t see if i can get chris to do me an overlay with all the ones he's mapped on it. still nice flat torque though, always makes them nice to drive.

Sorry for the lack of posts but been really busy at work.

Got the Clio into the unit and stripped down to see what I was dealing with. Both sills and rear quarters are gone. Drivers side floor looks to be rotten too. Really need to have a rethink on what my options are with this now. Want to save it but might be too far gone 😢
IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ah s**t man, thats not good. I've bought 2 bottles of kurust to pour down into my sills. I think it becomes structurally sound when it dries....

Surely you can get it up to track car standard for not too much, granted concourse might be too much of an ask

Ah s**t man, thats not good. I've bought 2 bottles of kurust to pour down into my sills. I think it becomes structurally sound when it dries....

Surely you can get it up to track car standard for not too much, granted concourse might be too much of an ask
If I did that it would just end up all over the floor haha. Will get pics of the actual 1/4s and sills this weekend

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
defo save. If you buy another its just a lottery what state that will be in. repair so you know its good an solid, did you speak to renault about a shell?

defo save. If you buy another its just a lottery what state that will be in. repair so you know its good an solid, did you speak to renault about a shell?

Need someone to have a proper look at it tbh and tell me if it can be saved. Managed to source a cheap shell just incase and apparently it's rust free but will see when I look at it this weekend. Nah didn't bother going to Renault about a shell

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
How cheap is cheap, as rust free shells are few an far between. I'll have a look at it at the weekend if you want, can drop your shifter off at the same time

So managed to get a good look at the sills tonight and after a good look it has been said to me that they can be fixed. It's all outside rust nothing structural although it looks bad it will be save able :)

IMG_1597.JPG IMG_1598.JPG

Also when I was in the unit got most of the inside stripped out ready for welding process. Cage out, doors off, which were a pain! And also got the dash out too.

IMG_1599.JPG IMG_1595.JPG

Will defo be out on track more next year ;)

More weight will be lost too and will also be tidying up a lot inside too :)

Not much of an update but things have happened. Still not made a start on replacing the rot but have sourced another car to take parts from to start the repairs... it's the thought that counts :lol:

Things done to date:

All interior wiring loom out
Dash fully stripped bar the heater matrix which will be removed shortly when have time
Coilovers and front brakes removed for maintenance

IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1610.JPG

So not much happened of late due to the festive period and being crazy busy at work. Still managed a few things to get checked off the "to do" list.

Fuel tank out ready for plasma cutting and welding of the sills
Heater matrix out
Removed coolant and steering bottles for cleaning
Sheeted up holes where old heater used to be
And adding to the parts bench

I'm not in a rush to get this done but with all the parts arriving the want for this to be finished is growing daily haha

IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1650.JPG

Made a start on the drivers side sill over the weekend.

Outer sill was rotten but inner sill is solid so all good!

IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1685.JPG

Been quiet with this recently due to work commitments but hopefully get more done now and get it out on track soon!