ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel efficiency of the 1.2

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
I bought the 1.2 thinking it'd be cheap on juice. :eek:

I tend to get about £40 in the tank on a fill up and that lasts for anywhere between 300-330 miles if I'm using motorways = 35mpg

but the other day I put £20 in and I've barely got 100 miles around town = 22mpg

This seems pretty bad.

I'm sure I used to get about 300 miles from £35 in my old 2.0L 16v car (MR2).

Is it normal for a 1.2?

Could the chavvy 195/50/15's that the previous owner put on it be making a difference? :eek: Didn't it originally come with 165/65/13's or something?

I serviced it a Crimbo and it seems to be running well. Is it just underpowered for the size of the car so you have to rev the titties off it to get it to go anywhere? :evil:

330i. E30 Touring.
You're obviously revving it too hard..

I used to get 400+ miles to £40 in mine. Regular driving. Nearer 450 on the motorways, and neither of those, was I driving particularly gently.

Not a 320d
300 miles if i was ragging it now and again, 350 on mways not that i ever did that kind of driving. no less than 29mpg EVER and no more than 48

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Try giving the car a service, might improve your mpg,

I used to get about 37mpg in my 1.2 16v. when revving hard it went down to about 33-34mpg, mine was regulary serviced tho

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
You're obviously revving it too hard..

I used to get 400+ miles to £40 in mine. Regular driving. Nearer 450 on the motorways, and neither of those, was I driving particularly gently.

I don't rev it that hard. Usually I'm just pootling round Sheffield in traffic. That probably doesn't help but it's also dead hilly round here so you're spending most of the time in 2nd or braking. :dapprove:

I must admit, I kind of wish I'd gone for the 1.4 or 1.6 now. I think underpowered cars are just asking to be pushed a bit cos they just feel so sluggish. With a bit more power you tend to take it a bit easier.

120d M Sport
Once warmed up I used to boot mine everywhere and it'd still return 38+ mpg. I actually found keeping it below 3k or whatever didn't make any difference at all to mpg.

MK3

Dynamiqueee
I'm averaging about 32mpg. I'm sure i could get more, but i've got too rev the ass off of ot to get it to move lol

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
If you are stop starting and never making it out of second, that is the problem.

I have never got it below 32mpg. Even if it lives on the limiter for a few days. Have regularly had 50mpg on motorway runs. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

FN2 Type R GT
mines currently 30mpg in my 1.2....it sucks but its city driving, stopping and starting constantly only ever in 1st, 2nd 3rd, filling my car atm cost me about 50 quid aswell

MR2 Turbo
less air into engine = less fuel = better mpg + less power. wouldnt make that much difference btw!

Not exactly.

If the air filter is clogged up, then the engine is going to have to do more work to suck the air through it, you will still get roughly the same amount of air drawn in though.

Titanium 182
Try driving a 172 round town, unless I literally roll to work in neutral (uphill so I can't) I get 200-220 miles to a £45 tank. :(

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Not exactly.

If the air filter is clogged up, then the engine is going to have to do more work to suck the air through it, you will still get roughly the same amount of air drawn in though.

no it wont, the driver will make the engine work harder by giving it more throttle, at 10% throttle you will get LESS air with a dirty air filter, which in part the ecu will put less fuel in to match the air.

the engine wont "work harder" just to suck air in

How can our two cars be so different? Mine is an X Reg. This just sounds too good to be true. I'm jealous :mad:
Mines a 53 plate... I drive like a grandad though! Change gears at around 2000rpm and never thrash the car. Ive only been over 3-3500rpm when ive been on the motorway doing around 70mph lol (which is hardly ever)

Titanium 182
s**t the bed.!! Have you done any engine mods to the car??
This doesnt sound too good to me, as im thinking of getting a ph1 172

ITG filter. Lol.

TBF I ragged it's arse off sunday night to try and stretch it out a bit and it's on 36mpg this morning when I got to work. I was driving like Jesus on a sunday though.

Titanium 182
Depends where you drive on the motorway if you wanted to you could get 450 miles to a tank. In town if you're even slightly careless 200.

Audi S1
Try driving a 172 round town, unless I literally roll to work in neutral (uphill so I can't) I get 200-220 miles to a £45 tank. :(

Lol same as me.

I got 190miles last week from a full tank, £47ish a tank now, not even V-power.

MPG normally around 22-24mpg, I've seen it drop to 18.1mpg!!

Audi S1
I think it's about 1.19-23 round here.

Tesco's/Sainsbury's is what I use now lol.

I've been thinking whether to sell up and go for a Polo or something, I think I'd regret it though so I don't think I will lol

Audi S1
How come your selling up? My girlfriend is taking her test soon, so soon she will be driving. I won't need to use my car no where near as much.

I could get the tram to work and it would cost me £40 a month, but I chose to drive n spend £200 lol, I seriously hate the tram :(

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
i'm getting 30mpg in my 1.2 dynamique. i used to get 45+mpg regularly and very rarely dropped below 40mpg.

i think its to do with the Lambda Sensor ...but im not sure which one (aren't there 2 of them?)