ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox and drive shafts hellpp!!!!

1.2 172 conversion
Just driving my car 172 and then it just stopped moving i can hear the gearbox moving and speedo works but it wont move is it the gearbox that has gone or drive shafts helllpppp

182cup & 172 racecar
Could possibly be the circlip has come out. You will need to look underneath to see if one is spinning, I think it will be the n/s.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
If your speedo works and your car doesn't move then as tony said it is your circlip.. Cheap fix but can be a pain :/

1.2 172 conversion
How do i get to the circlip to fix it is it in the gearbox or on the drive shaft somewhere ? Will only 1 side spin if the circlip has gone

1.2 172 conversion
I would of thort something has gone on drivers side as thats the 1 thats not spinning but if every1 is saying circlip it must be that

Clio sport 172
I had to get a new gearbox and drive shaft fitted i also put a new clutch in it aswell just pull the driveshaft off and check the splines

1.2 172 conversion
I have a 1.2 gearbox here with a circlip in would that work ? Its just my luck that the splines are shafted i have no luck with cars

1.2 172 conversion
What would cause it to do that ? Car hasnt been drove for 5 + months would it be better to get a new gearbox if its going to keep happening ?

1.2 172 conversion
None atall was driving it normal as first time driving it only drove it 400 yards to another driveway..what would wheel spins do anyway ?

Richard102

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
Mine went the other week, I throw the circlip into my box and ripped first gear to bits and blow the diff up!! I would take the n/s drive shaft off and have a look to make sure the circlip is there and not fallen in to the diff!! I paid £5 for the circlip and washer from Renault.

Flamer, x2 19s
Full bore starts (dumping the clutch in 1st) causes them to go, once gone they generally keep going unless you go easy on it becuase it takes a small chunk of alloy out of the box. its normally a bigger issue with the jb3 boxes clio 16vs, 19s etc but it can occur with jc5. you used to be able to buy a metal ring that you drill and tap onto your gearbox to prevent it from popping out

Richard102

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
You can still buy the bracket to go over the circlip that you need to drill onto the diff on eBay but iv been told they need to be really balanced with the diff to stop uneven pressure on the diff bearings. Take the n/s (passenger) drive shaft off and see if you can see it, it's not hard to miss its pretty big tbh. Take some photos and put them up and we can go from there if you still have problems. If you see both the circlip and washer and a reasonably ok then replace but if you can't the box really need to be stripped down and checked over and cleaned out or new box, I bought mine for £90 of here.