ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox swap

Clio ph1 172
My question is can i put the jc5130 box (the one without circlip issues) into my 01 172.

Im wondering what is interchangeable and what will need to be swapped out , drive shafts etc if atall. Any help much appreciated as always :smile:

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
the 130 has no speedo drive, as cars fitted with it read from the abs sensor, you'll need a 129 box with a 130 diff or better still chuck a quaife in there

Clio ph1 172
the 130 has no speedo drive, as cars fitted with it read from the abs sensor, you'll need a 129 box with a 130 diff or better still chuck a quaife in there

So i will have to buy the 129 and the 130 diff separate or does the 129 box have the same diff as the 130.. i dont quite understand that part of your reply

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
sorry, the 129 has a circlip diff but a diff out of a 130 is bolted and is a straight swap,
so fit a diff out of a 130, or bypass all problems and fit a quaife atb diff,
if you are in the midlands area @NorthloopCup might have a 130 diff he will sell you.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah clear as mud.

Basically a 130 won't work in your ph1, but a 129 will.

Unless you put a 130 diff in a 129, but that will need someone to essentially build you a gearbox.

Clio ph1 172
Ok, thanks for the info.
Second option (because im not throwing away money on a car thats done nothing but give me grief)
did a burn out up my lane as wanted to show off before getting new tyres, i drove it pretty hard for that day too, and then when i was driving nice and slow and sensible the circlip must of gone (speedo still goes up when revved).
Iv ordered a new circlip and washer, is it a big job to get the thing welded in? as im sure the diff needs to be taken out to do so.
if i go down the renfort plate route how much of a job is that to get the holes drilled etc

(trying to establish the cheapest and less hastle free route for the gearbox shop)

btw all of this will be carried out by my local gearbox shop as i dont have the time to do these big jobs not with my work

Clio 172,Vw Bora Tdi
Does anybody know the answer to the question? Anybody tried it?
I personally have a 182 cup gearbox and considering putting it in my 172 cup.
The circlip popped on the 172 cup gearbox.