ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearchange- 3rd to 4th

Clio Trophy
I've just bought a Clio Trophy and on the drive back yesterday I noticed the change from 3rd to 4th occasionally has a bit of a sound, not sure if I'd call it a crunch as such but it is noticeable. Only seems to happen when changing gear quickly (as far as I can tell so far) and even then not every time.

I'm aware there can be issues with Renault gearboxes and synchros but I'm relatively unfamiliar with the cars, a bit different from my Bavarian norm. Any suggestions/advice on how to proceed?

172 Cup
Dont change gears so quckly. The yanoo kit helps with a more precise gear change and got rid of any slight noises or crunches with my box.

Clio Trophy
I know it's got a short shift kit already, unsure of the make though. Is this potentially a case of the 'boxes not liking being rushed rather than there necessarily being any synchro problems?
I know the 197 problems are plentiful, is the 182 gearbox a bit more robust, in general?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Is it a kit that uses a different lever? My B+M moves the lever down and so there is more chance of the lower part of the lever hitting things underneath. Mine makes a light knock if I go to far to the right when going to 5th. The moving the ball on the lever kits are not a good way of getting a shorter shift.

How fast are you changing? Anything approaching a flat shift (not letting off the throttle) is a big no on these boxes. Sub half second changes is not something you should aim for on any standard gearbox if you want it to last.

These boxes are capable of a swift and accurate change for a good number of miles for enthusiastic B road and non competitive track day fun. Nothing more.

Clio Trophy
Pretty quickly, I'll take it a bit easier and see how I get on. Hopefully that's all that's required. I've no idea what kit is comprised of.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Is the gear stick annoyingly short in the car. If so it's a different lever kit. If not then it's been done down by the gearbox by replacing a linkage part.

If your not taking part in motorsport then I'd take it easy. Fast shifting on the road is pointless and the only prize you'll receive is a nice big repair bill. The Clio has a nice power band and doesn't die like some N/A hot hatches if you add a couple of tenths to your shifting time.

Clio Trophy
Well I'm pleased to say I just took it for a 50 mile thrash, making a point of slowing the shifts down slightly and it's fine. Certainly provides a contrast to my M5. It's more or less the antithesis of it in almost every respect (good and bad)

Started the M5 up to move it on my drive and I about put my foot through the floor when I pressed the clutch.

Clio Mk3 1.2 Turbo
Had the same problem with my MK3 TCE but in 1st and 3rd gear. Seems to be that if you don't shift fast it won't cause you any problems, like grinding or not going into gear.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Very few of these boxes are intended for more than spirited driving and so anything more than a 100% accurate fast shift will result in a horrible noise of some sort. Also the syncros will have some signs of wear unless it's a new box or a fresh rebuild. My 172 cup pulled a 6.7 to 60 and a low 15 quarter with normal changes and a sympathetic start. They move a long just fine without going nuts. Those few tenths are a damaging and expensive few tenths.

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
I have exactly the same problem with my Ph1 172, where if you change gear (3rd-4th), it will crunch, but change slowly and it's fine. I've just learned to live with it and slow down this gearchange.

Clio Trophy
They don't like short shift kits either.
Reviving this as a bit of an issue again but with 4th to 3rd.

The car has always done this occasionally in my ownership but I went for a spirited drive up North today and 9/10 times when trying to downshift from 4th to 3rd while heel and toeing I couldn't get third. There's no crunch or anything it just seems to get caught in neutral and I have to take a second bite at the cherry, extremely irritating. Feels totally fine when I do put it into third though.

I'm guessing that is likely to do with the short shift kit? Just seems odd for it to get noticeably worse.

Clio Trophy
To add to that, what do I need to revert back to the standard gearshift?

All I've got to go on is the previous owner fitting 'a stiff shift kit and short shift linkage' but not sure what I'll need to buy.

Clio Trophy
Again, can anyone help with the actual gear linkage parts required? I've replaced the gear lever for standard and it's infinitely better but 3rd to 4th can still be inconsistent. This is really starting to grate.

I can find a diagram alone but trying to find a diagram and all the parts listed is proving more difficult.

Last edited: