ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

general rubbish mpg and a bit sluggish

renault clio 1.4 16v
hi guys i have a 2004 1.4 16v clio

over the past 2 months i have used so much petrol its silly

i havnt changed the way i drive.
i have serviced the car myself (oil and air filter change and a change of oil as its all i could afford at the time)
i even drive less to work as i live closer to it now and im still using tons of petrol and geting 28mpg at a max

has anyone got any ideas as to what can help me please

thanks

Could be just that your driving less meaning your stop/start is more which will bring down mpg if that makes sense

Either that or its worth checking to make sure your air filter, spark plugs and other service items are good

renault clio 1.4 16v
its not stop start its just a long county road ill have a look getting it plugged in..where is the cheapest place to do this?? and ill have a look at the spark plugs and other bits and bobs

another question as i have gone through 3 air filters since i had the car which is 2 years is it worth investing in the K&N panel filters?

Wouldn't really recommend a k&n for anything other than being cleanable tbh so if that'd the primary reason then its not a bad move, if its for a very slight and I mean slight if any performance gain there is better filters out there

Clio 197
Not saying this is the cause but it will be a related factor..the weather, its got colder recently so you will potentially loose a few MPG due to the cooler temps.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
yeah i understand with the weather but im doing half the miles yet more petrol

Shorter journeys are less efficient. If I drive across Lincoln to Sainsburys my MPG is around 32. If I drive to work in Grantham it can be as high as 50-60MPG (depending on traffic).