ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting grip... tyres, spacers, suspension?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I've never had an issue with used track dedicated tyres and have bought 888's a d ns2r's in the past, but obviously buy ones that have plenty of life left. Used track tyres can be and are affected by excess heat so keep an eye out for bluey purple patches, especially on shoulders.

That being said as a halfway house buying used does save a fair amount, another thing to bear in mind is tyre opinions are similar to brakes, what works for some doesn't work for others.

To give you an idea I bought a set of 1955/50/16 888's on 182 wheels for £200 and the ns2r's on their own for £90 I think

PH2 172
Ha! Righto- people carrier tyres? Thats what the link says

Have had good experiences with PS3s so prob go with them. Track tyre, not sure yet

Have I got to school you in how to use Camskill`s site too?
Click on "TYRE SEARCH" and then your away.

Oh,and you won`t get any PS4`s in 15 or 16".

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Have I got to school you in how to use Camskill`s site too?
Click on "TYRE SEARCH" and then your away.

Oh,and you won`t get any PS4`s in 15 or 16".

Dont bother using sites that just sell tyres, dont want the rip off of getting them fitted. I always search for supply and fit so havent used Camskills b4. When i opened the link it showed £27 people carrier tyres. Lol.

PS3s for me then, or rainsports at £50 cheaper.... but like Michelin

PH2 172
All trackday tyres are road legal, just that most are not very good on a wet road.
If you only had to buy 1 set only,ADo8`s would be a good choice for both all round road & track use at a price,but not the best in either application.

PH2 172
Dont bother using sites that just sell tyres, dont want the rip off of getting them fitted. I always search for supply and fit so havent used Camskills b4. When i opened the link it showed £27 people carrier tyres. Lol.

PS3s for me then, or rainsports at £50 cheaper.... but like Michelin

Then don`t take them to Quik Fit to have them fitted then.
Your typical side street outfit that supplies part worns will happily fit 4 for £20.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Then don`t take them to Quik Fit to have them fitted then.
Your typical side street outfit that supplies part worns will happily fit 4 for £20.

Best ive had in the past is tenner a corner, some places 15

Ed: oh, not kwikfit either.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
That's true with the amount of force. Saying that I went to Oulton a couple of years back, chap met me from Newcastle in his Megane. Has been raining and was cold ish. On went his slicks and he was mega quick. Like lapping in the 1.55's according to his timer. I didn't go out with him @LeeRS did so I'm sure he will tell it like it was. Chap was a member on here too but forget his name, nice guy.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Most circuits/TDO insist on caged only cats using slicks

Was under the impression it was simply down to speed and car control. I.e miss daisy whacks on slicks and goes faster and faster because grip. Then the tyres go off.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Was under the impression it was simply down to speed and car control. I.e miss daisy whacks on slicks and goes faster and faster because grip. Then the tyres go off.

Can't find it in writing now but 99.9% certain it's a general ruling, whether it's enforced is another matter. Combe are pretty strict for example, Llandow not so though. Can't comment on any others specifically

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
After bit of research, the ADO8r's may do the trick. Seem like good all rounders

Then just stick the tyres i have on the BLUE show wheels (T1r's)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Like I say I have them and they are ace. If it's lashing down I don't drive quick enough to test even wet rates tyres tbh.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Right. What shall i flog to pay for new tyres... pedal box from the GOlf... No, maybe just massage the expense claim... doubtful... got it- car boot late April before Lydden :) and cancel the Jan weekend away and do Ramsgate instead

Happy days

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
What size tyres are you after? There was a chap on Facebook selling ado8r's in 15's for about 160 new. For 4.

I'm not on faceache but it's what I was told mate

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
What size tyres are you after? There was a chap on Facebook selling ado8r's in 15's for about 160 new. For 4.

I'm not on faceache but it's what I was told mate

Sounds interesting. 15s for me, prob195s but mever done facebook myself either. Wouldnt know where to start tbh. Good ole ebay for me.

Ed: wife loves facebook

WRX
The guy on FB is Ben Patey, I think there is somebody else too but can't name him sorry. If you go with the AD08R, you will have probably the best allrounder. There are better dry tyres and better wets but no better for a jack of all trades. The R1r has also been mentioned and at Castle Combe, the dry issues probably wouldn't be noticed. Get on a twisty track and they'd soon overheat.