ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Greeny 172's Fast Road/Semi Track Clio 172

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Hi, thought I would start a project thread as id like to keep track of everything as its going on.

Basically with my car im trying to go with a fast road/semi trackcar as I will be doing a few track days next year, I would love to fully strip and cage it but as its the only car in my household I have to be at least half reasonable as its used for various things apart from driving like I stole it!

Renault Clio 172 Ph2 (2001)

Engine
Fastchip remap - 6500_5B03.rst
Espace V6 airbox
Uprated airbox airfeed
K-tec mild steel supersport cat-back exhaust
Stainless steel de-cat (to be fitted after MOT)
Motul 8100 5w40 fully synthetic

Chassis
K-tec stainless front strut brace
K-tec carbon fibre rear strut brace
K-tec coilovers
AST top mounts (to be fitted when they arriveJ)

Wheels
15” Team Dynamics Monza r in black satin
15mm Delta Mic hubcentric spacers
Toyo T1R’s 195/50/15

Brakes
HC front discs (to be fitted in the new year)
Ferodo DS2500 front pad (to be fitted in the new year)
Genuine Renault rear discs
EBC red stuff rear pads
Goodridge braided brakes lines (to be fitted in the new year)
Motul 5.1 synthetic fluid
Foglight brake cooling (to be converted in the new year)

Interior
Corbeau Targa RS bucket seats
MB Performance short shifter
Sparco Lap 3 sterring wheel (330mm)
Clio Trophy front door cards
Fully stripped rear end inc spare wheel, jack etc
Luke 4 point harness (to be fitted in the new year)

Styling
Cup Spoiler
Megane Ph2 front splitter
Graphite grey diamonds and rear badges
Yellow & pearl black bullets
Yellow front calipers
Yellow Omp tow eye
Gloss black side repeaters
Type-r aerial
Tesco flat wipers!
3/4 front plate

A few recent pics
DSC_0414.gif

DSC_0415.gif

DSC00215Large.gif

DSC00218Large.gif

DPP_04761.gif

DSC00191Large.gif

DSC00201Large.gif

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Get some proper fixed buckets fella!

Would love to but cant, need to put the rear seats in now and then, like I said above, the car still has to be half practical :( These buckets are decent though, hug me really well and weigh alot less than the standard 172 seats so these are the best I can do for my situation :)

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I had them in my cup mate, thought the standard sport seats were much better!!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Must of been slightly different seats as these hug much better than standard cup/1*2 seats.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
love this mate, looked nice at fcs,

What suspension is it running at the back in the pics, still the gaz springs and platforms?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
love this mate, looked nice at fcs,

What suspension is it running at the back in the pics, still the gaz springs and platforms?

It has Gaz gold rear springs without the platforms in those pics, even though they are back in now so its 5mm higher, barely noticable and now the springs dont fall out when both wheels are jacked up :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Looked gorgeous at trax! what bhp?

Cheers! It made a realistic 168bhp & 152lb/ft torque with the cat in, hoping for over 170bhp with the V6 box on though, we will see on Oct 18th :) This was a decent score for mildly modded 172's at our RR day, the best performer made 173bhp & 153lb/ft torque, this was out of about 15 172s.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
This is on the new KTR coilovers yeah?i may have to have a look at the next RR day.....

15's look so much better!

Yes its on the KTR coilovers and yeah I love the 15's :) So much lighter as well!

that as low as the ktech coilies go>?

The rears dont go that low, my gaz golds springs bring them down another 10mm. The fronts go down about 40mm further but due to the lack of dampening adjustment I cannot have them any lower as they just rub like hell under hard cornering, which isnt any good for track days! In the top 2 pics the front is 10mm lower than it is now, any lower and it would be on the floor tbh. Obviously if I had anything in the rear it would be alot lower like it used to be when I had 16's, but has its empty and on 15's it needs more work it get it lower :)

The rear end is 5mm higher now as well due to me putting the rear platform back in so the springs dont fall out when both the wheels are jacked up and to stop the shocks being basicly on the bump stops :dead:

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
Seats and the Steeering wheel are GASH but the rest of the car looks Mint. Get yourself a Sabelt Wheel and some decent seats.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Seats and the Steeering wheel are GASH but the rest of the car looks Mint. Get yourself a Sabelt Wheel and some decent seats.

LOL, as written above the seats are better than standards and as I very rarely need to put the rear seats in I still need to be able to access it, otherwise id just bolt some fixed buckets to the floor. Also your the first to ever call the steering wheel gash lol, its infact one of the best mods ive done, its awesome compared with the standard. I was gunna spray over the chrome but as the shortshifter is chrome I just left it.

Cheers !:D

SQ5
The steering wheel is awesome, perfect size. Felt really nice to drive, and that was from TRAX to home so a good 2 hour journey and it felt awesome!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Hardly a 'track' mod but I dont care really :) I still use my car on the road and the standard dull orange is nasty.

Before
DSC00224Large.gif

DSC00226Large.gif

DSC00230Large.gif

After
DSC00235Large.gif

DSC00237Large.gif

DSC00238Large.gif

DSC00241Large.gif

DSC00242Large.gif

DSC00244Large.gif

A HUGE thanks to richy22 who did the conversion.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Abit of an update today, received my AST solid top mounts from Kam Racing last week so went about fitting these, wrong at first but big thanks to Jord to pushing me in the right direction :)

DSC00221Large-1.gif

PTFE Gaskets from Ktec, got the easy one on but couldnt get the threads out of my inlet due to lack of tools so saved it for another day!
DSC00224Large.gif

Got this second hand ready to be fitted after my MOT in dec :) Never seen one made from one piece of pipe before, they always seem to be welded at the bottom of the curve, any ideas who made this?

DSC00225Large.gif

Before:

DSC00226Large.gif

During:
DSC00231Large.gif

Removing the random piece of steel bolted in under the upper engine mount, not seen a pic of it on here before so thought I would take one, interestingly Louis182's is about double the size!

DSC00228Large.gif

Dash top out ready to be sent away to be flocked!

DSC00240Large.gif

DSC00239Large.gif

Although my engine mount seems to be working fine it was abit tatty and rusty in places so I gave it a once over:

DSC00226Large.gif

New top mounts on!

DSC00227Large.gif

Done!

DSC00224Large.gif

DSC00230Large.gif

DSC00231Large.gif

DSC00234Large.gif

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Cool.

There should be some washers under them allen key heads though IIRC!

Mine defo didnt come with any :/ Gay. I did wonder why there wasnt any but needed to fit them never the less, ill have a word with Jon on Monday.

Cheers guys :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
I dont suppose you could weigh the top part of the dash for me :) (bit more weight saving ;) )

Also can you just take the cambelt cover and engine mount off with out the engine sort of falling down? I wana take out that bit of metal :)