ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Group N Ecu

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
OK guys alittle advice needed

got a mk1 172. as it stands its only got a pipercross panel filter. i have got my inlet manifold ready to be bolted on but just thinking of what kind of mod i should do to stop the car running lean.
just a few questions??- if i fit the inlet work in and smack on a gp n ecu which should stop it running lean, what would happen if i get my aftermarket stealth exhaust a month or so later, do i just re-fit the gp n ecu or will have to buy another one?

people who got group N ecu's il like your views please :D

i know this isnt as good as a re-map but if its the only mods il be having on then i heard it will stop it running lean and work fine.

thanks in advance!

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
what would happen if i get my aftermarket stealth exhaust a month or so later, do i just re-fit the gp n ecu or will have to buy another one?

cheers fred how about this one ^^

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i got a group n on mine and for the money its a good buy imo, i could deffo tell in mid range especially. On my 'private runway' lol, i'm now ten+ mph faster at the same point than before.... my mods are panel filter and decatted exhaust. The ecu is easy to fit, just bang it in, job done ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
*** just to add, i think people with modded inlets are very anal about it running lean, andy from bb said some guy off here crawled to bb @30mph to have this group n ecu fitted, they banged it on the rollers before the group n ecu was fitted and it was fine! fueling was okThe standard ecu does have a tollerence either way!!!

Vectra :(
Nick @ hillpower said the same, the standard ecu will compensate for it running lean, with other breathing mods like decats, IKs etc it will still coap to a point. I had an uprated fuel pressure regulator fitted instead of a remap, tons cheaper and when it went on the rollers afterwards the fueling was fine.

A remap/ group N would add a few more horses tho

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
gt_gaz said:
i got a group n on mine and for the money its a good buy imo, i could deffo tell in mid range especially. On my 'private runway' lol, i'm now ten+ mph faster at the same point than before.... my mods are panel filter and decatted exhaust. The ecu is easy to fit, just bang it in, job done ;)

what gp n ecu you got mate and how much did you pay?

172 cup'd extreme
if you can do without your car for a few days send it to fastchip in holland €275 if you have performance induction or €220 (£153) if you dont thats a bargain imo!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
E-ray_172 said:
what gp n ecu you got mate and how much did you pay?

from bb tuning (they are phase specific ecu), they are around £280, if your a clio sport member ;) give em a ring they are very friendly

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
gt_gaz said:
from bb tuning (they are phase specific ecu), they are around £280, if your a clio sport member ;) give em a ring they are very friendly

i looked on there site mate, it says 380 :S

Hillpower will do the group N ecu for £275 supply only for club members, thinks its £300-£350 for non club tho

GDI have it for £295 supply only, not sure what discount you get from that tho

Rick

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
wish hill power would update their site, looks old and only seems to mention valvers etc, but as we know they do lots lots more

Yeah webby is a little old. Best ringing for prices. I know the group N is £275 for members at the moment because spoke to him earlier about it

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
prices seem fair,

dont sure about this->

what would happen if i get my aftermarket stealth exhaust a month or so later, do i just re-fit the gp n ecu or will have to buy another one?

Will be fine mate. The group N is mapped for performance exhausts already so in actually fact putting the ecu in before the exhaust isnt using the ecu to its fullest.

Someone will correct me if i am wrong but i think thats correct and it wouldnt need reseting or refitting, would just work and adapt to your changes

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
Lam7r said:
Will be fine mate. The group N is mapped for performance exhausts already so in actually fact putting the ecu in before the exhaust isnt using the ecu to its fullest.

Someone will correct me if i am wrong but i think thats correct and it wouldnt need reseting or refitting, would just work and adapt to your changes

cheers mate if thats the case will speak to andy about getting my inlet/chip slapped on :)
that was the only thing holding me back from fitting the inlet.
hopefully your right mate, that'll make my night.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
if you leave the battery off for 15 mins, then allow to idle...

it will reset the mixture, however you will probably find its too rich for best power but it will run safely.

Would the ecu not just compensate for the new mods. I thought the standard ecu would do this and not need resetting so assumed same for group N.

I have never done that to mine with my mods. Do you think its worth disconnecting the battery for 15 mins?

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
confused again lol
so if i get the exhaust then do the inlet/group n ecu it should not run rich but if i do the inlet then ecu then exhaust it will run rich.

is that the right idea?

Remap Tuning Available
It will be ok no matter what simple mods you do,, after all there only small mods ,,, its not as if you are bolting a turbo or a supercharger on.

VaVa
I have ITG Maxogen, S/S cat back exhaust and a Hillpower Inlet Manifold with a Group N ECU. I have no power graphs, but my car goes like stink and pulls much harder lower down in the rev range. (how it should have been from the factory imho).

Hillpower supllied my GroupN ECU, which is a Renaultsport part. You get a whole new ECU for £270 - not just a remap downloaded to your original ECU. The beuaty of this is that I can return my car to near enough standard quite easily.

One thing to bw wary of is that there are different types of groupN ECU available. I was supplied with the wrong one for my car - It idles at 1200rpm (which you barely notice tbh) and my cruise/CC don't funtion correctly. I rang Nick about it some time ago and he seemed to think that Renault had sent the wrong part. I gave him my chassis number etc although I haven't heard anything back from him yet.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
lagerlout1 said:
I have ITG Maxogen, S/S cat back exhaust and a Hillpower Inlet Manifold with a Group N ECU. I have no power graphs, but my car goes like stink and pulls much harder lower down in the rev range. (how it should have been from the factory imho).

Hillpower supllied my GroupN ECU, which is a Renaultsport part. You get a whole new ECU for £270 - not just a remap downloaded to your original ECU. The beuaty of this is that I can return my car to near enough standard quite easily.

One thing to bw wary of is that there are different types of groupN ECU available. I was supplied with the wrong one for my car - It idles at 1200rpm (which you barely notice tbh) and my cruise/CC don't funtion correctly. I rang Nick about it some time ago and he seemed to think that Renault had sent the wrong part. I gave him my chassis number etc although I haven't heard anything back from him yet.

cheers for the info dude, did you do all the mods then slap the gp-n ecu.

VaVa
Had the ITg and zorst already for a few months.... then had Inlet and GrpN on same day. Inlet first by about 3 hours as my ECU was late being delivered.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
ok so u did the ecu last. im unsure if i should do the inlet then ecu and then my exhuast then when it rusts, but heard that the ecu should be done last. which means il have to wait for it to rust before i get my inlet on :(

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
no don't worry about it!!!! i already have a zorts and filter, then fitted the ecu, i'm currently WAITING ;) for my modded inlet, so that will be last, it will adjust accordingly, and tbh the exhaust wont alter much anything, its the inlet side of things that alter air/fueling etc

trust me dont worry about it!!!