ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gtt conv.- easy right

how much work is it to whack a turbo block into an rt (j-reg)? do they share engine mounts/driveshafts? how much would i be looking at to get it done if i supplied the motor? is it worth it? thanks in advance!

Suzuki SV650

From hearsay I think the conversion would be a grand plus the donor car. Driveshafts would be different I think, not sure about anything else. Torsion Tuning do this in the East of England and if you live more on the West side of England EP Motorsports do this, they are in Stoke-On-Trent.

Is it worth it? You could get 200bhp out of a tuned R5 GTT engine for a lot less than a 16v engine. So yes. :eek:)

yeah but your swapping an advanced engine which in most cases is at least 5 yrs newer for a older more unreliable engine.

I got a perfect Donor car in the garage which i could use the engine for but cant see the logic in it. Will probably change my mind on the conversion once i get a lift in TTs one.

Think the conversion would be ok for base model clios but still feel that the conversion on the Valver is taking a step backwards

i think your right bout not doing the conv. to a valva, but im just after budget performance and cheap thrills! i was thinkin bout getting hold of a GTT motor and completly rebuilding it so shouldnt be too bad on the reliability front?

if you want to get motoring as fast as possible just bang the engine in with the existing drivetrain.

It will mate up with whatever box you have there quite happily.

Need to use a lower offside engine mount, use the 5 mount.

Then its the fueling and exhaust to worry about.

The wiring isnt hard either.

A grand pah, that could get you 2 19 16Vs and full tanks for that if you shop around, or 1 pug 405 MI16 and a 205/309 to stick the engine into.

Also the GTT lump is not unreliable. What makes it un-reliable is idiots winding up the boost making the air as dense as Stephen Hawking (not very) and as hot as the arse of the sun causing nasty things to happen. And the fact the coolants rustier than the titanic and 80% of the rad is blocked.

The GTT engine is a good engine despite is shortcomings (non crossflow for examplke), it will last if treated properly and will make big power, all day everyday if it has to.

I cant remember how many times Ive thought about this. Ive studied pictures, diagrams, researched things like the fuel pressure differences.

The thing I am most hesitant about is the wiring. (Being colour blind doesnt help) Anyone got any idea at all about what would be involved?

when you have done a few the wiring is ok, we make a new loom from scratch and include safety features like an inertia cut off for the fuel and igniton system.

i know there are lots of options on this, but the best thing i can say, if you are close enough come down and we will take you for a spin in one of our demos!

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

going from th 16v to a GTT is a step back in technology terms (choke - WTF?), but apart from that, its great. If you want pig power its the ONLY way to get it for reasonable money. Mine pisses all over my 16v and its just funny quick, like whoever you race has their handbrake on when the turbo kicks in.

Its hard to get used to a GTT after driving a 16v for so long tho, its hard to keep the revs from goin too high without a rev limiter which is obviously the opposite to a 16v.

I am also putting a GTT lump in my clio, its most defientely the cheapest way to get big power under a clio bonnet, cant wait im like a little kid!!

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Is there anyone going to the French Car Show who has had the GTT conversion done. Ive seen a few pictures but it would be good to have a real good look around one to see how it fits, which mounts youve used etc.

Rick