ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had a go with my new toy today... /ASW content

Barge
Well after purchasing a machine polish kit from i4Detailing which arrived a few weeks back, I finally got some time to give it a go. I wasn't sure what to expect really but I'm quite glad I've given it a go myself and to be honest I've surprised myself. It's by no means perfect but it's a massive improvement on what a swirlbus was... which you'll see from the pics shortly. It was in bad condition when I bought it and it’s been something which has bugged me since owning it.

All I can say now is I'm well and truly fooked... So after writing this I'm off for a Rolo yogurt and a bottle of diet coke... Such wild living. :eek:

Day starts at 8am...

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

Hai...

DSC00149.jpg

I firstly blast the car down with the Karcher, removing all those insect nasties. Then give the car a wash with Gold Class - it smells the best. Whilst wet I set about claying with Born Slippy. Clay wasn't too bad really; paint did feel much better though!

DSC00151.jpg

It’s already starting to look loads better with just a clay. The paintwork was ridiculously dull...

DSC00153.jpg

I took some shots of the paintwork as it was, pretty shocking TBH. I really do think a scourer has been used to wash it in the past. LOL.

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00181a.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

Then after an afternoon of using the Kestral DAS6, followed by Ultra Deep Shine and a coat of Dodo Juice it ends up looking like this...

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00192a.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00199-1.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Was Reading your thread earlier where you were deciding what kit to buy..
Got to be happy with that, esp for first time. Have been quoted £150 for a machine polish, and tbh after seeing results, considering treating myself to some gear..

Bumder With A Buffer
Nice going.

Dont you find though that using the das-6 it feels like your hand will fall off!??!!

I iwish the on off switch was slightly better placed.

Barge
My wrist is killing, Richy! Whole body aches, TBH. Especially my back!

The pink sticker is mint. I'm quite surprised it turned out so well in the pictures, it sometimes just looks white in them. The wellies and joggers came off at 10am for shorts and flip flops! It was roasting!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Looking good, :) I always hate the texture detailing leaves on your hands. Women must die when they see there hands in such a bad state?!

Bumder With A Buffer
Im seriously considering getting Rotary as I hate using my das-6. I just never feel in control of it. My wrists ache after using it too!

I am a weekling mind :eek:

Bumder With A Buffer
Thats what im thinking. Plus the action of the DA just makes me feel uncomfortable when im using it...does that sound silly???!!??

Barge
All the 50/50s were crap, lighting wasn't great so they just didn't come out when I looked at them on the PC. :dapprove:

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Cool.
My first go tomorrow. I've read the other thread, but any new tips after giving it a go?

Barge
Tips are that it'll take ages! Also I had a little spray bottle of water to hand for polishing when it was really hot, even though I was in a garage the polish sometimes stiffened up, couple of blasts of water and I was away again. The other thing is use setting 1 first speed wise - a couple of minutes on that and you're used to it then up the speed and you're off.

I found doing little areas best, especially when it got hot in the garage. Also mask up well, I forgot about my fogs and touched the plastic with the pad, so I'll have to fix that tomorrow. :) Other than those you'll get the hang of it pretty easy.

I assure you if I can do it - anyone can!

None
I'm so glad you're a girl.......the first pic had me thinking there was some guy out there wearing pink flowery wellies!
The car looks mint though, good job, i would have a go myself but for the fear of burning all my paintwork off :)

Not a 320d
Im seriously considering getting Rotary as I hate using my das-6. I just never feel in control of it. My wrists ache after using it too!

I am a weekling mind :eek:

What do you think a rotary will be like lol?!

DA's are piss to use. Rotarys can be a proper cow to use sometimes they have a lot more bite. They are also much heavier.

Barge
Thanks guys. Ste666 you can't go wrong with a DAS, a rotary is a different kettle of fish from reading stuff on here.

None
Thanks guys. Ste666 you can't go wrong with a DAS, a rotary is a different kettle of fish from reading stuff on here.

I'm a bit lost here, sorry for asking if this is a thick question but is a DAS and rotary two different types of machine polishers?.........I've never used anything more than a rag and polish on my cars before :eek:

Megane R26
Yep, DAS6 is a DA (Dual Action) which is safer, but correction takes a lot longer.

Great results Needster, that kit is definitely the one to go for on Clio paint, glad it all worked out well for you :)

Russ.

Barge
Just LOL. Thanks for the compliments.

Russ, thank you, and all the others - Boosh, Markie, et al. for helping me information wise. God send. Much love.

None
Yep, DAS6 is a DA (Dual Action) which is safer, but correction takes a lot longer.

Great results Needster, that kit is definitely the one to go for on Clio paint, glad it all worked out well for you :)

Russ.
Thanks for that info :eek:

clio 172
nice job .can i ask what you used darlin becouse when i do mine it takes 6 hours and i dont have eny swirl left .as i can you have so maybe if you got a better de swirl mix you mite be more impresed with your self bet it looks spankin in person thow

Barge
Looking at it in the sun today it's really good. Light occasional swirls.

I used the white cutting pad from the kit with 3.02 Menz polish, using 4 speed. It was really badly scratched/swirled.