ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handbrake light on when accelerating

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
When accelerating the handbrake light is permanently on, it goes away off throttle or braking, when maintaining a constant speed with the throttle it flickers, i've checked the brake fluid reservoir and it's full, usually when you fluid is low the STOP and brake light comes on when cornering, also when going up hill on throttle it's on constantly, but off throttle up hill or stopped with the foot brake it isn't on which is odd, if it was to do with the fluid it should be on when pointing up the same hill throttle or not.

The only thing I can think that's changed is the handbrake cable was recently tightened when new rear pads were fitted, so maybe the sensor can't tell when the handbrakes on or off, but that wouldn't explain it flickering or only really being permanently on when accelerating, any ideas?

Clio 1.4 16v
When accelerating the handbrake light is permanently on, it goes away off throttle or braking, when maintaining a constant speed with the throttle it flickers, i've checked the brake fluid reservoir and it's full, usually when you fluid is low the STOP and brake light comes on when cornering, also when going up hill on throttle it's on constantly, but off throttle up hill or stopped with the foot brake it isn't on which is odd, if it was to do with the fluid it should be on when pointing up the same hill throttle or not.

The only thing I can think that's changed is the handbrake cable was recently tightened when new rear pads were fitted, so maybe the sensor can't tell when the handbrakes on or off, but that wouldn't explain it flickering or only really being permanently on when accelerating, any ideas?
I was gonna say check the reservoir as iv read this today. I also read to unplug the resovoir sensor and see if it still flickers this will check whether that's faulty.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Fluid is full as far as I can tell, although the gap between max and min is very small, looks to be about a 20mm difference.

Also why wouldn't it come on when pointing up or downhill but only on throttle, surely if it was low fluid it should do it on all inclines, not just on throttle?

Last edited:

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
It may just be dirty so causing a bad reading on the level sensor. You can get one of those turkey baster things to get some of the old fluid out, then replace with new?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds like a plan, it's been in there a few years and it was on my to do list before CSF track day, I just don't get how it was fine when the pads were near enough grinding and the piston was fully out, but now the pads are new and the piston is wound in it's gone haywire.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
aslong as your still getting a good pedal no spongy feeling or loosing fluids from any of four corners then it's not a major issue. Level sensor on the bottle cap possibly playing up , or the fluids that shitty now it's having hard time reading levels

Wiring ok to the lid or has it been snatched / melted on anything

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
The sensor on top of the bottle is all sh*tted up with gunk, I think it's more than likely the fluids that old it's full of crap and needs flushing, tbh I might just Turkey Baste it out and stick some fresh in, i've no idea what grade of fluid's in there, will mixing Dot4 and Dot5.1 make any difference?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Only put dot 4 with dot 4!!
I'd add it to yoUr list for some better brake fluid ( super blue ect ) for a full flush ect before the track day mate.

Ideally you need brake cleaner to clean the bottle top and sensor