ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hard To Down Gear

I have a 2003 1.2 16v. My mechanic informed me that my os cv needs replacin a couple of months ago, but i have never got round to gettin it sorted. I am now havin trouble changing down gear from 2nd to 1st for example when at lights etc. Could these two faults be related?

Thanks

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
no fraid not.

check the gearbox oil level. At what speeds is changing down now difficult? unless your going very slow i would have thought 1st gear would struggle

BMW F31
mine has had this problem since just after i bought it, no probs with reverse etc. any ideas?

i did speak to clutch place once and they said i may need a new gearbox beacuse of the synchros had gone!

im gonna get my mate to top up the gear box oil next week when i get it serviced and see if that makes a difference :)

Mines not easy to get into first when crawling in traffic, and it doesn't like 2nd at those speeds. When the renault mechanic test drove it (looking at another problem) he put it into first alot earlier than I would off and was quite not forceful but direct with it. I don't reckon theres anything wrong with mine, just a nasty french gear box tbh.

BMW F31
yeah i have days where mines fine and others where i really struggle to get it into first whilst at a standstill

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i left a cv joint for 2 months before replacing it, but it ate the gearbox before i got round to it, needed the following parts

gearbox - £150 2nd hand
driveshaft - £100 from renault
dogbone mount - £35 (£40 on top of that for polly bushes for it i think i payed)
cat - (when mount snapped it burst flexi pipe (£350 from k-tec (£490 from renault))
gearbox oil - £30 or something?

lucky i didnt have to pay labour because i done it myself! £700 odd in parts!

BMW F31
my cv joint is fine, just had a new driveshaft etc fitted but admittadly i havn't much of a problem with selecting gears etc recently

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mine didnt feel any different even the 2nd before it happened then there was a loud knock and it felt like the 2 front wheels locked for half a second then it jumped out of gear, i thought what was that, exhaust note doubled and couldnt get it into gear (could feel the engine swinging back and forward.

the roller pins went into the gearbox locking it up for a second causing a judder which snapped the bolt that goes thru the dogbone into the gearbox, so engine swung pulling the exhaust and bursting the flexi.

just had the 2 rear wheelbearings done 2 days before it happened, 2 new apex front dampers the week before that and the week AFTER the new gearbox ect went in the water pump went and so did the rocker cover gasket, its been off the road for nearly 2 months now! getting fixed this weekend!!

BMW F31
ouch and i thought i was having problems, jeez feel for ya mate!

why do these things happen at the beginning of the year lol when money is a bloody issue! lol