ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HD vs DVD

Just watched Oceans 13 via the XBOX Live movie download thing and tbh, I dont see what all the fuss is about.

Its a tiny bit sharper, but it not massively IMO! Ive got Oceans 13 in 700MB format :eek: so switched between them afterwards and the difference is tiny tbh.

For the difference to be so small with a downloaded compressed film, I, personally wouldnt notice anything with an upscaled DVD.

Although I was quite impressed with the speed it downloaded at. 5.5GB in 4hours, peak time on Virgin is a borderline miracle!

I was all set to be blown away and wanting a PS3 for a Blu-Ray player, but now im not bothered.

Not the massive leap I was expecting or hoping for! :(

330Ci (Fail)Sport
How big is your TV and what resolution? Generally, you'll notice it more improvement the larger the screen is.

I have seen blu-ray on 50" TV all hooked up with proper top notch cables and I thought it was amazing. The HDMI cable is sooo important.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
42" and 720p which is what XBOX Live films come as.

Obviously you wont see the same quality as if were 1080p but with 42" TV it prob wont make the biggest difference. What might make the difference is the fact that your TV will have to upscale the movie as 720p resolution is 1280x720 and I'm guessing your TV is either 1366x768 or 1920x1080, so can be slight losses of quality there. I'd doubt it'd make much difference though. Probably more down to the compression of the movie file. If you're thinking about a PS3, see if someone is willing to bring it round to yours so you can try it with your TV, or get a shop to set it up for you. I'd be very suprised if you didn't notice any differences over a DVD.

The HDMI cable is sooo important.

No it isnt, thats the LEAST important tbh

Your system is only as good as your worst component. So a crap cable will bring crap results. That cable has to carry the HD data, a better quality cable will do it better, so better results. I've seen how results can change between £5 and £20 cables for whatever needs, not just HDMI. Even a high quality mains plug can improve the quality of your component.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Just watched Oceans 13 via the XBOX Live movie download thing and tbh, I dont see what all the fuss is about.

Its a tiny bit sharper, but it not massively IMO! Ive got Oceans 13 in 700MB format :eek: so switched between them afterwards and the difference is tiny tbh.

For the difference to be so small with a downloaded compressed film, I, personally wouldnt notice anything with an upscaled DVD.

Although I was quite impressed with the speed it downloaded at. 5.5GB in 4hours, peak time on Virgin is a borderline miracle!

I was all set to be blown away and wanting a PS3 for a Blu-Ray player, but now im not bothered.

revels, you can't decide you don't fancy HD from watching a crappy movie on xbox live.

A normaly DVD is 8.5gb, so how could a 5.5 gb movie be as good as a 20gb version in HD.

Just because the resolution is 720p, the encoding and bit rate may be s**t.

Plus oceans 13 is not the pinnacle of HD.

If you watch Transformers on a 37" 1080p tv and then don't like the quality and upgrade over dvd then maybe you need glasses but i certainly wouldn't go off a inferior quality download from live.

HDMI is digital, so the cable cost is irrelevant.

But I only have cheapo component freebie cables that came with my 360, so maybe that wont be helping.

I thought you wouldnt notice the difference between 1080 and 720 at 42" anyway? Thats what 99% of people say..

revels, you can't decide you don't fancy HD from watching a crappy movie on xbox live.

A normaly DVD is 8.5gb, so how could a 5.5 gb movie be as good as a 20gb version in HD.

Just because the resolution is 720p, the encoding and bit rate may be s**t.

Plus oceans 13 is not the pinnacle of HD.

If you watch Transformers on a 37" 1080p tv and then don't like the quality and upgrade over dvd then maybe you need glasses but i certainly wouldn't go off a inferior quality download from live.

Dont say things like that, i'll end up spending money! lol..

I hadnt thought about the compression. I need to test something else! Hmmmm

Ive got contacts, so my eyesight isnt the issue! ;)

Monaro VXR
With regard to more expensive cables.

That only applies in analogue systems. Not digital ones. It transmits 0's and 1's as long as they get to the decoder a more expensive cable is not going to get them there better. It will be exactly the same. Check pretty much any AV forum and they will say the same thing.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Hmmm maybe it was just me seeing things but could have sworn it looked better than a cheapo cable.

But it does make sense since its all 0s and 1s.

Ok so cable aside :eek: it prob the fact that its 720p and compressed file. Upscale a regular DVD to 1080i and should see a difference in that.

dk

911 GTS Cab

That only applies in analogue systems. Not digital ones. It transmits 0's and 1's as long as they get to the decoder a more expensive cable is not going to get them there better. It will be exactly the same. Check pretty much any AV forum and they will say the same thing.
it can get them there better, as long as all the 1's and 0's reach their destination the picture won't be any worse but its just that, if some of them don't then thats when you get pixelation like when the picture breaks up slightly on freeview.

More expensive cables use better components and better shielding to protect from interference.

A more expensive cable will make a difference as it is less likely to have any problems or suffer from outside interference.

Chelsea tractor
Weird :S I hired Ratatouille as a Blue Ray from Blockbuster and thought it was loads better than a normal dvd!

dk

911 GTS Cab
HDMI is digital, so the cable cost is irrelevant.

But I only have cheapo component freebie cables that came with my 360, so maybe that wont be helping.

I thought you wouldnt notice the difference between 1080 and 720 at 42" anyway? Thats what 99% of people say..
i use my ps3 on a 32" samsung 720p screen and at christmas I took it home and used it on my dads 37" 1080p tv and the difference was noticeable for me, also was round at a mates house and was playing COD4 on a 42" 1080p screen and that was also noticeably better.

Its best to see what the difference is yourself rather than listening to some geeks on a car forum.

I've not watched an xbox live movie but i know that at 5.5gb it just technically cannot be as good a quality as a full hd movie, and it must be the bit rate thats lower to make it smaller, and the fact that its only in 720p so won't upscale to 1080 well etc.

Monaro VXR

it can get them there better, as long as all the 1's and 0's reach their destination the picture won't be any worse but its just that, if some of them don't then thats when you get pixelation like when the picture breaks up slightly on freeview.

More expensive cables use better components and better shielding to protect from interference.

A more expensive cable will make a difference as it is less likely to have any problems or suffer from outside interference.

As long as it gets there fine in the first place with a cheap cable which over short distance most of us use is fine for cheap cables. A more expensive one will make sod all difference. I kind of said that just not very well.

If you have no pixelation on a cheap £5 cable a £100+ cable is going to make no difference with picture quality.

And on the subject of 720p versus 1080p...I sometimes hook my PS3 into my PC monitor which is a 24" screen I can tell when it is using 720p versus 1080p as it just doesn't look nearly as sharp. And thats only on a 24" screen on a 32" + I would imagine it is easy to see the differences.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I think a pc monitor would tell easier as they tend to be sharper. Plus its prob higher res than 32" TV.

Maybe I was right about the cable then...whatever system, you'll just have to try different ones and see I suppose.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
tbh download LOST in 720p and put that on your telly and it's significantly better than it's regular counterpart....i've done it loads of time and it makes a lot of difference. Really seeing a bluray movie on a ps3 is your way forward...

cable makes no difference so get whatever one.

Nippy white cup
Yeah defo noticable m8. My little girl was watching Surfs up std DVD after I had been watching HD stuff the day before and it looked like a poor quality copied dvd in comparison imo

As said something like Transformers or 300 on proper HD will change you mind for sure

Chris

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I watch all my tv shows like that in 720p.. Lost, prison break etc.

Going back to SD looks like going from DVD back to VHS.

Octy VRS
I noticed a big difference on my Sony 32" + PS3 and that's only 720p. A lot can depend on the film also. Watch something like an episode of Planet Earth or film like 300. If you aren't using HDMI it also makes a noticeable difference

I've been looking at Blu-ray players with my old man for a while now. Having been to an audio visual test on a new 50" Pioneer screen and shown the difference between that and a couple of others with different settings etc to me, there is a difference and when this comes down in price (just a touch lol) it'll replace what we've got at the moment I'm hoping, along with a new KURO screen from Pioneer.

I'm planning on getting a PS3 soon anyway so it kind of makes sense to start upgrading the telly and the player to blu-ray, that means I can pinch the 50" we've got! Hey, we've all got dreams ;)

Please lets not have a discussion on HDMI cables..

It makes NO difference at all, providing you have no artifacts or break ups. If you don't have artifacts on the screen, then replacing the cable will make absolutely no difference.

And, before anyone argues, argue with Science instead.. cus' I can't be bothered :p

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Slightly OT....

Audio Visual manufacturers must wet themselves that they've got such discerning (read: "gullible") customers.

They're some of the worst offenders for crapness with what you can't see, what do you think your lovely shiny gold plated connections are connected to internally, they also have the habit of using phenolic PCBs.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
And, before anyone argues, argue with Science instead.. cus' I can't be bothered :p

AV geeks will denounce science as wichcraft.

"I've spent £400 on a cable, therefore it must be better than a £5 one"

Clio 200 Raider
u cant have a 720p tv and say that hd looks crap your only experience is half the experience. 1080p on a decent tv will look loads sharper.
i had a 32 inch 720p tv then sold it for a new samsung 1080p the difference is very noticeable.

ive downloaded xbox films the quality is good but not amazing. like all ready discussed in this thread the size is about a quarter of a hd or blu ray disc so not even the same file size

stick in a hd dvd or blu ray disc and its definaltey sharper at 1080p.
i believe it does depend on the film aswell.

You cannot beat transformers on a 1080p 46 f series samsung tv with surround sound.

to be honest the hdmi cable thing is all myth.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Yeah defo noticable m8. My little girl was watching Surfs up std DVD after I had been watching HD stuff the day before and it looked like a poor quality copied dvd in comparison imo

As said something like Transformers or 300 on proper HD will change you mind for sure

Chris
surfs up on bluray is absolutely amazing, one of the best pictures i have ever seen on any format!

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Hmmm maybe it was just me seeing things but could have sworn it looked better than a cheapo cable.

Don't give up on your argument yet. Monster Cable, who charge up to £100 for an HDMI cable, have proved that the extra bandwidth and speed in their cables helped outperform cheaper cables (£20 and below) in quality overall. Search youtube for it. Although, only a real HD junkie would notice. I use a cheapy I got for my PS3. My TV doesn't support 1080p so I'm running at 1080i.

Revels. Buy a proper HDDVD player... well, in this case a Blu-Ray as HDDVD is now dead. I have a PS3 for Blu-Ray and have my HDDVD add-on for my 360, and I can tell the difference between both. For some reason, the HDDVDs on the XBOX have widescreen borders, but my Superbad Blue-Ray is super-crisp and fullscreen on the PS3. But yeah, get a much newer film and you should be able to tell.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Don't give up on your argument yet. Monster Cable, who charge up to £100 for an HDMI cable, have proved that the extra bandwidth and speed in their cables helped outperform cheaper cables (£20 and below) in quality overall. Search youtube for it. Although, only a real HD junkie would notice. I use a cheapy I got for my PS3. My TV doesn't support 1080p so I'm running at 1080i.

Revels. Buy a proper HDDVD player... well, in this case a Blu-Ray as HDDVD is now dead. I have a PS3 for Blu-Ray and have my HDDVD add-on for my 360, and I can tell the difference between both. For some reason, the HDDVDs on the XBOX have widescreen borders, but my Superbad Blue-Ray is super-crisp and fullscreen on the PS3. But yeah, get a much newer film and you should be able to tell.
LOL @ widescreen borders, I love it when I see this written on forums, people complaining about the black borders, like it is something new, its been around since DVD first came about, people have 16:9 tv's and most films are filmed in 2.35:1, half the films i own are 2.35:1 (giving the borders top and bottom), has nothing to do with HD-DVD or Bluray, its just a wider picture than tv's are made for.

There is no difference between Bluray and HD-DVD, the only difference could be if they use different codecs for each version of the film like was the case a year back, nothing to do with the format, just depends on what the distributoe decided to encode the film with, using the same codec, the picture will be identical as its taken form the same original.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
AV geeks will denounce science as wichcraft.

"I've spent £400 on a cable, therefore it must be better than a £5 one"

With sound cables that's entirely correct.

It used to be the same for video too before this new fangled HDMI turned up.

b****cks. People will believe what they want to believe.

I could put a £1000 cable on audio and make another one up at work from scrap and you would not be able to tell any difference.

Seriously, you shielding is the key here. Having expensive cables won't make any difference when what's inside is crap, nice shiny gold connectors on the back connect to nasty lead & tin combinations inside.....

T

thecremeegg

LOL @ widescreen borders, I love it when I see this written on forums, people complaining about the black borders, like it is something new, its been around since DVD first came about, people have 16:9 tv's and most films are filmed in 2.35:1, half the films i own are 2.35:1 (giving the borders top and bottom), has nothing to do with HD-DVD or Bluray, its just a wider picture than tv's are made for.

This bugs me though. Why buy a widescreen telly if you still get black borders?! Widescreen TVs are not as tall so you get even less vertical picture than you did before, why can they not film in the same format as a TV?

Grrrr

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
cause then you would get black bars on the cinema screen lol..

I know what your getting at though and yes it is a bit annoying.. its either that or they start doing things like pan+scans or crops which ultimately would mean your missing some of the original frame.