ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

heater gauge problems

clio 182
noticed this the other day while on the motorway, said my car was cold, needdle all the way at the bottom (i was 45miles in my trip on the M62). my mate said just tap it, so as a joke I did, and a few seconds later it lifted to halfway, (normal opperating reading) and didnt think anything of it. and today on the way to work (on a motorway) it started off half way then the needle fell to the bottom. then lifted to just under half way. doing this all the time now.

anyone way ideas? cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Either a clockset fault, CTS fault or wiring. Silly question but I assume the heater is still pumping out cracking hot air whilst the needle is doing its "thing"?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
"CTS" is an abbreviation for "Coolant Temp Sensor". This is the little unit that sits in the engine which reports back to the ECM the actual coolant temp. The ECM then uses this information for several purposes; one of which is to send the clock-set the information to display to you.

If the sensor isn't right the gauge won't read right... it could also be a fault with the clock stack itself or the wiring to.

Mick

clio 182
cheers for that! might take a look into it. no noticeable changes in the car while driving when this happens either

clio 182
just to let u know, the car thought it was a good idea to die on me at a big motorway junction roundabout, wouldnt start, and before it died it was almost like it was missfiring with no power but would keep a steady speed. AA towed me to a local garage and they both think it could be a "temp sensor"