ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heavy Braking Question

RS 172
Hey all, just a quick question about heavy braking in the 172 and whether or not my experiences are normal.

When I get on the brakes hard (i.e. when a goon decides to pull out on me), I tend to find my car squirms a lot, like the front end dips and the rear end gets light and tries to float out to the side. I wonder if this is normal, and I'm sure not used to having a car with discs all round etc, or if my ABS is playing up or the brakes arnt set up right (like the brake bias etc).

Sort of feels as though the front end is way out-braking the rear. I know front bias should be heavier than the rear, just feels as though the car likes to squirm around a lot.

PH1 172 Sport
The rear brakes hardly do a thing. There are several reasons why the car could be squirming. Does it feel likes it wandering across the road when braking?

S3, HD Nightster
You would probably be travelling quite fast when this normally happens no? Lots of weight shifting to the front under hard braking, think about it. Just keep hold of that steering wheel and learn to like it, it's fun lol.

RS 172
It doesnt so much feel like its wandering, just feels like it could lock up any second and like it wants to spin out. I'm probably describing it to sound worse than it is, its far from uncontrollable, just caught me by surprise the first time when it felt very light and squirmy.

PH1 172 Sport
Did some really hard stops on the way home today and from what your describing it sounds normal!!

octavia vRS TFSI
sounds to me like you are braking on the limits of what the tyres will handle before they lock up. wouldnt worry bout that. thats where you want to be when braking hard. just dont do that and turn as you'll sh!t ya pants then;)