ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP ~ Alternator Probs!!!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

OK, 4 my Fiesta RS Turbo BTW. Bought a brand new alternator and fitted it as the old 1 was fitted. It worked fine for a week but after some vibration felt through the accerater pedal behind the bulk head and a quick blast the blades hav bent out.

Basically this has been caused by the force of the belt bringing the alternators cooling blades into contact with the sliding manual adjustment arm, bending the blades out and cutting into the belt.

The alternator is lined up and works alright if i dont rev it too hard. The belt is now tight as i can get it. Was thinking about using spacers to bring the alternator itself away from the arm but then it would be out of line. How can i fix this? Any1 had this problem? Very VERY frustrating! HELP ME!

EXPERTS or EXPERIANCED (with Fiesta Mk3s, sorry) people needed to reply. Thanx a lot, Mikey.

PS. The securing bolts are in as tight as any human can get them.

so is the bracket bent or has the wrong alternator been fitted?

You may be running an HCS alt which is spaced differently.

Also it sounds like you over tensioned the belt, there should be an inch of total movement at the longest run of the belt.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

The sliding arm is bent anyway. The blades could be too big but thats the 2nd alternator ive had from BMS so im sure its the right 1.

Thinking about using a grinding wheel to take 1/2 an inch out of the arm where it catchs but dont c why i hav to do that when the old 1 didnt catch. :confused:

get down the scrappers and get another arm, same on any cvh aside from the seirras.

get all the bolts etc you can to.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

I think the blades r too big for it so gonna get some off a mates knackered cvh xr2i which is in a garage.

Just gonna put the old cooling blades on my new alternator, hopefully this should be easy. Touch wood.

It is the right alternator for sure just the cooling blades r a little longer than they should be. Ill update. Thanx 4 the help.