ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help, in the middle of changing suspension - which way round?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Im removing coilovers and replacing with standard set up but want to double check im doing it right.

Im on with the rears first. Do you know which way round the springs go as the look identicle both ways?

And does rubber bit sit on bottom or top?

Massive thanks

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
image.jpeg

The 182 FF has rubbers on both ends making it a nightmare getting them in and out on your own, I'll lose the top one next time they're out.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
They can only go one way. The top of the spring should be snug in the top shock plate so narrow towards the top.

As long as the spring fits perfectly in the grooves you'll be fine. If it's out of the cup slightly, you'll have a boingy noise when turning as it's not correctly fitted.

Have fun getting those rears in with both rubbers on, I had to get the missus to stand on the rear beam/hub to get them in and that was even a struggle.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Have fun getting those rears in with both rubbers on, I had to get the missus to stand on the rear beam/hub to get them in and that was even a struggle.

I've never had a problem...

Stick the top rubbers onto the body first, and with the lower shock bolts out the beam will drop (support with a jack) low enough to get the springs in.

Raise it back up with the jack and fit the bolts.

I've never had a problem...

Stick the top rubbers onto the body first, and with the lower shock bolts out the beam will drop (support with a jack) low enough to get the springs in.

Raise it back up with the jack and fit the bolts.
Not in my case, even with the bolts out and beam and hub hanging down freely there was no chance they where going in without a bit of pressure on the beam/hub.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I presume your removing your coilovers fully and discarding them? If you, you could grind the head and washer off and knock the bolt through that way.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
image.jpeg
We finally got it! Heated again and used a long bar with allen key attachment and it finally cracked loose.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I presume your removing your coilovers fully and discarding them? If you, you could grind the head and washer off and knock the bolt through that way.

Yea mate, completely removing them. It failed the MOT for the fronts. I have been wanting to go back to standard for a while so this has spurred me on to have to actually do it. First time I have ever done it.

PH2 172
Makes no difference as it is that tight, copper greased all of mine and all have needed heat to get off.

It should have been applied on assembly years ago.It`s no good applying it externally like Volterole and hope its going to ease your aching joints.

SQ5
Now I'm a bit more awake did you think I was copper greasing to get them off?!?

No, the adjusted was greased underneath but tolerances are so tight that it all comes off the surface.