ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help wanted oil problem

172 gone :( 197 now :)
The top up oil light came on car last week (197 56 plate) when I checked there was hardly any oil on dipstick it was well below min level I only had it serviced 9 weeks ago and checked level after and it was fine. I topped oil up and it hasn't lost any oil in the last week, it's not leaking oil there's none on my garage floor and the exhaust fumes look fine. The garage used 5w30 is this right cos when I went to buy oil to top up did a quick google search and came up with 5w40. Any ideas why the oil level would go down that quickly?

Clio 182 arctic
i too would like to know this, exactly the same boat as u buddy, service approx 10wk ago and oil level below min, i used the 5w40 tho so i dont think its anything to do with oil grade.

ValverInBits
always check the oil when the car is cold (particularly with diesels) and always on a level surface.
If your worried about consumption, the ONLY thing you can do for the minite is monitor it. Check the level as often as you can be bothered and don't fill till it's nearly at the lower limit, that way you'll know how much it's using per mile.
You can then check that against Renaults' 'reasonable oil usage' for the engine and see if it's too much.
My 172 never used a drop of oil, ever, and I do mean never. But some of the engines do use a bit

keep an eye for oil leaks down the side of the block - one common source is the rocker cover

Clio 182 arctic
just found out, the 2 markers on the dipstick only represent 1ltr, is this correct? if so then its used just over 1litre in 5k.

ValverInBits
If that's the case. That's quite a lot. make sure you keep an eye on it. You may find it is the rocker cover. If not, it could be a number of other things including valve stem seals or even as simple as leaks around the filter.

Dodgy one
It all depends how its driven and how hard a life its had, A litre in 5k isnt exessive Consumption will increase if you are doing pissy short journeys

M

mini-valver

Yup, a litre per thousand miles is considered acceptable by Renault. If you use that much though, I'd be concerned, lol.

M

mini-valver

LOL! Did the stem seals on my Corsa engine because it burnt 5 litres a week, stunk, ha.

L

lenny85

mines using about 1ltr every 600-1000 miles!! where abouts would the rocker cover be prone to leaking? think it is burning the exhaust tips are black after every weekend but no blue smoke on fast idle or hard driving??

Lionel Richie
its 5W40, i did a 12k service on a ex RUK 197 press car, the renaullt tech had proudly written in the service book "5W30 oil used" - you plum!

Fabia vRS
Similar thing happened to me today. I starting the car this afternoon after using it this morning and the oil light came on. Checked the dipstick and it was below the min level :eek: A liter or oil sorted it out but I checked it a month ago and the level was fine. No obvious leaks around the sump or filter. No evidence of it burning any either, i.e. no exhaust smoke or smells. Where else should I look for leaks?

Fabia vRS
Is the use of 5W40 critical? I can't guarantee the garage who serviced the car last used it. I topped the car up yesterday with 10W40 cos that's all I could get from my local petrol station.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
a common fault on the 197 was the plastic seals perishing on the bolts securing the top bit of the engine to the rest of it. LOL at my description!!! This caused it to be a bit loose and oil would leak out out of these points. It is quite tricky to see but get a torch and get your head under the bonnet and I believe this will be where your leak is. deffo worth checking out. I was told you can just tighten it back up again...

Lionel Richie
Is the use of 5W40 critical? I can't guarantee the garage who serviced the car last used it. I topped the car up yesterday with 10W40 cos that's all I could get from my local petrol station.

as long as the last number is 40 (or higher) then you're fine