ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! Warning lights

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi folks

Got a quick question I hope you can answer.

I noticed pretty much since I had my 172 that when I go round a sharp corner the stop and brake lights come on. This used to happen only when I went round one particulary sharp (almost 360-degree) bend near my home. But in the last 6 months it's started happening even at speed on the motorway when taking a long bend.

The engine doesn't cut out or splutter or anything like that and the lights go out about 10 seconds after I've straightened up. But the fact that it's getting worse is worrying. I'm due for a 36k service in the next month but if you guys had any idea as to what could be causing it in advance it'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked the oil could be running low and as you go round a sharp bend its enough to trigger the sensor switch?

Oil is possible but wouldn't the oil light come on if that was the case? This has been happening more or less since I first bought the car (from new) so I think we could possibly discount the brake pads.

I thought it could've been that the fuel "leans" to 1 side of the tank thus fooling the car into thinking it wasn't getting any. But this happens even when the tank is full (iirc) and the low fuel light doesn't come on!

Baffled!

If it were brake related then the brake warning and/or Abs light would come on. So I think you could discount the brakes. I would check the oil (engine and gearbox) to make sure there is sufficent oil, Just to be on the safe side. If its been coming on since you bought the car new I would be inclined to think that its possible a dodgy sensor or a loose connection. I would get it into renault and get a diagnostics check done at least that should highlight the area in which the problem is occuring from.

CrazyK said:
If it were brake related then the brake warning and/or Abs light would come on. So I think you could discount the brakes. I would check the oil (engine and gearbox) to make sure there is sufficent oil, Just to be on the safe side. If its been coming on since you bought the car new I would be inclined to think that its possible a dodgy sensor or a loose connection. I would get it into renault and get a diagnostics check done at least that should highlight the area in which the problem is occuring from.

Thanks CrazyK, I'll do that. As long as it's nothing that gonna require a huge outlay and it's not the indication of something more serious about to give! :approve:

Da

Less
I'd check your brake fluid levels. Sounds like the brake pads are worn down allowing more fluid into the system which lowers the level in the reservoir. The bends/turns you mention will be causing the fluid to go to one side of the reservoir making your 'low level' warning light come on.