ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

higher rate rear springs - options?

I'm wondering what are the options for rear springs on the 1*2's? I've a standard cup-packed 182 and from what I can gather from web reading is that this will be the highest rate rear spring out of all the mk2 clio's out of the factory. I want to know how to get a stiffer spring without buying a set of coil-overs. Is this possible?

Can anyone offer advice with actual knowledge of rates? I'm thinking a custom design is my best option but are there any companies offering something like this?

Just to clarify... I'm not wanting a lowering kit, I'm only interested in tuning my chassis in simple steps to make it handle how I want on track. I know most others just get coil-overs to have full adjustability but I don't want to spend any significant amount of money on the car and feel upping rear rates at same ride height will be beneficial.

Hmm... have looked at whiteline rear bar but I'm a bit of a purist and don't think it will give the feel I am after. I'm not a fan of using too much ARB to balance chassis, as standard it's a 24mm arb on rear and inside rear wheel hangs in the air - more ARB will give better turn in, yes, but I believe stiffer rear springs are the key to getting more front grip on fwd.

Proline? is that eibach's? I suspect (but have no data) that they are progressive and will likely be a softer rate initially than standard cup-spec springs. Any data?

I think I am not got going to find an easy answer to this one, am I?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Faulkner or Coilsprings.co.uk will make you some up or use 2 1/4 id springs with a rear adjuster like they use on the cheaper coilover sets.
Have a look at AST coilovers as it has 3 different spring rates listed and there use.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Faulkner or Coilsprings.co.uk will make you some up or use 2 1/4 id springs with a rear adjuster like they use on the cheaper coilover sets.
Have a look at AST coilovers as it has 3 different spring rates listed and there use.

Seconded, the ASTs are a nice piece of kit.

Excellent! Thanks for some really useful suggestions. I will look into custom, I have read that the springs are around 5 - 5.5 ish kg/mm, but would be good if that was confirmed (I've no way of testing accurately)

Getting hold of a used axle pair of cheap coilovers may be a more interesting way of doing it, although I do prefer to keep a standard look for insurance reasons.

P@blo, was that you at Anglesey last week?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Are you running ast's P@blo ?

Yes Colin, 4000 series/sportline 1 non inverts that I've recently begun playing around with. Done a cpl of trackdays on them now and initial opinions are good. Once I've got a baseline that I'm happy with I'll start experimenting a little more. You running them on yours or you thinking of getting some?

P@blo, was that you at Anglesey last week?

Yes, hi mate. One of my pics had your car in-didn't realise it was you. :)

xsp6698large.jpg

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I got mine 'pre-enjoyed' but there's no sign of shaft warp-needed a new seal kit but were otherwise fine. Granted the inverts would undoubtedly offer better side load bearing, but the 22mil shafts seemed perfectly adequate for me :)

What's the alternative you're considering Col?