ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how do you drive ya clio sport

i have been driving like miss daisy (changing gears before 3000rpm) for awhile.... today when i floor it, it felt sluggish.... anyone experience this?

clio sport 172

i noticed that if u give it a bit of stick for about 10 mins it seems a lot faster.....i know the rev limiter comes in later when u do that....as if the car adapts to ur driving!

lol @ the rev limiter comment.

When the car is cold the ecu lowers the limit to prevent damage, once its fully warm it then sets it at the correct level, ragging the f**k out of it makes no difference!

H22A7 Accord Type R

agree, if u potter about for ages (i do sometimes) its like the car gets used to it, so when u do boot it, seems to need time to adapt to it.........then it goes in "rev-me" mode :D

as above ^^^. On the "M" engined BMWs they actually have a ring of leds round the rev counter that initially are all illuminated and as the car gets up to temp the extinguish and as they do the limit increases with them.

Quote: Originally posted by R3OBC on 01 January 2005

agree, if u potter about for ages (i do sometimes) its like the car gets used to it, so when u do boot it, seems to need time to adapt to it.........then it goes in "rev-me" mode :D
More likely to be the valves clearing.

i floor it after abt 15mins so it should have been nicely warmed up.... i understand that the ecu understands ya driving style and if miss daisy was driving, it would respond like one. any truth to it?

H22A7 Accord Type R

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 01 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by R3OBC on 01 January 2005

More likely to be the valves clearing.

Yeah............but my version sounded more user friendly LOL

ok this isnt a driving tale... but i couldnt pass a subaru forester (assuming that he didnt upgrade his turbo), hmm.... my cs must be upset with me for not having daily training and sending her straight to the trials haha

Quote: Originally posted by BigBoreBri on 01 January 2005

Possibly due to a high build up of carbon on the valves etc?? :confused:
didnt think so cos i get on track abt once a month so figured i drive like miss daisy on other days

Quote: Originally posted by IsvenII on 01 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by BigBoreBri on 01 January 2005

Possibly due to a high build up of carbon on the valves etc?? :confused:
didnt think so cos i get on track abt once a month so figured i drive like miss daisy on other days
The build up will be from you driving like "miss-daisy"...

Hence why it clears when you start giving it some!! ;)

Anyone ever rag theres from cold? For the first 10 mins I always keep the rpms down <3000 while I let it get to temp, but sometimes its tempting not to :D

ok i got an oil temp in mine and it shows a warm up after abt 15mins of normal driving.... think that should be a good time before you give it some stick. then again, you probably gonna reach ya destination by then if you live in the city.

Yer thats the trouble isven, and warming it up in the drive first dont really do the job afaik. Oh well, always take the scenic route :)

I like pottering around coz after buying the sl*g, i can barely afford the petrol! lol

Its nice to boot it sometimes though, like where someone tailgates you on the motorway. I remember someone saying once that these engines were built for it - I think thats true.

Fiesta ST Stage 3

Castroal GTX ??? I say this because i get to my destination buy 5 mins so would this be a good idea as it does not need to warm up or somthing like that? + been driving like miss daisy too and driving home today and in 3 gear at about 2000/3000 rpm and give it some and have a old shape 1.3 mini cooper sat behind me is it just me or is the 172 just like an 1.1 befor 4500 rpm ??? finding that i need to change down gear more to see off less er cars ie dead below 4500 rocket ship at 4500 + .

^^ hmm... least i can sleep in peace cos theres another mk1 172 that behaves like this or are we the only 2 wif lemons haha

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

With out sounding like a typical 18 year old! The 172 has all that power for a reason! Ill be honest and i aint ashamed, after letting it warm up i cain it! Often sees the little shift light he he :devilish:

Like i have always said, y get a 172 and drive it like a 1.2????

My 182 is quick in any gear from about 2200rpm but its just past the 5k mark u feel it really kick :) Just wish there was some autobahn near so I could really give it some.

well like you said... but wif 10years of history more than ya, i had my fair share of tickets, near misses and accidents yada yada yada... i only drive like i stole it on track and miss daisy other days. then again, ya right i should jus drive it like how it was made to be heh

Mini Cooper S sport

I drive like Miss Daisy most of the time....I dont get many opportunities to cane it, I just enjoy having a car with power when I want it.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

i have a mk1 172. its slow as f**k till over 4k ish but how many 16v cars are like this! thats just what cars r like. unless uve got a turbo n it rips your arms off at 2k with all that psi your running! ;)

Yer a mate of mine has a type-r and he has to drive that seriously hard to get the performance out of it, like way above the 5k rpm our clios kick in.

I took my 182 for beatings earlier, great fun :) High speed (legally ofc) round about cornering (the big open duel carriageway ones) when theres no cars about is really something in the 182! As I came out of one hit a HOOGE puddle and felt the back end go before the ESP flickered on and pulled it back into line :D

Incidentally guys what speed u find u can pull in 2nd? Had a few goes on earlier tonight, hitting about 65 @ the rev limiter, cars done 2500miles if that effects it.

Always let the engine warm up. Like to give it some stick when theres a nice quiet stretch of road, generally im a very responsible and safe driver :D

Shhh

I drive the 182 within the speed limits until i see something i wanna beat or take the pi$$ out of....like 2 women in a Toyota something that was ment to be quick and it lasted till i got too 4,500 rpm and i was gone...

Quote: Originally posted by edgerfs on 02 January 2005

Yer a mate of mine has a type-r and he has to drive that seriously hard to get the performance out of it, like way above the 5k rpm our clios kick in.
tried the ep3 jdm spec and it was really torquey below the magical range...

i wonder how the 172 drives after cams+head+inlet work? loads of money and im such a wimp to want to commit haha

I drive it like i stole it, as soon as its warmed up that is. Also with the V i didnt bother running it in just thrased it right off the forecourt.

3 MPS

i wait till it warms up then usually drve normal unless someone asks to get shown up. but i have noticed tho , some times the shift light comes on just before 60 when i boot it , then other times i get 62 ish.

Wait till it warms up then just floor it everywhere. Only a 1.2 so even when I floor it, I still only keep up with the traffic

Clio 197

I drove my first 182 like miss daisy most of the time, and it was slow...

So, this week will see some S&M treatment for my new one!