ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How hard is an engine swap ? 1.2 > 2.0ltr

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
I own a 1.2 clio mk 2 ph2, was looking into doing an engine swap, how hard is it and what would need to be changed would it mess up the gearing etc?

330i. E30 Touring.
IMO, don't waste your money.

1*2's are so cheap these days you could probably almost do a straight swap if you sold yours and used the money to buy one.

53 Clio's & counting
Agreed, 172's are so cheap now it would be better to sell yours and buy one.Just off the top of my head you would need

Engine
gear box
engine loom
ecu
uch
keys+ignition barrel
driveshafts
hubs
suspension
the list goes on and on

Last edited by a moderator:
  Astra GSI, 172, Golf
search through the million other threads, they all have the same info if not more.

in short, more time and money than its worth. just buy a 1*2

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
I would and im all for the law and that, in most cases, but im 18, i race a 2ltr stockcar, and my road car is just so bloody slow, i was going to do it unregistered but then that invalidates my insurance :/ so i dont know what to do, now that my dads selling his car for something faster i need to tow my own race car and my 1.2 wont be able to :p

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
I hate insurance, i have a years no claims and been driving for a year and 5 months, i passed my test 1st time with 1 minor just over 3 months after my bday yet my insurance is still mad ! its 1500 and thats on my dads policy....its a 1.2 ffs !

53 Clio's & counting
How little faults you got on your test really doesnt mean much dude, you only start to learn when you start driving on your own.Take it from experience, if you cant afford to insure it then don't take the chance, plus no offence as if you race stock cars you are not going to be crap behind the wheel, but you really have very little experience of road driving, and that is a world apart from any type of racing - again from experience.

Evo 5 RS
Five years ago as a conversion I would of said yes, but now it's a big no. 172s can be found all over the shop for peanuts. You wouldn't be a complete cnut for trying though.

However, you would be a complete cnut for driving with a 1.2 on the log book. Just a complete waste of time and you're only kidding yourself.

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
on my own policy it would be 3k,i cant afford that and yes i am fronting, i see what you mean about the road experiance but i have been learning car control since i started at 16 but i see where your coming from, i know fronting isnt ideal, but what else am i ment to do if i cant afford insurance, parents want me to "get a sence of the real world"

in essence i hate insurance

just wait a year or two, it's the price you have to pay as a youngster!
sure life is a b**ch, but if every 18 year old was driving around in a 1*2 then all of our insurance would be alot higher!
and if you are choosing to front it, again as said you're the reason it's so high in the first place, knobhead. :(

182 Turbo Project
You need to learn to drive before getting a faster car mate.

That's not meant in an arsey way, just be happy you even have a car!

Most of my mates still don't have a car!

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
I hate insurance, i have a years no claims and been driving for a year and 5 months, i passed my test 1st time with 1 minor just over 3 months after my bday yet my insurance is still mad ! its 1500 and thats on my dads policy....its a 1.2 ffs !

to tow over 750kg you need to do a trailer test.

you will also need a car that can tow the trailer + the weight of the car, as A-Frames are now illegal unless its one with electronic braking.

a clio wont tow a sack of sh*t, let alone another car.

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
Look i know im a nob for fronting, but theres no other way unless i drive about uninsured then you'd hate me more. right ?

dads just got a new job, hes going back to work for te bank after running his own business for 4 years, anothe3r victim of the financial market b**ch. but anyway with that he'll get a company car, acording to their policy, any one with a years driving licence can drive the car on company insurance. so things are looking up. i might just rob dads car :)

Evo 5 RS
You might know you're a knob for fronting, but I couldn't care less if you stacked it. I'd just rather my premium didn't go up anymore because of your stupidity

53 Clio's & counting
As it's been stated dude you are technically driving uninsured - if you get stopped/have an accident and the police ask who's car it is, it is technically fraud what you are doing - being named on a policy is for occasional driving - im guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to prove who drives a Renaultsport replica , you or your dad.Again none is meant in a nasty/harsh way, just trying to help you out dude!

I don't think its actually illegal to do that, my girlfriends BMW is insured under my name with her as the registered owner and our insurance company told us it was fine for us to do this (and we did ask them). Only difference is that we both use the car equally

it is, its called fronting, if you are the main user it needs to be in your name.

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
i see where your all coming from, however, i live in skegness, i got pulled over after coming back from a race event late at night, i hadnt raced that day just watched, but i got pulled over, officer said to me, is this your car sir, i said nope, its owned by my dad, he said are you insured tho, i said yes, he said ok thats fine and just ran the car through on his compurter in his car. not a problem, cops seem more.....leenient over here

RacingBlue + IceBurg
£1500 a year on a 1.2! christ. i only paid £1000 a year on a 1.2 when i passed my test at 17, and that was on my own insurence 3rd party fire and theft. im 25 now and only pay £450 a year on my 172 fully comp :)

Italian 3.2 V6
Since your fronting your actually ripping yourself off even more than what the insurance lot were originally, as your paying for insurance you don't have so ur flushing £1.5k down the s**tter.

Pointless. Just Put up mate and for god sake, when you are braking the law the worst thing to do is to tell everyone on the net. School boy error lad, that will get you caught out.