ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How many times has the brakes on your clio....

Shed.
Saved your ass from a crash ? Ive got good brakes, 2 disks on the front and drums on the back, but bloody hell ive been saved from crashes so many times because of them.

Thing is, ive driven a MK1 Ph1 the other day and the brakes are no where near as good, no where NEAR !, and ive driven Saxo's before and they were EVEN WORSE !!!

So tbh, if it werent for the clio's reasonably good brakes id have crashed a LONG time ago by now lol.

Anyone else think this ?

Clio's have excellent brakes, I nearly went through the windscreen when I first drove mine. Saxo's brakes are mainly wind resistance when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
If I had no brakes I'd crash, yes. My brakes are rubbish so I just brake earlier and harder. They feel bad, but are actually quite strong when you stamp on them.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Brakes are supposed to stop you :p

My 172 brakes are faaaaaar better than my brothers old Cooper S's, they were truly pants

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Reno Grande Senic has the best brakes ever.

Shame i hate over servo'd shite

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Agreed.

I out braked a new Jaguar XK on the motorway a few weeks back during a very sticky moment.

visualize whirled pe
The brakes on my scirocco were quite bad and they were even worse on my old cortina but they stopped me sure enough when used for an emergency stop like darren said with som brakes you stamp on them and they work well.
The brakes in my clio were very impressive the first time I used them because I was so used to pumping the pedal on old cars to make up for lack of abs.

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
People also need to consider variables such as brake wear though. Be aware that the Saxo you once drove may have had worn pads and may feel completely different when renewed.

Shed.
People also need to consider variables such as brake wear though. Be aware that the Saxo you once drove may have had worn pads and may feel completely different when renewed.

well you say that. Rob informed me that he used to own a VTR (or a vts ?) and the brakes were s**t. had them replaced and they were just as bad. Ive had my brake pads replaced recently, 5 weeks ago now, and theyre not as good as they were, but atleast i cant feel the abs kicking in now lol. There was about 5mm of pad left before the metal. Fortunately i got the replaced just in time.

Less
the brakes on my Pug 206 saved me from Tboning a wanker that dived across 2 lanes of traffic!!!! I would have smacked him and the car...

See My Clio? Tell Me
ive not drien anything with better brakes then the clio has

best thing about them is my old man cant drive the car thought i was gunna end up with whiplash last time he tried then trying to show off he shot it straight over the top of a mini roundabout due to the quick steering

Williams 1

well you say that. Rob informed me that he used to own a VTR (or a vts ?) and the brakes were s**t. had them replaced and they were just as bad. Ive had my brake pads replaced recently, 5 weeks ago now, and theyre not as good as they were, but atleast i cant feel the abs kicking in now lol. There was about 5mm of pad left before the metal. Fortunately i got the replaced just in time.

i took my VTR out for a spin the other day and the brakes are wan* compared to the williams, also noticed steering felt too light and the seats were uncomfy and the car was too low, suspension too hard, and i used to love it b4 i drove the willy had it for 4 years, gonna strip the VTR and 106gti engine it as a track **** me thinks

CB600FS
Drive a brand new Megane/Scenic, I can put my clio on its nose but these take the piss. Imagine the full force of the Clio brakes stamping on the pedal, when you literally tap the brake in a Megane/Scenic it feels like they lock up.

Breaking A 172 Replica
I must admit I do think the clio brakes are good.

Quite a few of my friends have commented on this too.

...when you literally tap the brake in a Megane/Scenic it feels like they lock up.

That's just over-assistance though that many modern cars seem to have. It's bad for progressive braking and pedal feel. It merely creates the impression of superb brakes.

The brakes on my dads 172 are a lot lot sharper than those on my vee, in the 172 i've almost head butted the screen when braking while driving it, they are very sharp.

On the vee they are more progressive & no where near as sharp as the 172 (maybe it's down to the four posts vees have ?)

Shed.
How many times has the brakes on your clio....Saved your ass from a crash ?

Erm at a guess, I would say every time I press the pedal and the car actually starts to slow down :S :clown:

The question is about the comparason between how good the clio brakes are, and how bad other car brakes can be. And how that, if you had to stop suddenly to prevent yourself from crashiing, the clio brakes would save your ass, and other, shitty brakes, would not.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
clio brakes are unbelievably sharp! everytime i drove my ex's 1.2 dynamique and then his 182, id press them far too hard as in my ford the brakes only seem to work if you press them 3/4-all the way down so they take some getting used to!

CB600FS
...when you literally tap the brake in a Megane/Scenic it feels like they lock up.

That's just over-assistance though that many modern cars seem to have. It's bad for progressive braking and pedal feel. It merely creates the impression of superb brakes.

Yeah don't get me wrong Roy I wasn't saying thats a good thing being THAT sharp. At a guess I suppose its good for round town school kid runs etc, and reps who can't drive so it'd just be - slam on for roundabout in a hurry, do 10mph round the rounabout, then full throttle, slam on etc etc.