ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How quick is a clio williams?

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Basically it comes down to individual engines / cars....you get some slow un's and some quick un's!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Standard Willy is slower than standard 172/182/Cup. End of.

Amen! Hence why in every airfield test the std willy is approx 7sec to 60 and the 172 cup was 6.5!

and 7sec is bein generous! I'd tend to agree with the book figure of 7.4!

Clio mk1 hybrid
anyone in a 172/182 be shamed i had a standard valver run like s**t cos it had the wrong ecu at the time and raced verious clios and only one beat me b4 the 197 &that was a modded 182 going solo while i was 2 up now iv planted my williams lump in rollered at 176bhp only running a complete stainless straight thro exhaust and induction kit now all except other williams r easy picking i raced a subaru sti prodrive which is a 305 bhp toy n left him with ease again. RX8 dragged and won while spinning thro 1st and 2nd played with a evo 6 on a motor way lets say he tryed loosing me n i was checking his spots out while in straight ban area of the speedo exact position i started in n incase u dont no mitsu's mechanics say the evo 6 is the quick one thats without beating a suzuki bandit on drag 2 70mph b4 he left me lol any 172 182 think they could do that?? not a chance anyway Standard!! real clios all the way (williams /197 /v6)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
anyone in a 172/182 be shamed i had a standard valver run like s**t cos it had the wrong ecu at the time and raced verious clios and only one beat me b4 the 197 &that was a modded 182 going solo while i was 2 up now iv planted my williams lump in rollered at 176bhp only running a complete stainless straight thro exhaust and induction kit now all except other williams r easy picking i raced a subaru sti prodrive which is a 305 bhp toy n left him with ease again. RX8 dragged and won while spinning thro 1st and 2nd played with a evo 6 on a motor way lets say he tryed loosing me n i was checking his spots out while in straight ban area of the speedo exact position i started in n incase u dont no mitsu's mechanics say the evo 6 is the quick one thats without beating a suzuki bandit on drag 2 70mph b4 he left me lol any 172 182 think they could do that?? not a chance anyway Standard!! real clios all the way (williams /197 /v6)

Dreamer! DOn't get me wrong there nippy little cars, but you don't stand a fcukin chance again an evo! Come off it!!!

A Cliosport 172 has 156 bhp per tonne (182 will be about the same, give or take a couple of horses over the weight ratio) a Williams is 155, so there is absolutely NOTHING in it in a straight line. Lol at those pulling 6 car lengths on a Williams, no chance!

A Williams handles better though, and doesnt look like a 1.2, and having driven both, the Williams feels faster, is more brutal and is a lot more fun.

Talking standard across the board.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Dreamer! DOn't get me wrong there nippy little cars, but you don't stand a fcukin chance again an evo! Come off it!!!

Got to agree with the wee scotsman, you need more than 170 bhp in a mk1 to take a sti ''with ease''...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Got to agree with the wee scotsman, you need more than 170 bhp in a mk1 to take a sti ''with ease''...

My old 172 was over the 190bhp mark and i just about kept up with an STi!

The word 'ease' is stupid anyway. You need about 100+Bhp extra to pull away with ease!!!

PTW means very little when your rolling...On cam the 172 will win! been there, done that!

Better handling...Grey area on that one too...It's more exciting, in the same was swimmin with sharks is exciting.

All depends on the willy, if it's had a hard life, it will be tired and rolley polley. After i did all the suspension on mine it was pretty good! I had the RS shims on the back of mine (Set up at IFmotorsport)

MY10 R35 GTR

The word 'ease' is stupid anyway. You need about 100+Bhp extra to pull away with ease!!!

PTW means very little when your rolling...On cam the 172 will win! been there, done that!

Better handling...Grey area on that one too...It's more exciting, in the same was swimmin with sharks is exciting.

All depends on the willy, if it's had a hard life, it will be tired and rolley polley. After i did all the suspension on mine it was pretty good! I had the RS shims on the back of mine (Set up at IFmotorsport)

lol it was better handling without the big camber!!! ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

lol it was better handling without the big camber!!! ;)

Aye, 3 wheelin at 10mph was fun but the novelty wore off! ha

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
A Cliosport 172 has 156 bhp per tonne (182 will be about the same, give or take a couple of horses over the weight ratio) a Williams is 155, so there is absolutely NOTHING in it in a straight line. Lol at those pulling 6 car lengths on a Williams, no chance!

A Williams handles better though, and doesnt look like a 1.2, and having driven both, the Williams feels faster, is more brutal and is a lot more fun.

a 172 cup is much more fun than a williams

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Dunno bout that gary, granted i'm after a cup as a trackcar, but the willy was alot of fun! And set up well, it will outhandle the 172/182/vee!

Was funny at Cadwell, i could catch nearly everybody with ease, but in the twisty bits the willy's pulled about 2 car lengths! SO nimble!

Lol, you clearly havn't driven a Willy!

A good Williams will not beat a good 172, standard for standard.

Around a track, it will. The 1*2's are compromised for the sake of safety / added comfort. Its like comparing a mk1 Golf GTI to a mark 3. Almost...

I've driven so many performance cars, and drive various high performance cars everyday, from BMW 335's / 535's to Octavia VRS's and the Willy, a 14 year old hatch , beats them all for raw pace point to point, and for fun!

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It's a funny topic this, eveidently people will be bias'd due to ownin either or both.

For people to really comment, they really have to have driven and thrashed both!

If i was to sum up my experience into a few catagories:

Performance - 172 everyday but it was more modified...
Handling - Willy was more fun and chuckable, but i did often worry about it stickin to the road!
Looks - Both mine looked good! But the willy is a part of history, it will live on like the V6 as bein something special
Track - Willy is certainly fun, but i think a well set up cup would be just as much fun...

:)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
A good Williams will not beat a good 172, standard for standard.

Around a track, it will. The 1*2's are compromised for the sake of safety / added comfort. Its like comparing a mk1 Golf GTI to a mark 3. Almost...

Again thats a somewhat open debate, The same driven in both cars would be a fair test. The willy was 1.1s slower around knockhill than my old 172.

But i'm not comparing like for like...So bit of an unfair test.

M

mini-valver

Around a track I would'nt think there would be much in it at all. The Willy has a massive following for handling but everyone know the RS's are very well set-up too, aswell as having more grunt....

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Around a track I would'nt think there would be much in it at all. The Willy has a massive following for handling but everyone know the RS's are very well set-up too, aswell as having more grunt....

Will see when i get the cup...But i won't be keepin it std...So a true test is pretty much invalid!

M

mini-valver

Ali, what did the Willy have done to it though? Get the cup to a similar spec and hoon it around the same tracks you put the Willy on!

Clio mk1 hybrid
lol no ones gonna agree and to the person that wrote the evo 6 0-60 in 4.2 that was the Mitsubishi Evo 6 Tommi Makinen edition u cant compare that 2 a box standard evo 6 0-62 in 5.2 like i said befor thats book time

MY10 R35 GTR
lol no ones gonna agree and to the person that wrote the evo 6 0-60 in 4.2 that was the Mitsubishi Evo 6 Tommi Makinen edition u cant compare that 2 a box standard evo 6 0-62 in 5.2 like i said befor thats book time

your still not specifying which Model of evo 6!!

Evo 6 GSR, RS, RS II, RS 450, Extreme S, Zero Fighter, RS Sprint, RSX?????

Clio mk1 hybrid
well im guessing its not a Tommi Makinen cos i think a williams 4.2 is a lil extreem especially 2 up but i didnt really have time 2 inspect the car after he c me i think imbarrisment kicked in cos as soon as he c me he crossed all the lanes and turned off. all i no is the car mag i was reading it said the standard evo 6 does it in 5.2 its one of the newer mags 'which car' or something. n the old mitsu's mechanic i no said the evo 6 was quicker then the 7 and the first 8's then he left mitsu's after the fq 400 so take the model as u want but it was a hell of a lot quicker then the standard sounding 'sti prodrive'....this is the reason i dont want them 4 next car maybe ill get a skyline or supra lol either way its wot happened

bass_direct

ClioSport Club Member
  375bhp mk1 +Williams
For people to really comment, they really have to have driven and thrashed both!

If i was to sum up my experience into a few catagories:

Performance - 172 everyday but it was more modified...
Handling - Willy was more fun and chuckable, but i did often worry about it stickin to the road!
Looks - Both mine looked good! But the willy is a part of history, it will live on like the V6 as bein something special
Track - Willy is certainly fun, but i think a well set up cup would be just as much fun...

:)

Very true! i've always been a mk1 fan, i've owned 2 x F7r hybrids, various 16v's and currently have a 16v turbo... i've been in/driven and thrashed 2 x 172's, 1 x 182 and 1 x 172 cup, out and out every day car it would have to be the mk2's just for the sake of it being reliable!

handling, i'd give it to the mk1 as they are so chuckable and you can take it where you want, and you know it'll go there...however the mk2 comes a very close second... poorly setup mk1's can be terrible and you need to have one that's looked after/proper set up for it to be good

as for speed, IMO there's no way a standard valver (1.8) would beat a 172, when i had my first 16v (15.4 quarter mile) it lost to my mates standard 172 by a few car lengths... my first 2.0, which was standard engine, standard interior, was neck and neck with a standard 172 all the way, maybe only after 90 i'd edge, even then it was very close..

my modified mk1 2.0 (170bhp+) vs standard 172, well no contest really...

I also know somebody who has a 172 cup which is fully standard and my god it's stupidly quick! If only he brang it down to pod for a run... it's fully standard no mods (apart from backbox) and it keeps up with me in my current 1.8 16v turbo (200bhp) and jay's 180bhp hybrid (14.1 quarter)... so like mentioned before you get your good standard engines and your s**tters, that cup is obviously a good one!

Pod starts again soon... why don't we have another Mk1 vs Mk2 day sometime in the first few months of the new year?

My turbo should be back on the road soon, are there any other mk2 turbo's out there for me to beat :p