ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to drive first miles in Clio 200

Clio 197
Hello,

How do I drive my Clio the first few thousand miles when I receive it?

In dutch this is called the "drive-in" period. This can be: not revving above 3000 rpm the first 5000 km's, for example. I do not know the name in English.

I think the way it's driven the first miles is related to heavy oil consumption or not. during it's further life.

What are your experiences?

GB 182 FF
The engine will have been run in/bedded in/driven in at the factory to limit warranty issues..... so imho its just the brakes you 'NEED' to bed in and just treat it like a normal car.

Also in my experience, gentle engine running in leads to heavy oil consumption and shorter lifespan etc. The old saying of treat her mean keep her keen is pretty valid for cars :)

182 trackday racer
Wait for it to get upp to temp then step on it. Id make first change of oil and filter after first 1000-2000km

GB 182 FF
If the french are any 'good' at good engineering process, they would have broken the engines in at the plant (engine plant not car plant) and then dropped the oil to then do the production fill.

Hell the current Ford 'first service' is to check the oil level and top up if needed lol, no changing it there!

as said, you have a warranty, abuse her :)

Listerine & Poledo
Get it warm

Then bed in the redline.

Dont use 6th gear until you've got at least 3000k under the wheels

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Kick its hole in as soon as its warm.

The engines are tested extensivley anyway, i dont know why anyone bothers running the engines in.

Clio 197
Haha,

Okay you guys all agree with eachother.

But I wouldn't be too confident about that warranty.

I don't know about the UK, but some Belgian dealership's aftersales is horrible. A friend of mine had a 197, and sold it after a year, sick of troubles.

For instance: he had to fill up the oil, everytime he refueled it at the gas station :rolleyes:
His 197 was about 2 months old and broke down. Renault went to pick it up, but they give a bloody Renault Master as a replacement.
They did about 10 checkups in that year for all kinds of troubles. But they never got the real faults fixed. They also promised a new engine, because of the oil abuse, but my friend never saw any new engine.

Just saying that I'm not that confident in the Renault aftersales. My 197 ran flawlessly though.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
A guy I worked with got a brand new Cooper S in 2008 and had real trouble with BMW with aftersales. The engine used to belch blue smoke on start up and it took him a very long time indeed to get them to fix the problem as the issue was "unheard" of. I think intentionally abusing the running in times etc is a bad move in my view as there is no real guarantee they'll sort any problems for you efficiently should you have them.

Clio GT 1.6
Is this true about the 6th gear?
I've always used it to keep revs low especially as it states in the manual to keep under 3000rpm for first 700 or miles??

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Haha,

Okay you guys all agree with eachother.

But I wouldn't be too confident about that warranty.

I don't know about the UK, but some Belgian dealership's aftersales is horrible. A friend of mine had a 197, and sold it after a year, sick of troubles.

For instance: he had to fill up the oil, everytime he refueled it at the gas station :rolleyes:
His 197 was about 2 months old and broke down. Renault went to pick it up, but they give a bloody Renault Master as a replacement.
They did about 10 checkups in that year for all kinds of troubles. But they never got the real faults fixed. They also promised a new engine, because of the oil abuse, but my friend never saw any new engine.

Just saying that I'm not that confident in the Renault aftersales. My 197 ran flawlessly though.

Aftersales of Renault's is horrendous everywhere. Persistence is key.

PH1 172
thrash it from new! all new car sales man will thrash any sort of performance car on the first run, if the car needs petrol in it before the sale its more than likely been to the petrol station at mac3.

ITB'd MK1
I ran in my 200sx at 120.....on my own private replica of the A1. It made 294.1bhp a week later ;) Still holds the power record for an s13 on standard injectors and AFM (by 0.5bhp) :D