ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I am now riding a lil’ lower ! *PICS*

Well....... today Mr ChavyBoy and myself fitted my new Eibach Pro-Kit springs on my MKII 172 ! When I say, Chavy and myself I meant Chavy and I watched while I fooked up putting on my clear repeaters ! (DONT ASK !)

:oops:

Here is the standard ride height on the fronts, 13 cm from the rim to the top to the the arch :

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078697204__DSC01934.jpg

A few general pics of the car jacked up and Chavy. The first pic looks like we are stripping it and selling it for parts :

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078697414__DSC01936.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078697577__DSC01937.jpg

The strut removed :

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078697729__DSC01941.jpg

The new spring on the strut and the old spring removed :

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078697858__DSC01942.jpg

The rear spring ready to be removed :

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078697995__DSC01945.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078698124__DSC01946.jpg

.......AND HERE IS THE RESULT WITH THE CLEAR INDICATORS TOO :

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078698336__DSC01955.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078698476__DSC01954.jpg

These pics were taken just after we had fitted the springs so they had not settled yet and I have only just got back from a 250 mile journey from Essex to Swansea and it is dark so I will post some pics in the daylight tomorrow.

As for the feel of the car..... WOW ! It just feels so stable now when cornering ! AWESOME ! I am sure it is just going to get better and better when I get it out onto some good corners to test out the new suspension !

A BIG THANKS TO CHAVYBOY FOR FITTING THE SPRINGS ! YOU TRULY ARE A DIAMOND GEEZA !

:D

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Fitting clear repeaters? Do they not come as standard then? Mine (03) had clear repeaters, so that must mean the first owner fitted them??

Looking good Dai, my god the list gets longer:-

Zorst (DONE)
Front Strut Brace (Bought, not fitted)
Rear Strut Brace (DONE)
ITG Panel Filter (DONE)
PiperCross Viper (Soon...)
Springs (Soon...)
ECU mod (A way off yet...)
OZ SuperTurismo WRCs (A LONG way off...)

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

nice 1 mate,

dont suppose you know the measurement between tyre an arch be4 lowerin do ya? I cant see thr tyre line on the above pic! I forgot to take any pics or measure before i had mine fitted!

Coco, clear repeaters are NOT standard so they must have been fitted by the previous owner. I have a list of mods I want. If you are getting the Viper I would get it done at the same time as the ECU as your car will be running too lean otherwise, so I have been told. You need a custom ECU for it to work at its best so I have been told.

I am tempted by some new wheels now it has been lowered tho !

SilverRSC, mate from alloy edge to arch is 13cm, dont know the measurement from the tyre tho sorry. I will measure and post a pic of the new ride height tomorrow.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

clear side repeaters were std on the later ones, like cruise was std on most 53 reg, cheers mate, could see the 13cm but was sure that wasnt from the tyre! lol

I stand corrected, the clear side repeaters do look much better !

LOL ! It would be a proper 4x4 with that ride height ! LOL !

Just been out to measure the ride height now, it is sitting at 13cm still, should it have dropped a bit by now ? 6 hours later and around 250 miles ? Was the drop instant on your car mate or did you not measure ?

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

not measured it yet. couldnt see the point cos i had no idea of the original ride height!

dunt look noticably diff anyway.

It bloody feels different tho doesnt it ?!?!?

:D

I always wanted them fitted for the ride quality as opposed to the look anyway they may settle more in time.

Can you measure your ride height from the top of the rim to the bottom of the arch ?

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

measured from rim to arch

rear = 11cm

front 12cm

Both approx cos its dark!! Will get pics 2moz in the light

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Nice pics mate.. I will be sure to take some while I am fitting mine.. you measured before the springs but not after ? I take it you are happy with the ride quality still ? is the body roll reduced... that always bugged me a bit..

cant wait to fit my still MIA springs..

PS. NOWHERE has a 21mm swan neck spanner... . just a 17/19mm do I really need it or can I get away with a 21mm socket ?

KDF, the ride quality is much better, not had a good chance to try out around some good corners yet but the ones I did I was very impressed.

I measured before and I just measured now, it will take a while for the springs to bed in tho so I dont expect a change for a while.

As for the socket, not sure mate, I am sure Ivan can confirm tho as he pretty much did all the work !

Big up Mr Chavy Boy!!!

That bloke isnt scared to do anything when it comes to getting hes hands dirty. Good work Ivan, looks good.

James.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 07 March 2004

PS. NOWHERE has a 21mm swan neck spanner... . just a 17/19mm do I really need it or can I get away with a 21mm socket ?

Lol i remember driving about with ivan trying to find one cant remember what we did in the end, think we used a socket.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

bollox.. :mad:

Oh well should manage with the socket. So how long did it take you to do from undo-ing the first bolt to screeming round the corners :D

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by rockport on 08 March 2004

Big up Mr Chavy Boy!!!

That bloke isnt scared to do anything when it comes to getting hes hands dirty. Good work Ivan, looks good.

James.

Cheers mate, Ill have a go at anything most things are easy but people get put off by horror stories.

Oh BTW I heard a little story that you kicked a 182 arse in your beast ?? LOL I would be p1ssed if I had just bought a 182 :D Good work mate.

From start to finish it was about 2 hours I would say which is not too bad I think.

I think the tracking needs to be sorted so I will get that done but apart from that I am VERY happy, looking forward to taking it around Curborough in a months time to see how it handles the track.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 08 March 2004

bollox.. :mad:

Oh well should manage with the socket. So how long did it take you to do from undo-ing the first bolt to screeming round the corners :D
Mate if you are doing it for the first time about 4 hours, we did it in about 2 hours. BTW you might be able to undo the nut without using a 21mm swan neck spanner (Chances are it will be ok) but on older cars the nut might be rusted on so you will need one.

The reason for the spanner is the nut is recessed and you may need to get an allen key on the suspension strut (You will see what I mean when you do it)

I know mate, after seeing a MKI 172 and a few Valvers with OZ Super Ls I am very tempted by them ! Going to see if someone can photoshop them onto my car for me !

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by ChavyBoy on 08 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 08 March 2004 bollox.. :mad:

Oh well should manage with the socket. So how long did it take you to do from undo-ing the first bolt to screeming round the corners :D [/QUOTE]Mate if you are doing it for the first time about 4 hours, we did it in about 2 hours. BTW you might be able to undo the nut without using a 21mm swan neck spanner (Chances are it will be ok) but on older cars the nut might be rusted on so you will need one.The reason for the spanner is the nut is recessed and you may need to get an allen key on the suspension strut (You will see what I mean when you do it)

Okay so that means I will probably need about 8 hours.. 999 on standby and a firecrew !

Car is only 1.5-2 years old now so shouldnt be too rusted (cross fingures) I got the allen key but couldnt find the 21mm spanner, phoned round a few places and they dont have them either.. I will try it without it though.

_KDF, your car is the same age as mine. I was really worried about doing the springs as Chavy will tell you but once we started it was such an easy job, really.

Chavy had managed to fit one spring on the front and I will still fooking about with the clear indicators ! LOL !

We were going film the whole procedure and couple it with the guide and make a DVD to send to people but didnt think it was worth it, maybe in hindsight it would have been !?!?!?

Seriously tho, it was a simple job, just take your time. I dunno if I could do it on my own mind as I have never tinkered about on cars before but if you have done mods yourself in the past then it shouldnt be a problem, patience is all you need.

Just measured the ride height and it is now sitting at 12cm at the front and 11cm at the back so the front has dropped 10mm since the springs were fitted which is about right ! I like !

PS Can a mod please move this to the Exterior, Power and Mechanical board please ? I think it would be better suited there as it directly relates to the suspension mod.

Lee

BMW M2C

Im amazed Chavy stayed sober long enough to carry out the work. :eek:

Nice job though guys. :D

Moved for you too.

Me too mate ! LOL ! I had a fair bit to drink on Saturday night so that is my excuse for the clear repeater fiasco ! LOL !

Cheers for moving the topic for me Lee, appreciate it.

I did have one quick question to anyone reading this with a standard MKII 172, could you measure the distance between the top of the rim and the bottom of the arch ON THE REAR WHEELS as shown in the picture below :

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078697204__DSC01934.jpg

Could you post the measurement on the back wheels for me please ?

Cheers,

Dai

54 astravan 1.7tdci

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 08 March 2004

Lol i remember driving about with ivan trying to find one cant remember what we did in the end, think we used a socket.
use a spark plug socket as you can put the allenkey through and it got a flat on it for an ajustable.

Lee

BMW M2C

Ive just been down to measure the distance between the rear wheel rim and the arch.

I assume you rested the tab of the tape measure on the outside edge of the rim?

Mine was 12cm. I can go take a picture if you need one.

Cheers Lee, we measured it as you just said yeah. Yours is standard yeah ? That would explain the difference is height, only 10mm or so which is what I was expecting.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 08 March 2004

_KDF, your car is the same age as mine. I was really worried about doing the springs as Chavy will tell you but once we started it was such an easy job, really.

Chavy had managed to fit one spring on the front and I will still fooking about with the clear indicators ! LOL !

We were going film the whole procedure and couple it with the guide and make a DVD to send to people but didnt think it was worth it, maybe in hindsight it would have been !?!?!?

Seriously tho, it was a simple job, just take your time. I dunno if I could do it on my own mind as I have never tinkered about on cars before but if you have done mods yourself in the past then it shouldnt be a problem, patience is all you need.
A video would have been great.. maybe I will do a video of how not to do it !! Phoned K-tec though and the springs arent even shipped yet.. they are still waiting on them to arrive :mad:

LOL @ side repeaters.. just blame it on the drink.. good idea !

Thx to who suggested the spark plug idea.. dont know if you would be able to get a 21mm spark plug tool though.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by pete savill on 08 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 08 March 2004

use a spark plug socket as you can put the allenkey through and it got a flat on it for an ajustable.
good idea that.

I wish I had filmed it now, ah well. Whatever DIY stuff is done next I will film it.

_KDF, that has been ages now ! You want the number to Demon Tweeks ? LOL !

;)

I went for a blast in the car last night around some good roads with a few roundabouts scattered in between, the car just seems to power through the corners now, installs more confidence in how fast you can take the next corner ! Hopefully not too much confidence anyway !