ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

improve handling

campus sport
Hey, I have a 2006 campus sport 1.2 16v and i want to drastically improve tha handling. any ideas people?

thanks

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
How much are the Eibach sportlines, and do you need uprated dampers with these?

It all depends how you like a car to handle.

If you like understeer, then the modifications you would do would be totally different than if you like oversteer.

campus sport
i was thinking along the lines of a strut brace on the front mounts with lowering springs with some good tyres, i dont really know what else i could do :S.

To make suspension modifications the first question you have to ask is:

'How do i want the car to handle?'

From there you make the changes that will cause the result that you want. Bolting bits on and hoping for the best if like trying to have a piss in a bottle in a force 10 gale.

Generally if you do somthing to the front, but not the back (like fitting a strut brace) you will upset the balance of the car. If thats what you want because you want a sharper turn in and a loose back end then all well and good.

Renault dont spend a fair chunk of money setting these cars up for no reason. They will generally dial in a little more understeer than is necessary so idiots dont end up in hedges backwards. So you can improve the feel a little by getting rid of the excess understeer. Widening the front track with spacers would be one way to achieve this as would adding a small amount of negative camber. But if you go too far youll end up with too much oversteer and find yourself facing the same way you came into a corner one day.

Last edited:
  campus sport
some points that might help me find what i want it to feel like:
-reduse body roll
-hold the road nicely
-would prefer understeer than over

cheers

some points that might help me find what i want it to feel like:
-reduse body roll
-hold the road nicely
-would prefer understeer than over

cheers

Reduce body roll - stiff anti roll bar, rear anti roll bar. stiffer springs, stiffer dampers

Hold the road nicely - grippier softer tyres, a small amount of negative camber, limited slip differential

Prefere understeer - widen rear track, stiffen front anti roll bar, stiffen front springs / dampers

However, a lot of this is relative to the surface you are driving on. Bumpy B road require a much solfter set up that a smooth track to go quickly. Look at the difference between a rally car and a cup race car. The rally car will be higher, softer and stronger than the race car because it gets more abuse and the surface it travels on is less forgiving.

The best modification you would probably make is to bolt on a standard 172 / 182 suspension. You wont get much better than this for road use.

Do the track, the shocks and the springs. Use the anti roll bar and tthe RS bushes. The other thing that will help the handling is uprating the engine mounts.

Last edited:
  campus sport
Reduce body roll - stiff anti roll bar, rear anti roll bar. stiffer springs, stiffer dampers

Hold the road nicely - grippier softer tyres, a small amount of negative camber, limited slip differential

Prefere understeer - widen rear track, stiffen front anti roll bar, stiffen front springs / dampers

However, a lot of this is relative to the surface you are driving on. Bumpy B road require a much solfter set up that a smooth track to go quickly. Look at the difference between a rally car and a cup race car. The rally car will be higher, softer and stronger than the race car because it gets more abuse and the surface it travels on is less forgiving.

The best modification you would probably make is to bolt on a standard 172 / 182 suspension. You wont get much better than this for road use.

Do the track, the shocks and the springs. Use the anti roll bar and tthe RS bushes. The other thing that will help the handling is uprating the engine mounts.

how much will i be lookin at spending for uprated engine mounts fitted?

alien green rs133
i have fitted the full front running gear off a 172 so if you have any questions fire away :D

ohh and it handles better than a standard 172, and i have driven a few :D

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i have fitted the full front running gear off a 172 so if you have any questions fire away :D

ohh and it handles better than a standard 172, and i have driven a few :D
mines had the same , handles like fvck with it bein a van ( semi stripped ) , lowered and stiff arb , with rear strut

alien green rs133
i have a lpg tank in the back too, it makes it more 50/50 distribution, it just refuses to let the back end step out and when it does its sooo controlable, mind you i also run 25mm spacers on front and circa 7 degree's of camber :D

campus sport
o yea they would be nice but £600+ on suspension is abit much and then i would have to pay labour aswell :(
think im just gonna strut the front, lower it on eibach pro's and slight negative cambers :) .