ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

In need for better traction (wet+dry)

My 172 cup is useless in the wet its got no traction in 1st 2nd and 3rd. A mate at works got a 170bhp golf diesel, and i just could not get the power down and and now he thinks he's the man:mad:. Iv got continentals all round that seem brill in the dry, but in the wet a 1.2 corsa would do me. Can some one help me out with my lack of traction issues.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Upgrade to a set of Michelin PE2's, Pirelli P Zero Nero's or Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's.

If you're doing a standing start in the wet, don't forget to give it less revs than you normally would. You have less grip in the wet so it takes less of the engine's power to spin the tyres. Once you get going you should feel how much grip you have and should be able to depress the pedal in a controlled manner so you still accellerate but don't spin.

Titanium 182
My Conti's are fine in the wet. Check either of these two things, your ESP control is off or you're giving it too much power straight away. I can make my wheels spin in the wet if I'm driving like a tool, but feed the power in and you'll be alright.

lift number 1 @ btm
My Conti's are fine in the wet. Check either of these two things, your ESP control is off or you're giving it too much power straight away. I can make my wheels spin in the wet if I'm driving like a tool, but feed the power in and you'll be alright.

he has a cup ;)

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
My continentals are fine in the wet and dry, with the ESP off, it is easy to 'make' the wheels spin, but it's also pretty easy to get away relatively quickly with a very small amount off traction loss.

Plant your foot in almost any car in the wet and the wheels will spin, slamming your foot down in a 2.0l Clio is only going to result in wheelspin whatever tyres you have on.

I have no idea of your driving ability/experiences but it sounds like a simple case of just asking too much of the front tyres.

I know its alot to ask the front wheels, power, steer and break. I know to not over do it in first and get in to 2nd asap, but its when it gets to the 5k revs it starts spinning when the power comes in. Iv stripped the car out so it weighs not that much (964kg). I was thinking about setting the camber so the tyres have more contact to the road, and some polly bushes up front.