ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inlet Manifold (idiots guide)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi,

I know its been done to death on here but i want an idiots guide to porting my inlet manifold on my '03 172...

What tools do i need?
How long will it take?
When will i know that i've taken enough off?
Any do's and don't....?

Any help would be appriciated - will be looking at doing it within the next few weeks.

Cheers
Symo

Answers inside the quoted area.

bigsymo said:
Hi,

I know its been done to death on here but i want an idiots guide to porting my inlet manifold on my '03 172...
There is no idiots guide, people pay others to do it because its not an idiots job. So just be easy.....softly softly catchy monkey.

What tools do i need?
Die grinder (electric or air) and assortment of carbide rotary burr tooling, and either some cartridge rolls or a flapper with assorted grits.

How long will it take? Takes me about 3 hours start to finish non stop.

When will i know that i've taken enough off?
If you dont know now, you wont know when it comes to doing it. Best guide is just to stick to scribing out the gasket area and keeping within 0.5mm from the scribed lines. Removing too much is far far far worse than removing too little. A gasket match is all i would advise someone not familiar with flow work to do, it wont give the massive gain, but you also wont screw up the manifold.

Any do's and don't....?
As above, remove as little material as possible to achieve your desired result.

Any help would be appriciated - will be looking at doing it within the next few weeks.

Cheers
Symo

Or just pay someone who does it day in and day out and already has all the tooling.

Have fun!

top man - thanks for the info..
i'm pretty good with my hand so hope to get some sort of result.:D

just to confirm -

Step 1 - Take inlet off head.
Step 2 - Match inlet with gasket and scribe inlet holes. (ie use origional gasket as a template)
Step 3 - Use tool to grind inlet up to the scribed lines.
Step 4 - Re Fit. (will i need a new gasket?)

????

Clio 220 lpg
bigsymo said:
top man - thanks for the info..
i'm pretty good with my hand so hope to get some sort of result.:D

just to confirm -

Step 1 - Take inlet off head.
Step 2 - Match inlet with gasket and scribe inlet holes. (ie use origional gasket as a template)
Step 3 - Use tool to grind inlet up to the scribed lines.
Step 4 - Re Fit. (will i need a new gasket?)

????
going as big as the inlet gasket is to much , you will loose torque at lower revs and the rev limiter wont let you see the gains at top end

thanks
if i use the gasket as a guide but stay 0.5mm inside - will this be ok?
also
does the inlet manifold need to be done both ends?
also
are there any gains in repeating this process with the exhaust manifold?

All listed in my answer.

Exhaust, zero gains.

Do both ends of the manifold yes.

And clean it to hell once done.

Thanks BenR
Will do the work when i get back from holiday
Will let you know how i get on...

*Awaits thread, asking for new inlet manifold cause this ones fubar'd"

Good luck though mate.

As Ben said, if you dont know the answers to those questions, then i wouldnt attempt it myself, unless you know someone who does know what they are doing and is there to teach/watch over you.